Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Homebrew Player Tracking and EFT Systems.
| |-+  NLG Homebrew Player Tracking and EFT Systems.
| | |-+  S+ SAS RS232 interface schematics
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ SAS RS232 interface schematics  (Read 60030 times)
Mozart
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »

Here are two more.

* photo (2).jpg (411.47 KB, 1936x1936 - viewed 727 times.)

* photo (3).jpg (332.79 KB, 1936x1936 - viewed 708 times.)
TZtech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »

Those settings look fine although i must say its been ages since i did a setup for a tito environment with back of house server. Maybe one of ou USA techs that frequent the site can confirm ?
Mozart

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »

Hello Ian. I'm making great progress, and the raspberry pi is handling like a champ. Hi CPU usage for now, but it doesn't miss a beat. It runs with an FTDI usb to serial. Very stable.

Now that Game Kings are in, I'm off to get the S+ communicating as well, via DCS port (I read the 40 page thread on this, and I'm still confused).

Correct me if I'm wrong: a simple FTDI Usb to serial TTL cable will do the trick? It looks like the interface is required only for the J82 interface, not for the DCS.

(I wish S+ had RS232's at the J82 like the GK's. So simple!)

I have seen a tito system connected directly to the DCS, but I couldn't figure the interface. It was a multi layered board... I only know its possible at this point.

TZtech

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »

Thats great news - for S+/PE+ have a look at this thread - http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=11893.0 where I posted details on a FTDI to TTL serial. also see reply 30 in this thread. Or you could just use your current FTDI setup (USB to max 232) and build the interface or use a ebay RS232 module as described by Poppo in the thread.

What programming language are You doing your interface in ? Where You by any chance able to get stick parity operating properly using CMSPAR ?
Mozart

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 01:56:30 AM »

Hello Ian,

Long time, but "unforgotten!" :-)  stir the pot / get cooking

To answer your questions, I'm using C and FTDI D2XX interface with a FT232R chipset, and it enables mark parity and low latency comm through the API. I downloaded the Raspberry PI in their drivers page[1] and FTDI D2XX manuals[2]. Communication using J82 port is going fine so far.
However, I'm stuck on a problem. I have a few S+ machines that do not have RS232 interfaces (J82 is not RS232 compliant). I've built the posted schematics (TTL to RS232 interface) by Poppo (or Foster) and I can receive the SAS ID from the machine, but nothing gets sent. I've also tried using a simple FTDI USB to TTL (pins 9, 7, 5, 2 on the DCS), and got the same results. Receive no problem, but can't send anything. Are you aware of any detail that I may be missing? The FTDI USB-TTL appears to be a straight forward solution...  Scratch Head

If you need help setting up the serial port please let me know so I can post the code snipped that does that.

[1] http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm
[2] http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/ProgramGuides/D2XX_Programmer's_Guide(FT_000071).pdf
TZtech

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »

Cool - Good to know the D2XX route works - Have considered that before but never took it further. Code snippets to get this running on the Pi would be great If you are willing to share.

Ok so machine is chirping its adress ?
For S+ I recommend base SP1213. Also push your delay between polls up to 200ms. If that does not work let me know and I will dig for schematics for the DCS interface circuitry.
poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »

Cool - Good to know the D2XX route works - Have considered that before but never took it further. Code snippets to get this running on the Pi would be great If you are willing to share.

Ok so machine is chirping its adress ?
For S+ I recommend base SP1213. Also push your delay between polls up to 200ms. If that does not work let me know and I will dig for schematics for the DCS interface circuitry.

I've been PMing Mozart about his communication issue. I am used to a S+ where you have to supply +5V to the motherboard port. Not sure if the GK works the same way, but he has his RS232 adapter's 5v (power in) line going to the DCS port only. I'm thinking he needs to supply +5V like on the S+. But maybe the GK is different.  Scratch Head
Mozart

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2014, 07:03:27 PM »

Yes, machine is talking (01 01 01 01...) and I receive it properly, in a terminal. But when transmitting, nothing shows in the Comm Analyzer (when testing via GK's DCS port, same results). I have the same results when using USB-TTL (ftdi) directly wired, or using a circuit posted by Poppo.

SAStest also does nothing (it keeps waiting for a response to initial sync command).

BTW, on the GK, if I switch to the rs232 port (J82), it works flawlessly. It's the DCS that's killing me.  frying pan
Mozart

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »

Hello Poppo,

I will attempt to supply vcc+5 to the DCS interface from a separate power supply. I think I'm already doing this, via FTDI USB-TTL circuit (VCC pin on the ftdi interface, to the DCS pin 7), but I'll try a different route.

In fact, on the MAX232 schematics you posted (named "schematics of the year!  Hail ) I'm receiving 13vdc from the dcs, and regulating to 5vdc before supplying it back to DCS pin 7.

I'll post results. I'm close!
poppo

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

Hello Poppo,

I will attempt to supply vcc+5 to the DCS interface from a separate power supply. I think I'm already doing this, via FTDI USB-TTL circuit (VCC pin on the ftdi interface, to the DCS pin 7), but I'll try a different route.

I'm not sure if that FTDI USB-TTL supplies the VCC or needs the VCC. Since it is USB powered, it may indeed supply 5V. However, USB has a low current rating, so I don't know if would be wise for that to be an output.

In any case, if you use a separate 5V supply for pin 7 be sure to use a common ground with everything else.  You might also have to supply 5V to that FTDI USB-TTL board on the VCC line. Of course if you have a meter, it would be easy enough to just measure what is on that line.
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:01 AM »

I would use the +VB in the S+ to a 7805 regulator to pin 7 in the DCS port.
+VB is available in  the SDS (J9) connector pin 2

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Mozart

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »

No go  no

I've pulled the VCC line (USB-TTL to pin 7 on the DCS) and wired an external 5v power supply (2A). So... from the external power supply, VCC on DCS pin 7 and ground on DCS pin 3 (which is shorted to pin 2, according to IGT manual). Pin 2 is still connected to GND in the USB-TTL.

This way, I'm powering the DCS interface independently and have a common ground. I can still receive data (machine SAS address) but nothing transmitted (nothing shows on COMM ANALYZER). The TX LED on my USB-TTL is alive, but the vgm does not react/receive.
When I pulled the external 5v power, I stop receiving, which tells me that the interface is properly powered.  Scratch Head
I've tried also using a pull up resistor (750) on the SDO line as instructed by the IGT manual. RX works fine, just to rule it out.

Suggestions are welcome. I'm running out...
poppo

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »

Suggestions are welcome. I'm running out...

Not sure about the GK, but is it set up to actually accept the commands? I know on the S+ there are a few different settings that need to be enabled.
Mozart

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »

Not aware of anything other than Enhanced Validation and Redemption.
When I switch the primary SAS channel to 3 (rs232 port and using a straight usb-rs232), all works fine. Back to channel 2 and ttl, I only receive.

Do you know what else must be enabled? I can search for the equivalent in the KeyChip menu.
poppo

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »

Not aware of anything other than Enhanced Validation and Redemption.
When I switch the primary SAS channel to 3 (rs232 port and using a straight usb-rs232), all works fine. Back to channel 2 and ttl, I only receive.

Do you know what else must be enabled? I can search for the equivalent in the KeyChip menu.

I am not familiar with the GK, only the S+.

Does your USB-TTL need the DTR tied to CTS to trasmit? Do you by any chance have a logic probe that you could put on the TX line of your TTL converter to see if it's sending anything? One thing I like about the IGT RS232-TTL board is is has LEDs so you can see that it's actually doing something.

TZtech

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »

Posting BP schematics on new site - looks like issue may be with a gnd on pin 1.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:04:25 PM by TZtech » Logged
Mozart

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »

I'll check the new site...
I don't know if this USB-TTL adapter requires DTR tied to CTS, but I'll try. The TX LED on the adapter lights up, but it's on the way in. I'll try to probe it (even with a meter, to see voltage oscillating).
Mozart

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »

Gnd on pin 1, I'll try that and post results.
Please post link of new site thread, so I can follow. Thanks.
Mozart

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2014, 11:53:45 PM »

applause I think I got the DCS port figured out... It makes little sense to me, but it works.

Here is the recipe: I'm using a USB-TTL jumpered to 5v FTDI adapter, and the only pins in use are RX, TX and GND in the adapter end, going to 5, 9 and 2 on the DCS, respectively. The power provided to the DCS port pin 7 is 13v (not 5v as my previous assumptions), so basically I loop back 13v from pin 8 to 7. I also loop agnd from pin 1 to 3, to ground the power circuit.

So communications run on 5v but the internal DCS circuit needs 13v (which it has on pin 8!!).

To figure it out, "I threw the book away" and noticed that applying 5v to the DCS would lit the DS1 (LED) slightly (pale shine) on computer tx and nothing was received on the Analyzer. So... I decided to give it more juice (out of frustration!), and voila!

I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing this, but I have it synced since this morning and she runs fine.

Any thoughts?
Mozart

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »

It's been working fine for a week now, I'm assuming it's properly wired.
Any thoughts?
poppo

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »

It's been working fine for a week now, I'm assuming it's properly wired.
Any thoughts?

As long as it works and does not  Burning Resistor then all should be good.  Clap
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.