Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 05:24:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Bally 5500 series hopper problems
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 5500 series hopper problems  (Read 2499 times)
QbertWPC
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:31:58 AM »

I have a Bally 5500 series slot machine. I have owned it for around 10 years, although it has been in storage for the past 5.

The problem I'm having with the hopper is that when the motor turns for a pay, its going backwards in short pulses. This causes coins to jam under the knife. I reversed the wires on the hopper motor and it spins forward now, but the hopper pays very slowly. Since it used to work very well, and no one has touched it since I've owned it, I think the wires were on the motor correctly.

The hopper knife has been replaced with a metal re-enforced replacement from Happ, as well as the rubber agitator, and the coin deflector plate.

The motor and gearbox spin normally when attached to +24vDC on my bench.

I replaced 3 puffy capacitors on the power supply, as well as the battery on the MPU.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »

the bally power supply has two power supplies within the same unit. the first supply is the replaceable one held in place with four screws. It is located next to the big blue cap.  It provides +5, +12 and -12 volts DC.  the second supply is the one that may interest you. It is made up of components  D1 (bridge rectifier), C-1 ( 22,000 microfarad cap.) and resistor R1 (500 ohm). This circuit provides +24 volts DC to the machine. I believe the input to that bridge is 21vac, coming from the transformer.

Hope this helps.

Jim   

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
QbertWPC
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »

24v section results:

Bridge rectifier tested good
Filter cap ok...minimal AC ripple shown on volt meter, I did not 'scope it
19.9v AC coming in to the bridge rectifier
20.1v DC in the 24v circuit

The hopper is still pulsing backwards  Duh!

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »

The 24V at your work bench, are you hooking it to the hopper plug, or directly to the motor?

A ace Bally slot tech told me if a Bally hopper sits a long time, sometimes you need to press the forward botton and then the reverse button, back and forth a bunch of times. (Hey I don't make this stuff up, I just repeat it )

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
QbertWPC
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »

A ace Bally slot tech told me if a Bally hopper sits a long time, sometimes you need to press the forward botton and then the reverse button, back and forth a bunch of times. (Hey I don't make this stuff up, I just repeat it )

That would make sense if the grease in the gear box had locked up. Not the case here, and no, that didn't work.

When pressing the hopper motor forward button, the forward and reverse LEDs strobe for a moment with the motor pulse. Pressing reverse lights just the reverse LED, and the motor turns backward very slowly.

And yes, I connected 24vdc to just the terminals on the motor...I don't know the pinout of the hopper plug.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.