Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2024, 08:02:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Buck's Ahoy - RFA is corrupt - Hard Drive Failure or Other?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buck's Ahoy - RFA is corrupt - Hard Drive Failure or Other?  (Read 2169 times)
Viva_Las_Vegas!!!
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »

Greetings and Happy Holidays to All.  Allow me to start by saying I appreciate everyone’s time and guidance.  I am grateful that a forum like this exists and just contributed $50 to NLG to assist with the hosting and bandwidth costs.

I am not terribly computer savvy, but I am willing to contribute and/or pay for assistance.

I have a Buck's Ahoy machine that started to randomly reboot itself four weeks ago.  It went from once a week to once a day and now will not boot anymore.    At first it would come up fine with no intervention after it just rebooted itself.  Then a few days later it started to complain with the error of “MSVERIFY:  COMM ERROR”, but after a few power cycles and manual reboots it would finally come back up. 

Now it won’t come up at all no matter how often I manually reboot it.  The last three lines of messages on the top screen are:

Failed to open file:  Windows\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR
RFA is corrupt.
System halted.  Reboot to continue.

I called the firm I bought it from and they have had me try a lot at first (a few weeks ago), but now it seems they gave up and said it must be a hard disk failure and needs to be returned for them to repair.  I was hoping someone could provide a second opinion to verify that it is the hard disk drive, or to see if anyone had other ideas.

When this first started, the tech at the firm had me change batteries and measure voltages on the main bottom board and also inside the video display of the top box.  Nothing seemed to point to why it would just automatically reboot.  Now they just want it back claiming that only they can reprogram the disk drive.  Perfect timing – I bought this for the holidays, and now it does not work.

Thank You for any response.

VLV!!!
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »

I had a Bucks Ahoy with that error and ended up replacing the hard drive and bios chip, which was fine, but the core problem was the ram had gone bad. Bought a set off ebay for $8 and all is good. You could probably fix it for under $100 if you had to replace the hard drive, but it'll depend on which game software you're running on the lower MPU board. The short and skinny? Yes, you have bad software in the top MPU. If it's warranty, let them fix it. If it's not, place a want ad in the classified section here on the site and one of the vendors will probably come across with what you need. There's a process to getting the machine to work after new software installs, but it's not rocket science
Viva_Las_Vegas!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »

I appreciate your responce. 
It is under warranty, so I will let them pick it up and fix it after the holidays.
It was my wishful thinking that some magical button inside of it would force it back to normal for our party on XMAS.

Thanks again, and have a great and safe holiday.

VLV!!!
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »

NLG Welcome
PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »

Also, Welecome to NLG.  It is a bummer that your game is down for X-mas.  Had we all had known quicker before the hollidays--IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GOING --Then they could have refunded you on the costs!!--???.  Thanks B.
Greetings and Happy Holidays to All.  Allow me to start by saying I appreciate everyone’s time and guidance.  I am grateful that a forum like this exists and just contributed $50 to NLG to assist with the hosting and bandwidth costs.

I am not terribly computer savvy, but I am willing to contribute and/or pay for assistance.

I have a Buck's Ahoy machine that started to randomly reboot itself four weeks ago.  It went from once a week to once a day and now will not boot anymore.    At first it would come up fine with no intervention after it just rebooted itself.  Then a few days later it started to complain with the error of “MSVERIFY:  COMM ERROR”, but after a few power cycles and manual reboots it would finally come back up. 

Now it won’t come up at all no matter how often I manually reboot it.  The last three lines of messages on the top screen are:

Failed to open file:  Windows\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR
RFA is corrupt.
System halted.  Reboot to continue.

I called the firm I bought it from and they have had me try a lot at first (a few weeks ago), but now it seems they gave up and said it must be a hard disk failure and needs to be returned for them to repair.  I was hoping someone could provide a second opinion to verify that it is the hard disk drive, or to see if anyone had other ideas.

When this first started, the tech at the firm had me change batteries and measure voltages on the main bottom board and also inside the video display of the top box.  Nothing seemed to point to why it would just automatically reboot.  Now they just want it back claiming that only they can reprogram the disk drive.  Perfect timing – I bought this for the holidays, and now it does not work.

Thank You for any response.

VLV!!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.