Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:00:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  S2000 Hopper optics question
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S2000 Hopper optics question  (Read 44312 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

Just snip them off, or pry it out. You can always glue it back on. stir the pot / get cooking   And a non-blurry picture would help. Weird Eyes

Or at least see if you can trace out the wires and draw a schematic of it.
BCD
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 27

« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »

I put the meter to the optics collector wires and ground.  With the Neg meter probe to the optics Gnd and the Pos probe to the collector line there was a meter reading.  When I reversed and touched the collector line with the Neg probe and the Gnd with the Pos probe there was no reading.

Sorry 'bout the blurry picture.  I needed one more hand as one was holding the camera with the other hand holding a magnifying glass.  Add low light setting and you get blurry pic.
poppo

« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2011, 05:37:07 PM »

Hmmm... Then it seems like it would work. But I don't know what those cathode lines are for. Can you tell where they go on the board?

Also  You've Got Mail
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:30:39 PM by poppo » Logged
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »

I can't tell where the cathode lines go on the board.   I also can't get the blasted board out of the optics enclosure hissy fit!
poppo

« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »

I can't tell where the cathode lines go on the board.   I also can't get the blasted board out of the optics enclosure hissy fit!

I just sent you some more info that may help.

For anyone else following this, apparently this is a 'secure hopper' optic assembly and the photo-transistor side uses 3 wires similar to this which is like what is on the SAS RS232 board. Pin 6 is the output and pin 4 is pulled up to +5V with a resistor. So perhaps the collector needs to be pulled up with a resistor and the cathode is the output.  Scratch Head

* phototrasistor.jpg (8.07 KB, 167x98 - viewed 314 times.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:35:04 PM by poppo » Logged
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »

One last thing you can try, is connect a 10K resistor between the collector output and 5v . It might need a pull-up resistor. Any value over 5K will suffice. Just a shot in the dark.

poppo, this is in the paper you sent me from the slot tech forum:

The phototransistor is a three-terminal type. One side is ground, the opposite side goes to +5 V, and the center terminal is the output. When the light from the LED shines on the phototransistor, the output goes low. Just for a note: I could not determine if the phototransistor assembly was just a resistor pull-up design or actually the output of a logic circuit. I attempted to disassemble the phototransistor to no result. Not finding anything big enough to be a logic chip, I assumed it was a resistor. An ohmmeter measures about 1,800,000 Ohms from output to the +5V side. That seems rather large for a pull-up resistor. There is a 10K pull-up resistor on the Hopper Control board, so whatever is between the Collector and the +5V side is mute.

Notice the mention of a pull-up resistor in that paper.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the optics but I thought it interesting that you suggested the pull-up resistor.
poppo

« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »

See my ninja edit above.
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »

poppo, Sounds to me like your idea of a pull-up resistor between the power supply and a collector line is worth trying Clap!  I'll try wiring a cathode line to the counter.
poppo

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2011, 11:34:07 PM »

After some more thinking and research, I'm going back to what I suggested earlier. Seperate pull-up resistors on collectors. Outputs from collectors to meter, and cathodes grounded. I am really thinking that the lack of a pull-up resistor is the problem.

Also, do not be connecting the collectors together. They need to be kept seperate.

* photo-interrupter.jpg (47.31 KB, 864x432 - viewed 226 times.)
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »

After some more thinking and research, I'm going back to what I suggested earlier. Separate pull-up resistors on collectors. Outputs from collectors to meter, and cathodes grounded. I am really thinking that the lack of a pull-up resistor is the problem.

GOT IT!  I'm off to the Shack tomorrow to get some 10k resistors.  I'll wire the rascal up tomorrow evening and post the results.

poppo, thanks again for all of the effort you've put into this project
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »

applause VICTORY! applause

The three wire optics arrived and work GREAT with the counter!

I bought another S2000 hopper and it has the infamous "Secure Optics"...or at least six optics wires.  Not wanting to admit defeat, I am going to fool around with it to see if I can get it to work with the counter.  That's after I set up multiple comparitors to sort each coin twice in one run instead of feeding the high % coppers through the hopper twice.

I also want to fool around with an oscilloscope I borrowed to see how finely I can tune a CMI comparitor.  So many ideas...

Once again, THANK YOU to all who shared their time and expertise, especially poppo and bunker, on this optics go-round.  Without your help it would have taken a lot longer to accomplish what we did.

Forgot to mention that I'm counting 300+/- coins per minute! 
poppo

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »

Good deal.  Clap

Maybe the original optics were bad and the new 6 wire one will work.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »

I remember when you posted the Rube Goldberg question last month.
It was fun to see this progress into something you can use! Great stuff!
I'm glad it's all working and doing the job!  yes
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »

thanks again!
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2011, 07:52:30 PM »

Good Job!!! It has been fun to watch along the way!  Clap Clap Clap

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

Thanks again to all that helped with my Rube Goldberg coin sorting contraption.  "Our" sorter works great.

I'm now learning about DC circuits with the hope of one being able to power this beast using ONE 24V wall wart instead of three separate voltage warts.  I'm laying in a big supply of resistors!

Again, thanks to all of you that contributed to the success of this project.
Bart

* Christmas-magic.jpg (114.51 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 215 times.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:55:55 PM by CaptainHappy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.