S2000 Chips Explained
(1/5) > >>
knagl:
I'm fairly new to the world of S2000 and I wanted to put together a post that helps to explain what the different chips do, and their relationship to one another.  This topic has been brought up once or twice, but I wanted to get all of the information in one place for the future benefit of newbies to the S2000 platform, as well as to educate myself further as to what all of the chips do.

Below is my understanding as to what the various chips do.  If you have additional information to add to or correct what I've posted, please do so and I'll edit this post accordingly.

An S2000 game uses the following chips in order to operate: SG (Game or GME), SB (Stepper Base), VS (Stepper Version), and an optional MMLII (Multi-media Lite II) DSV SIMM card.

SG (Stepper Game or GME) Chips:

Roughly the equivalent of a S+ "SP" (or GAME PROM) chip.  The SG chips are the operating system of sorts for the S2000 games, and many support multiple game "types", using similar type definitions (Type 0 = generic, no nudging, no respin, etc. -- Type 2 = Haywire, Type 5 = 4th of July, etc.).  Per r273's post below, it may also store legacy sounds, control reel lights, coin validation, hopper operation, nudge and Haywire operation.

SB (Stepper Base):

Roughly the equivalent of a S+ "SS" (or REEL PROM) chip.  The SB chip is game-specific, and contains the paytable and virtual and physical reel symbol/stop information for the specific game kit installed in the machine.  A significant difference between an S+ "SS" chip and a S2000 SB chip is that a S2000 SB chip contains multiple paytables selectable within the machine (with the use of a keychip), unlike an S+ "SS" chip which only contains one paytable. 

As noted in this post, a special SB chip numbered SB001000 may be used in combination with a legacy S+ SS (REEL) chip to provide paytable information to a S2000 machine (thus allowing you to use a S+ kit in an S2000 machine).

VS (Stepper Version):

Controlls currency symbol, VFD format, and other options.

"The version PROM controls what is available to meet special jurisdictional requirements and controls what certain features and options are available. The label indicates STEPPER VERSION and the version number:

VS011CX0 - single denomination – Colorado ONLY
VS011CX1 - multi-denomination – Colorado ONLY
VS011GX0 - single denomination
VS011GX1 - multi-denomination
VS011GX2 - multi-denomination with denomination-plus mode
VS011GX3 - multi-denomination with fractional denominations
VS011IH0 - single denomination – Netherlands ONLY
VS011IH1 - multi-denomination – Netherlands ONLY
VS011IX0 - single denomination – International
VS011IX1 - multi-denomination – International
VS011NX4 - single denomination – New Jersey ONLY
VS011NX5 - multi-denomination – New Jersey ONLY"

MMLBII (Multi-media Lite Board II) DSV SIMM card (optional):

The DSV SIMM card isn't an EPROM like the other chips, but is a SIMM card with memory chips built in.  It contains sound effects used by the game, and is installed on a Multi-media Lite Board II that attaches to the S2000 MPU board.  Sounds can be generic (using a DSV 42), or game-specific (using a numbered DSV card specified by the specific game).

Again, additions and corrections are encouraged, please.  :89-
Ron (r273):
Based on some notes I have;

The SG (Stepper Game)  stores sound, lights, coin validation, hopper operation, nudge and Haywire operation.

The SB (Stepper Base) stores themes, payables, virtual reel stops and physical stops.

The VSO stores jurisdictional, denomination and controls what certain features and options are available.

So it looks like you are on the right track. :89-

Ron (r273)
poppo:
I have nothing to conribute except to say this is a great idea.  :89- I've stayed away from the S2000 platform because I am always reading about this chip needs that chip unless you have this chip, but if you have that chip you need this chip, and it makes me go.  :127-
Foster:
Poppo, it not really that bad.

I have not had to change my game chips or version chip to play a different theme (of course I don't have any vision or reel touch themes) but I do have themes that if I was to play them in a S+ I would have change from a 0,1,4,5 SP chip to a 2, 21 or 23, and I forget which game type is the Double Spin SP chip.

The only Reel chip not supported in the S2000 is the ST (tournament chips) that I have found
I heard that (I think it was) Chaos gave some one trouble in the S2000.

Even though 363 and 598 states that a VS011xxx has to be used, I have tried both with VX009xxx chips with no issues.
The reason for the number of Version Chips In a series (11 for example) is due to jurisdictional requirements only

Akso can a S+ during a Haywire re-spin randomly spin 1 or 2 reels backwards. Nope.
zarobhr:
Quote from: Foster on February 02, 2012, 11:47:42 PM

Poppo, it not really that bad.

I have not had to change my game chips or version chip to play a different theme (of course I don't have any vision or reel touch themes) but I do have themes that if I was to play them in a S+ I would have change from a 0,1,4,5 SP chip to a 2, 21 or 23, and I forget which game type is the Double Spin SP chip.

The only Reel chip not supported in the S2000 is the ST (tournament chips) that I have found
I heard that (I think it was) Chaos gave some one trouble in the S2000.

Even though 363 and 598 states that a VS011xxx has to be used, I have tried both with VX009xxx chips with no issues.
The reason for the number of Version Chips In a series (11 for example) is due to jurisdictional requirements only

Akso can a S+ during a Haywire re-spin randomly spin 1 or 2 reels backwards. Nope.

most of my machines use 363so i assume it is basically generic, but i had a few Slant top ones that had 251 in them and i upgraded them to 363. is 598 another upgrade to 363 or is there an upgrade to the 363
Navigation
Message Index
Next page