Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:23:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Uh oh...bought another S plus and it's goofy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uh oh...bought another S plus and it's goofy.  (Read 20255 times)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« on: April 18, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »

I've been looking for any kind of nudge machine and found this S plus on CL for $190. I started by vacuuming the spiders out of it (stored in a garage, with spiders, which I hate). I then vacuumed the dust out and removed many stray nickels around the inside, in the usual places. I looked behind things with a mirror, checked connectors and looked for any loose wires. The card-reading stuff has been gutted out, but the rest of the machine seems all there. The sides and stand are painted with latex. This machine somehow ended it's business life at a race track...they were the ones who painted it!
After all this, I powered it up. After pulling out the DBV to check for dirt or stuck bills (dang it...not stuck $100's!), I powered it up again and it cycled properly. I had a 12 in the WINNER PAID window. I pulled out the MPU and tested the battery...it's stone dead. Should this machine still work even with a dead battery? I'm not sure. My next question is regard the coin acceptor. It won't hold a coin. The chute thing is doesn't snap back to the left to hold the coin. It's like there's a dead spring in it. The third question is...the CC had 5c and 25c hand written on it. The machine denomination says 25c but what I pulled out from the back were nickels. And, just for fun the game chip is sp1048 and the reel chip is ss6256.
I guess I'll stop at this point and head off to the electronic store to see if they happen to have the battery in stock.

* coinc.jpg (774.95 KB, 2042x2698 - viewed 307 times.)

* Doub.jpg (1140.71 KB, 2025x2668 - viewed 297 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:02 AM »

You could tape the coin holder if you don't have a spring.
Or.... use a smartly placed rubber band?  rotflmao
No matter what you do, you need to have the correct coin in there held in place somehow.
I wonder if quarters will fit through the coin-in optics insert decoder guide?
Could be too narrow?
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »

Well stupid Fry's electronics doesn't carry the battery (another store that USED to be an actual "electronics" store). I may cannibalize one from my spare board. I'm not familiar with CC's, only old coin acceptor mechs.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:46 AM »

If you turn the sensitivity dial counter clockwise all the way then turn it clock-wise a quarter of a turn - you should be okay.

Don't turn that "dial" too much or your machine's payout percentage will change!  Crazy
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:52:51 AM »

I'll try that...thanks. BUT...will this work with a dead MPU battery? My spare board had a nice battery holder and I don't want to use that battery. The dead one has leads soldered on it. I'd rather get a battery holder for this one as well. Do you know who carries those batteries and the battery holder? Foxslots?
UPDATE: Duh...I engaged my brain, popped off the CC and the spring was just laying there! I put it back on. Still curious about the MPU and dead battery issue but I'm going to plug it all in and see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:03:11 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:05:30 AM »

ANY 3 volt battery will work to get rid of the [12] "dead battery" code.
It does not need to be 3.3 or 3.6 volts.
The code pops up from the MPU when the battery goes below a "threshold" of ( I could be wrong on the exact voltage number) 2.73 volts.

The battery never charges as there's no trickle charger in the machine.
However, the voltage it uses is so very, very small to retain the memory in the CMOS ram chip.

Some guys tape a radio schnack battery holder and solder two wires to the positive and negative locations.
I doubt that whatever you put will ever die in your lifetime ownership of this machine - unless you're 10 years old.... Tongue Out

Glad you found the spring...find any bills in the cash box?  yummy
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:28:19 AM »

Ohhhhhhh...can I just put in a 3v lithium as a permanent fix? Is there any way to override the 12 code just to see if this thing works? Right now, it just gives the code and both lights in the candle flash, the lower one is faster. I'm guessing someone converted this to nickles since a quarter won't fit in!!
No bills! Nothin! Just about 5 nickels. Darn it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:50:54 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:26:25 AM »

Try using 2 AA batteries
Battery holder makes it easier
If you are handy with electrical tape you can rig up a temporary replacement.
To keep from charging the dead battery, remove it, but cut the leads at the battery not the board so you have something to work with wiring in the AA's temporarily.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »

To clearly answer your question, no, the machine will not work when it detects a low battery.

Don't turn the jackpot reset key until you get the battery replaced, or you'll likely create an error 61 loop which will require a RAM clear chip to get past.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »

Ugh...already fiddled with the reset key since I don't really know what I'm doing. It still shows the error 12. I'm going to find some kind of battery today to replace the dead one. I wonder why IGT used this 3.6volt instead of a NORMAL, easy to find 3v battery???
Update, again - I actually found THE battery at our local MarVac electronics, a true electronics store. They gave me the battery (since it was the only one they had, and was old but good) AND a solder-in holder for $9! I'll get this in after doing some yard work and then probably be back here whining on how to clear the 61 error that I'm probably going to get. I know this has been posted numerous times in the past. I hope everyone doesn't mind repeating all this for the "still learning" people like me. I will try and look it all up first, before returning!

Okay, here's my novice install battery holder. I had to crimp on the tabs because there was only about 3/8" of lead sticking from the holder. I then soldered the tabs to the leads from the old battery!

I pressed the white button, got the ding and 61 1, then closed the door and turned the reset key. I had posted that it was working but it's not quite alive yet! It takes coins, but the BV won't take bills although it does cycle. If there's a WIN condition, it just goes into a fast beep mode and locks up. I can clear that but it does the same thing when a win occurs again. So, now I really am stuck!
 Scratch Head

* CIMG0135.jpg (1716.51 KB, 3259x2191 - viewed 328 times.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:33:13 PM by shortrackskater » Logged
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »

Do you have a SP1271, Set015 and clear123 chip yet? If not let me know and I will send them to you for free. Just pay shipping of $2.00. I am your friend from Timonium, we have delt in the past. They will make this a whole lot easier for you as we all get into this. The 1271 is a much more versital chip and more understood and documented. It also supports the type 5 game that this machine is. I have attached the PSR for both the 1271 and the 1048 for you to compare. PM if interested

* SP1048.doc (92.5 KB - downloaded 168 times.)
* SP1271_-_backup.pdf (541.49 KB - downloaded 598 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »

I have three chips that came with my other machine, the Money Storm. There are two that say IGT S+ SET and one that says IGT S+ CLEAR. The machine is sort of working...do I need to do this anyway? For some reason I thought checked a lot of stuff in my Money Storm w/o any set and clear chips? Anyway...will these work with my DD Deluxe? Let me know. I'm assuming I have the "other" chip. I'm really confused on those numbers set 15, clear 123, etc. If those are better, then I'd like them anyway. Would they work for my Money Storm and my regular Double Diamond as well?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:02:16 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »

The simple answer for most of your questions is....YUP!  yes

Now go to this link for the rest of the story....>>>

http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/dbv.htm
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 02:07:08 AM »

Okay...I put in the set chip I had...did what it said. My BV is enabled. I went through and check the denomination, put the chip back in and now the hopper is working but still no BV. There are red lights inside but it won't take a bill. Also it paid out my three nickles but did and Error 3300. I guess I need to fill it more or change that!
Hopper worked once...now it wont after I put nickels in it. Machine just beeps fast  and locks up if theres a payout condition.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:15:20 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 02:17:50 AM »

The head of the bill acceptor comes off pretty easily.
You may have dirty bill optics that are NOT seeing the bill when you insert it.
Clean all plastic optics with plain warm soapy water and a clean cotton rag.
Under NO circumstnces do you use any cleaning solvent that has alcohol in it.
The alcohol will only make bill acceptance worse because it degrades and clouds the plastic lens!!!
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 02:22:12 AM »

Thanks...I will do that.
BUT...now stuck with bip bip bip bip bip bip bip at any win.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 02:24:28 AM »

You gotta go into the menus and raise your hopper limits.

Know how to do it?

What SP chip you have installed in there?
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:15 AM »

I should by now after reading this exact thing before!  Silly Me!
It did just pay properly for aTWO coin payout.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 02:37:43 AM »

Hmm...maybe you've got a 2 coin SS chip and a 3 coin award glass?
I knew I smelled something fishy here and it ain't tuna!  rotflmao
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 02:44:02 AM »

Well when I had the set chip in there, I set the demonination to 5...it is a nickle machine. It pays 2 but wont at 5! It just "bips."
sp1048
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 02:47:53 AM »

It "bips" because the machine is "locked up" and in "Hand-pay" mode.
You need to raise the limits so you can get larger wins to the credit display window on the reel glass display.
You only want the "bips" when you hit either the top award or the top two award winning payout combinations.

By the way, the "bips" really should be a bell sound if you have a bell installed -
I prefer flashing lights and confetti cannons... rotflmao

See this link below to find out what SS and SP chips you have installed...>>>

http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/SPSS.htm
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 02:52:52 AM »

the game chip is sp1048 and the reel chip is ss6256.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 02:54:46 AM »

oh! I didn't see that!   Duh!

Coorslight light gave you the pdf instructions too! Great!
You have all the tools at your disposal !  applause

The PSR sheet for the SP1048 will give you everything you need to know on setting everything up!
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 02:57:47 AM »

I acutally had already printed that PSR from a long time ago! I'll try this again...confusing...it makes sense when I'm reading it when someone else has the same problem but, now it's me!!! Perhaps I should get a glass of wine? love whiskey

Already lost...it says "prior to installing the set chip, install the game chip and enter into self test mode..."
The game chip is already there. What does this mean?

I forgot...I'm in California! Everyone's asleep by now!  sleep
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:13:59 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »

Okay, one issue at a time, please.  Let's not worry about the SET chip at all until we get your hopper limits fixed.  The SET chip is only for the bill validator, so let's get the rest of the machine working and worry about that last.

Press the white Self Test switch a number of times until the number 7 appears in the Coins Played window, and the number 1 appears in the credits window.  This is the Hopper Limit setting.

Use a combination of the Spin Reels button and the jackpot reset key to change what is displayed in the Winner Paid window.  Whatever value you set here is the maximum number of coins that the hopper will pay out.  If you want to have the machine pay a maximum of 100 coins out of the hopper (and lock up into a handpay mode ("bip, bip, bip") if the player tries to cash out more than 100 credits), then set this value in the Winner Paid window to 100.  Set this value to whatever you want the maximum hopper payout in one cash-out to be.  Please make a note of what value you set this to.

Press the self test button again to advance to 7-2 (7 in Coins Played, 2 in Credits).  This is the Jackpot Limit setting.  Any single win over the limit you set here will trigger a handpay.  For your 5-coin Double Diamond Deluxe game, may I suggest a setting of 399?  This will cause any win of three red 7s (or better) (with max bet) to trigger a handpay "jackpot" condition.  (You may, of course, set this to whatever number you like.)  Please make a note of what value you set this to.

Press the self test button again to advance to 7-3 (7 in Coins Played, 3 in Credits).  This is the Credit Limit setting.  This setting limits the maximum number of credits a player can accumulate.  I would suggest setting this to 9,999.

According to the PSR, the next press of the button will bring you to 7 in Coins Played and nothing in Credits.  This is the Bill/Coupon Acceptor Credit Limit setting.  This setting determines the maximum number of credits that can be accumulated before the game stops accepting dollar bills.  Set this to 9,999 also.

Press the self test button again and you should be at 8 in the Coins Played window.  Ensure that this setting (the Winner Paid window) is zero.

Press the self test button a number of times until you get past all of the possible option settings and exit out of the menu.  The machine will pause for a second or two, and then the displays will come back to life after the settings have been saved.  Close and latch the door, and try playing the machine with coins to see if it behaves more like you want it to.  If it does, we can tackle the bill validator next.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.