Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:18:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  WMS Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Wms 400 backplane 24c04
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wms 400 backplane 24c04  (Read 3904 times)
PaulV
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »

I've seen several references to this eeprom being bad on the backplane and that it should be replaced. My question is, what does this eeprom contain? Do you need to obtain a pre-programmed game specific eeprom or is it to be replaced by a "blank" eeprom and it will be programmed when the game runs, or what?
Slotmaster
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »

Blank and it stores the SN# of the CPU board and soft meters information from the CPU.  It's real function is to know when you changed the backplanes or the CPU board.  The software will request a clear to everyone honest.   One could swap boards and cheat the operator with a lower soft count etc. 

Also note that there are not that many failures seen.  

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:36:44 PM by Slotmaster » Logged
PaulV
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »

Thank you,

I have a problem with my Jackpot Stampede Deluxe, dot FAIL on the LEDs and Buffer Overflow 0x0055 (and other 0x00?? addresses) on the Dotmation screen. Seems to be a communications issue between lower and upper cpu boards. Someone indicated that it might be the serial EEPROM on the backplane, that's why I'm checking.

Meanwhile, I've scoped the serial port at the Dotmation controller, I see the Dotmation controller trying to transmit data to the main CPU on the TR1 output line but no data is coming back from the main CPU board on the RX1 input line. Can't figure how to get scope probes on the lower CPU board with it plugged into the cage. Scoping the serial cable at the backplane gives the same results as scoping the serial lines on the Dotmation controler itself, so I'm beginning to feel the problem is with the serial port on the lower CPU board. This is an intermittent problem, sometimes (maybe 5% of the time) the machine will power up normally and run for hours, then fail with the buffer overflow problem. The other 95% of the time, at power on I get the dot INIT process, Williams, then Prom 1 and Prom 2 checks show on the dotmation display, then the Buffer Overflow message along with dot FAIL. I'm kinda leaning towards locating a replacement lower CPU board and swap it out to see if that solves my problem. Do you know of a source for a lower CPU board, and I guess I should get a RAM clear chip as well, know of a source for those?

Thanks!

Slotmaster

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »

Thank you,

I have a problem with my Jackpot Stampede Deluxe, dot FAIL on the LEDs and Buffer Overflow 0x0055 (and other 0x00?? addresses) on the Dotmation screen. Seems to be a communications issue between lower and upper cpu boards. Someone indicated that it might be the serial EEPROM on the backplane, that's why I'm checking.

Meanwhile, I've scoped the serial port at the Dotmation controller, I see the Dotmation controller trying to transmit data to the main CPU on the TR1 output line but no data is coming back from the main CPU board on the RX1 input line. Can't figure how to get scope probes on the lower CPU board with it plugged into the cage. Scoping the serial cable at the backplane gives the same results as scoping the serial lines on the Dotmation controler itself, so I'm beginning to feel the problem is with the serial port on the lower CPU board. This is an intermittent problem, sometimes (maybe 5% of the time) the machine will power up normally and run for hours, then fail with the buffer overflow problem. The other 95% of the time, at power on I get the dot INIT process, Williams, then Prom 1 and Prom 2 checks show on the dotmation display, then the Buffer Overflow message along with dot FAIL. I'm kinda leaning towards locating a replacement lower CPU board and swap it out to see if that solves my problem. Do you know of a source for a lower CPU board, and I guess I should get a RAM clear chip as well, know of a source for those?

Thanks!

I am not sure why the backplane would be the issue here?  

I have also seen that the top dot eproms do not match the lower game cause buffer issues.    

Can you list the eprom versions you have for top and bottom?

I only see a few things that would be suspect in the order of what I would work with first.

(1) - Eproms (Versions and actual eproms)
(2) - Top DOT controller
(3) - CPU
(4) - I/0
(5) - Power TOP and Bottom
(6) - add a ferrit on the comm cable

Just my guess
PaulV
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »

Thanks,

I don't know why the Backplane would be an issue either except for the cable connections that go thru it from the CPU board to the Serial output cable connection. Wasn't sure what the 24C04 was for, someone else had recommended replacing that chip as a possible problem.

I should preface this by saying the machine worked flawlessly for several weeks before the problems began, so the upper and lower eproms should have been fine and matched to start with. And now on the few occassions when the machine still does manage to start up, it performs flawlessy for several hours before failing with the Buffer Overflow.

1) Here are the eproms levels - I checked them and the checksums match what's on the labels:

CPU Board - CPU=80C188
XU2 Jackpot Stampede Dlx 078-92-1600-3 U02 1MB 6B46 (V5-00 (or V5.10, it's hard to read, blurred)
XU3 Jackpot Stampede Dlx 078-G-500 U03 4MB 38CB (V5-10)
XU17 Jackpot Stampede Dlx 078-SND-401 U17 8MB 3000 (V4-01)
XU30 Jackpot Stampede Dlx 078-SND-401 U30 8MB AD00 (V4-01)
XU31 Jackpot Stampede Dlx 078-SND-401 U31 8MB 3100 (V4-01)

Dotmation Board - CPU=MC68HC11A0FN
XU3 Jackpot Stampede Deluxe 078-DOT-XU3 (V1.00) 7-9-98 4MB B2DA DOTMN 1 of 2
XU4 Jackpot Stampede Deluxe 078-DOT-XU4 (V1.00) 7-9-98 4MB CF01  DOTMN 2 of 2
XU10 Jackpot Stampede Deluxe 078-DOT-XU10 (V5.14) 11-12-98 1MB 9F65  DOTMN SYS 1 of 1

2) I have a Dotmation Controller on order to swap it out, hopefully it is a good one, used of course.

3) I don't have a replacement CPU board so looking for one as a spare.

4) No spare I/O board either, but I think from what  I can see, the serial data lines go directly from the CPU board to the Backplane board to the cable connection, up to the Dotmation controller, so I've pretty much discounted the I/O board for the time being anyway. Sure wish I could locate actual schematics of all these PCB's.

5) I've scoped all the power connections top and bottom, all voltages are clean (no ripple) and maintain levels between no-load and load. I did swap out the upper supply with one of the ATX options with the same results.

6) I've got a bunch of ferrite cores, I'll add a few tonight when I get home to try.

That's where I stand now.......... Scratch Head

PaulV
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »

I think my problem is resolved, details here:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?action=post;topic=7661.0;num_replies=8
Slotmaster

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »

Good Deal

At least the prolblem was #3 on my list. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.