Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT I-Game and Game King.
| | |-+  Thoughts on I-Game Simms
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on I-Game Simms  (Read 4180 times)
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 624

« on: July 11, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »

Can a sound simm be used as a pxl simm and vice a versa ???

They sure look the same .....

also what the heck is a CGF
Tilt
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »

Yes, as long as the SIMM can hold all the data.  You can put a 8MB file on a 16MB SIMM, but obviously not the other way around.  The DIP switches set up the size and starting address for the data.  You need a programmer too obviously.

CGF (Color Graphics Flash) handle graphics data.  They come in 4 & 8MB sizes, and unlike the the snd/pxl simms, you can't put a 4MB CGF flash file on a 8MB CGF SIMM. SInce there aren't any DIP switches to set the size/address on them, the system will see the extra 4MB of empty space and will include it in the checksum calculation, which will cause it to fail.

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »

why why why are they different??????

It stresses my brain that they made two different physical "things" when you can have an 8 mb pxl game with an 8 mb cgf -  unicorn comes to mind

Tilt

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

Not really sure, but I suspect it's because of video processor's requirements.  Similar to the way video graphics memory is separate and different from RAM (program) memory in most computers. 
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:30:39 AM »

Tilt I didn't have a 8 meg pxl simm ( what I needed ) so I coped the 8 meg file twice and pasted it once and put it into a 16 meg simm. Exactly the same way I do a eprom. My question is could a CGF 4 mg file be burned into a 8 meg CGF using this same method, copy twice and paste once ??? 

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Tilt

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »

Hi Buzz,

You probably only needed to copy the 8MB file to the 16MB SIMM once, and set the dip switches according what they should be for the 8MB SIMM.  Give it a try and see what happens if you have some time. 

As far as I know that won't work either.  In the same way that the system calculates the 4MB of empty space in to the checksum it will calculate the second set of data in, and you'll end up with a checksum error still. 

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »

Oh with out doubt it's going to change the check sum, but there will not be any empty spaces because the 4 meg files are in the 8  meg simm twice.

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:13:51 AM »

Tilt  I've been messing around for a couple of days trying to program Dragons Gold in a 4 meg CGF. programs OK but will not verify with out a bunch of errors. I've about come to the conclusion I have about 15 bad 4 meg CGF simms. That or a corrupt file.  OK I just programmed that same file into a 8 meg CGF simm. Original file had a check sum of 4540 and data ended at line 003FFFF0, the new check sum is 8A80 and data ends at line 007FFFF0.

If I have time I will install it later tonight and see if the game plays. Sure pisses me off that I have to use up a 8 meg simm in a 4 meg game.

Tilt

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »

I think that you probably have a bad file.
djkompressor
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »

pxl and snd simm yes. CGF i actually have never tried.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »

pxl and snd simm yes. CGF i actually have never tried.

If your talking about off setting the simms I did try that last night and it didn't' work. But i think I'm working with a corrupt file. Today I found another copy of that file and received the same results, simm will not verify. Matter of fact if I use a AMD simm most times I will get 29 errors ( one time 42 ), but if I use a ST simm I will get 1727 errors one time it was 1766 errors. Now what the brand name on a simm has to do with the number of errors I don't have a clue. Let me be clear this is using about 15 different 4 meg CGF simms. Once today I programmed Elephant King CGF and it verified good no errors, without touching the simm I programmed Dragons Gold in that simm, guess what 29 errors.

You know what I think, I think I allready don't like Dragons Gold.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.