Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally 1964 ??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 1964 ??  (Read 7354 times)
azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 7

« on: October 20, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »

I just picked this up and predates anything I have worked on.
The machine will accept the coin, lets you pull the handle but handle does not release and reels fail to spin
Where do I start ??
Thanks for your suggestions in advance !!

* 1964 Bally.jpg (1445.36 KB, 1952x3264 - viewed 247 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »

Sound to me that the air cylinder one the right side of the reels assemble is all gummed up. The rubber seal inside the cylinder melts and turns to tar. Remove the four Phillips screw holding it to the reel and the E-Clip and pin. Take the piston out of the cylinder and remove what's left of the cup seal. Clean the inside of the cylinder and the piston. Next you need to use a small amout of grease on the piston and reassemble. You do not need the cup seal to make it work. One thing I forgot is to make sure the small air hole in the bottom of the cylinder is open. Don't get carried away with the grease or you will have a mess to clean up. I speak from experiance.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »

Thanks Gary !!
I will give that a try this morning.
I also went through some of the old notes in BM and the machine functions just as stated but found no fix for the stuck handle!!
Jackpot
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 124

I buy-Sell-Restore & have parts for older slots

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »

Gary's advice is right on!
     I would also wire brush all the Beau plug pins on the mechanism and the hopper, most of these are made out of aluminum and they corode over time causing circuts to fail, I always hit these pins hard, and first with those tooth brush sized wire brushes before I go after any circut issues, and another great tip, is after that I shoot them with a shot of Corrosion-X which is the best thing invented after the wheel, it's a live saver for those old light sockets, and connectors, it's the one and only fix for these problems. You can get this stuff on line at:

http://corrosionxproducts.com/

I use the one in the Red can, CorrosionX 6 oz. aerosol

I told a friend that repairs pinball machines "Pinball Dave" about this stuff years ago, and he loves me for that tip! He said that it was top notch for all his light bulb problems, now he doesn't even have breakfast without a can of this stuff in his back pocket!

Jackpot Silly Me! Cry Laughing

azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »

Ok the cylinder had been removed, cleaned and lubed. The air hole at bottom was plugged but now open, I have perviously cleaned the contacts (Thanks Jackpot ) put back and still have same issue. You insert quarter light says coin accepted, pull the handle and nothing. I did get the reels to spin 1 time ( dont know how it happened did it on first pull after I put back in machine) so I must manualy lift up little metal stop and pull back piston rod to let handle go back to upright postion.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »

Still sounds like the machine all gummed up...  Remove the reels you need to check all the pivot rod and linkages and levers under the reels are moving freely. Check your back shaft too. Have you tried your handle with out the reels in the machine to see if it work correctly?

Gary

azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »

I have tried to pull handle with reels out by pushng little lever, it pulls fine but does not return to upright postion
I have to push little metal piece with 1 side spring attached as well as a lever in the back towards the bottom
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

That's how it works.. You have to hold the top lever down to release it, then push down on the flat lever in the back to return it to the starting position.. If that works smoothly, then I would have to guess your problems now with the reels assembly.

Gary

azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »

Ok still have same issue while reels are out they seem to move freely
Here are some pics it looks like in the 1 pic something could be missing

* OB1.jpg (1222.5 KB, 1952x3264 - viewed 269 times.)

* OB3.jpg (1518.99 KB, 1952x3264 - viewed 262 times.)
azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »

Another Pic

* OB2.jpg (903.97 KB, 1952x3264 - viewed 273 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »

Pic 1 looks fine.. That coil energizes when the coin is accepted. Then the lever drops allowing the handle to be pulled. Once pulled the lever to the rear of the handle is pushed down by a stud bearing located on the lever located on the right rear side of the reels. When that lever is depressed behind the handle it allows the handle to return to the start position. What I would do is test spin the reels outside of the machine to see if they operate correctly. This can be done by the use of a large screw driver. On the right side of the reels are 2 half gears. Front one has a stud bearing, the second has a hole in it. I put a 1/4 bolt in the hole then put the screw driver over the bearing and under the bolt. Now use the screw driver to cycle the reels. If they are working correctly they should spin and the reels assemble will cycle and lock if they don't or do it slowly your reels linkages and pivot needs to be cleaned and oiled.

Gary

azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »

Gary,
Did what you sai and you can see in the pic I put bolt in hole and worked the reels. When i did that the wheels did not move or lock because that proceedure with the screwdriver did not allow the rod to be pushed far enough. But if you look in the other pic. the brown lever I push thay up and the reels spin and lock very smooth. Do I need to make some adjustment on the rod ??

* OB4.jpg (1440.77 KB, 3264x1952 - viewed 275 times.)

* OB5.jpg (1596.28 KB, 3264x1952 - viewed 268 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 01:36:48 AM »

I know in a couple recent threads on the Bally EM Machines there was a page from the manual showing the adjustments. If the brown lever didn't return it still sounds to me that you have a lubracation problem with the back shaft and the pivot points of the levers and linkages attached to them. Take some time and closely inspect everything under the reels. If any of it has dried grease or oil on it, then clean and oil. Take your fingers and see if thing move side to side on all the shafts. It's a lot of work, but once done your good to go.
Gary

Jackpot
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 124

I buy-Sell-Restore & have parts for older slots

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 02:05:55 AM »

I just picked this up and predates anything I have worked on.
The machine will accept the coin, lets you pull the handle but handle does not release and reels fail to spin
Where do I start ??
Thanks for your suggestions in advance !!

Are you still have this same problem as this stated above? You pull the handel down and the handle stays down and the reels don't kick off? See the photo, maybe adjusting the trip stop will make you mechanism trip sooner and allow the handle to return. It kind of sounds like your not getting enough stroke out of the handle pull to kick off the reels and have the handle reset so it can return, does this sound like something you are seeing it doing?
Jackpot Scratch Head Scratch Head

* Bally EM trip lever.jpg (148.08 KB, 739x1024 - viewed 275 times.)

azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

Jackpot,
That is it exactly
I will look to make an adjustment and get back to all
azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »

Ok everyones help has been great !!

I now have the reels back in the machine and when I pull the handle the reels spin properly. Before, I dropped in the quarter and I was able to pull the handle now I drop in the quarter but handle wont budge and I must manually pull lever inside to be able to pull handle and then it stays in the down postion
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »

the early ballys have a micro switch at the coin switch activated by the scavenger coil - that maybe the reason your handle coil is not being activated.
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »

If it accepts a coin, then open the door and pull on your pump arm.  You may have your dashpot switch opening up, since you did change the handle throw....  If that's the case, and pulling on pump arm releases the handle, then re-adjust your dashpot switch.
At least that's how I remember it....
azslotparts
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 12:10:06 AM »

Thanks to all it is looking and working great !!
I appreaciate everyones help that shared thier experience on these !!!!

* Bally Complete.jpg (1479.63 KB, 1952x3264 - viewed 257 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.