Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Question regarding error 21
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question regarding error 21  (Read 17348 times)
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 34

« on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »

Hello all,

I may have bitten off more than I can chew here but anyway here we go.  Saturday I bought a kit for a S-Plus machine, son is going to UT and thought he would like a nice surprise when he got home for thanks giving.  Instead of using one of my old S-Plus machines to put it in I decided I would look for another old S=Plus to install it in.  Found a old Barcrest Hit the Top machine that was pretty clean but had problems with the upper game and nobody could fix it.  Was told the bottom of the game worked well.  Bought it.  Top was in pieces so i took that out of the machine and powered it up.  Get a 21 error, have opened and closed the door multiple times it won't clear.  All I'm looking for is a machine to put my game in, its a hook em horns game which I'm told is based on a 5x game.  I have the new game eprom for that but don't want to start installing anything until I figure out what this 21 error is doing.  Also gonna have to install a light in the top box after removing all the Barcrest stuff that was up there.

FYI - Glass and real strips are in great shape if anyone is interested.

Need help to get this thing up and running.

Mike
proten
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:52:35 PM »

On a S+ machine a code 21 is coin optic error.
Check the optics below the coin acceptor and
try turning the reset key on the right side of the machine.

One step at a time.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »

^^^Coin-In optics error^^^ he means the little board under the coin comparitor...might be something blocking the eyes or a loose harness connection too!
Check the coin hopper optics too - sometimes ( ur not going 2 believe this...lol) a strand of human hair is stuck in there!  rotflmao
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »

I will learn to be more complete in my description.  It appears that this machine no longer has a coin comparator in it, in fact the only way to get credits in is thru the BV.  I'm gonna try to make this a money in credits only machine.  The coin head is missing, the coin comparator and rest of the coin mech is missing.  There is currently a .25 hopper in the machine but my plans are to not use it.  Maybe this 21 error is nothing more than a mis configuration due to the canibalization of the machine that has taken place.  As I've told you guys times before, I'm pretty new at this stuff and does not take a whole lot to get me off track.  So I really do appreciate the patience you folks have shown as well as the very good information you have provided.  Sorry I'm such a noob at this stuff but hopefully with each hurdle I'm learning a little.

Mike
Oscar Pompa
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 16

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »

to clear it  Open/close  the door

its your optic board connect it??

try to clean the optics it doesnt matter if you dont use the coin acceptor, just to pass the error

Scratch Head

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »

Mike On a S+ you can open and close the door until your blue in the face and not clear a error, that's a trick to clearing a S 2000.

Just for grins how about installing a coin optic from one of your other machines and see if the 21 goes away. Me I've never seen a S+ without coin handling so I don't know how to fool the machine that's it's there. ( I know how on a S 2000 )

Mike  What are the numbers on your SP and SS chips for the new game ?? ( one of us may have a backup chip for you )

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 02:26:38 AM »

The new game is supposed to run on a 5X machine, think the chip I have is a SS6273.  I'll have to see if I can get the coin optic from one of the other machines Smiley  Learning is always and adventure.

Thanks for the advice,
Mike
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:32:52 AM »

There's no comparitor bypass plug for an S+? Where's  knagl when you need him?
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:42:12 AM »

MikeCamp  I looked in the Bible and it is 5 X Pay. SS6273 is 92.40 % and a SS6271 is 97.42 %  both of them are available.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »

There's no comparitor bypass plug for an S+? Where's  knagl when you need him?

Of course there's an S+ CC Bypass Plug!
I posted this up years ago guys!
It plugs right into the door harness...>>>

* S+ CC Bypass Plug 005.jpg (544.51 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 271 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »

Basically, pins #2, 4, 6, and 10 are tied up.
I twisted them together and threw some solder so they don't come apart.
Your S+ can become coin-less and yet still use the bill acceptor if you want.

Here's a blown up picture showing the exact pin-out locations on the Molex plug I made.
Click on photo to enlarge if needed...>>>

* S+ CC Bypass Plug blown up.jpg (118.78 KB, 792x798 - viewed 319 times.)
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »

Very helpful, since i don't have one of those plugs I'll see what I can do directly on the harness.  Very much appreciate the info great knowledge. K+

Mike
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »

Ok then, on the door harness side, the four wires you need to tie up are:

#2   (Orange w/Black Stripe)
#4   (Orange w/Red Stripe)
#6   (Orange w/Yellow Stripe)
#10 (Doubled Solid Green wires)
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »

Ok, so I "engineered" a couple of pieces of wire to put into the Coin in cable to try and emulate what stayouttadabunker said above.  Still got a 21 but after I closed the door it thought for a min then changed to 64.  I still have the original chips in the machine.  SP979 and SS8834.  I have cleared the top of the cabinet that of all Barcrest crap, only thing left is that crazy looking cable that connects to the bottom.  No hopper, no coin mech, just bill validator, 3 reels, and boards.

In searching on here it appears that 64 error may be somehow tied to player tracking in a barcrest and some cable that has been removed.  I just want a simple splus machine to put this Texas Longhorn game in, trying to do it cheaply but I guess with cheap comes lots of headaches.

Any ideas?

Mike
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »

Am I just screwed because of all the extra junk the barcrest machine had in it?  I'm sure I can rip out more but don't want to rip to the point that I have removed to much stuff.  I have a couple of pictures of the guts of the thing if anyone thinks posting those would help.

Mike
dale
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 60

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »

There really is very little Barcrest 'crap' that has to be removed to make it an S+. After you slide out the Top Box you have a wire harness on the left side that is just the 6th button for the Bonus round that goes straight from that harness to the button. On the right side the Top Box harness goes to the com board, a ground wire, the lower power supply and the speakers in the coin tray. From the Comm board you have a harness that plugs into J9 and J12 on the mother board. The Barcrest addition is really very simple. All you have to do is add a light up on top, remove the slide tray and you have an S+.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »

If you still have the barcrest chips installed it'll probably still look for the top box equipment
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »

That's good to hear, sounds like I can remove a couple more unwanted wires and I'm set.  I'm told my new kit is based on a five times quarter machine of which I have anew SS reel chip to install.  Will I need to replace the game chip as well if so what chip will I need for that?

Thanks
Mike
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 02:23:35 AM »

Well removed some more wiring, pulled the reel chip out and installed my reel chip in its place now I'm getting a error 68.  Sounds like I may have answered my own question, will have to replace the reel chip and game chip Sad  Still getting errors but at least they are different ones Smiley  Not sure what non-compatable data prom means but another opportunity to learn.

Thanks again for all who have helped, you are some good people.  Don't forget to cast your vote tomorrow and thing right Tongue

Mike
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 05:31:56 AM »

The new game is supposed to run on a 5X machine, think the chip I have is a SS6273.

I wouldn't worry about the errors until you get the proper SP and SS chip in there.  Your SS6273 is, as Buzz said, a 5 Times Pay chip -- now you just need any old SP chip that will run a Type 0 game (most of them will), and not the Barcrest SP979 chip that you have in there.

This might be one of the occasions where it wouldn't hurt to run a clear chip first, but it shouldn't be necessary.  Get a proper SP chip to go with your SS chip, and you should be good to go.

Where's  knagl when you need him?

I'm blocked from NLG at my new job ("Blocked: Games") so I'm still around, but not on here 24/7 as much.   no

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »

I just wanted to say that the error code [64] is a Barcrest specific code emanating from your SP979 chip.
Basically, it's looking for the topbox computer which you've removed.
I would suggest an SP731 or the more common SP1271 for your S+ in order to play regular SS reel chip games.
Placing an ad in the Classifieds section of NLG will nail you a chip - be sure to pick up a SET chip as well so you can enable the bill acceptor.

May I ask, is your MPU a 10MHz or a 16MHz board?
It easy to tell the difference...the 10's have the blue volume potentiometer dial on top of the circuit board.
If not, you will need to pick one up from the vendors that browse the Classifieds as well.
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »

Thanks for the info guys, I'm handing out Karma like a mad man because you are all so helpful.  Stayoutta... The board I have does not have a volume control on it  Silly Me!  I will add a picture.  This is killing me, I like things to get done and ordering parts over the internet takes days, I found another local guy, the one I bought the kit from, I'll see if he has the other chip that I can get quickly.

Thanks again folks,
Mike

* DSCN0027.JPG (717.82 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 268 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »

Yup...u have a 16MHz MPU board there...give me a minute.
I will do a test on my test machine to see if an SP1271 will work on a 16meg board ( I don't think so)
I'll report back in a few.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »

Nope, it won't work on a 16MHz MPU Mike,
I tried both an SP731 and an SP1271 - I get uncooperative reels.
The game will NOT go into their "maiden spins", rather I get discombobulated reel errors.
Your going to have to pick up a 10MHz MPU board to run your 5XPay game.

Remember, you going from an enhanced S+ with a Barcrest setup that has the latest game TYPES ( Before they made the S2000)
to an older, fairly common TYPE 0 game - there will be a few changes you need to do.

Here's a short video clip I made for you...>>>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C7X3N4n8p0s&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/C7X3N4n8p0s&rel=0</a>

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:19:44 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »

Man that is bad news for me but also at least now I'm not banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why nothing will work.  Ok, so I'll find me a 10MHz board and the other chip I need.  Is there anything in the case that would keep that from working?  The reels themselves look almost new and the inside of the case is very clean.  Sounds like my cheap machine is gonna end up costing me some cash.  I found a sizzling 777s 5x, 10x Haywire round top S2000 with a stand for 450 today, hope this old machine does not end up costing me that much Sad

Thanks again for your wisdom because I don't have that much hair left to give.

Mike
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.