The JCM WBA product line

(1/1)

JCM Tech:
There seem to be a lot of questions about the WBA line of validators, so let me help clear this up a bit.

The WBA was produced in 4 models using 2 different heads. Due to gaming regulations, the validator was produced in both EPROM and flash memory configurations.
Odd numbers are EPROM, 11/ 13/ 21/ 23, and even numbers are flash 10/ 12/ 20/ 22.

The first models were One Meg and handled all notes $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100, in all four directions. When the Feds decided to change the design of the notes, (large portrait) there was not going to be enough room in the memory if this was going to continue in the future (and it was, Next Gen colored notes) so they redesigned the CPU for a Four meg program.

So there are 4 different CPUs, 1 Meg flash, 1 Meg EPROM, 4 Meg flash and 4 Meg EPROM

Flash                    EPROM         Connectors to harness       Validator to frame

One Meg program          10/20                   11/21            2 pin, 4 pin, 5 pin             12 contacts

Four Meg program          12/22                   13/23            20 pin                             20 contacts

The software determines which head you need.

The difference between a 10/ 11/ 12 &13 and a 20/ 21/ 22/ 23 is the head. And contrary to popular rumor, there are only two types of heads. If the first number of the model is a '1' (10/11/12/13) then the head should have 3 mag sensors and if the first number is a '2' (20/21/22/23) it will have only one mag sensor, but 2 extra optical sensors. The '1' model (3 mag sensors) is used in the US, Japan and Australia. These country's use Magnetic counterfeit protections and JCM used 3 mag heads to take advantage of the extra security feature. Most other countries use intricate designs and several colors if ink as a counterfeit deterrent so JCM chose extra optical sensors. Although the head may have a label that says WBA 10 or WBA 12, that only tells you what the head was attached to when it was produced. All heads that have 3 Mag sensors will work in a WBA 10/ 11/ 12 or 13. If it only has One Mag sensor, then it can be used in a 20/ 21/ 22 or 23.

If you have a WBA 10, 11, 20 or 21 and want to upgrade to a 12, 13, 22 or 23 you only need to replace the CPU, the internal harness to the frame and the frame to MPU harness. JCM actually sold a kit to do this upgrade.
The advantage to a 12 or 13 is that JCM quit updating software for the 10 and 11 in 2006 so the 12/ 13 has all the next Gen notes.

The next big difference is the motors used in the transport. The original 1 Meg units had a motor with a green strip on the label. Later a more robust motor with a little more torque was used and that one has a red stripe on the label. Both will work fine, but if your unit has the green label motor, it was made prior to 2004
and the motor may be a bit week.

I hope this clears things up a little. And if you have any questions about JCM products, I was their trainer for 12 years, so if I don't know the answer, I still have a lot of contacts at JCM and can certainly find an answer for you.

stormrider:
Thanks for the informative post.

Tim                        :259-

kondy73:
There are also models WBA-24 with flash and WBA-25 with 4 mega EPROM. What is difference 24 versus 22, 25 versus 23?

JCM Tech:
The WBA 24 and 25 have a wider bill path. This is to accommodate a wider than normal note

kondy73:
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index