Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:04:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Florescents ballast issue... Solved
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Florescents ballast issue... Solved  (Read 3567 times)
angryninjas
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 147

« on: August 11, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »

Hey guys, I recently bought an Empire King machine, and the top cabinet lights worked fine.  Yesterday, I turned it on, and neither florescent tube in the top cabinet lit up.  This model has two of them, mounted vertically.  So I took the glass off, and both ends of each tube glow, but the tubes don't fire up... Strange that they are both doing it.  Another funny thing is if I slightly twist either of the bulbs in their socket, the one I twist will fire up... But if I turn the machine off, wait a few seconds, then turn it in again... Same thing.  It requires another twist to fire up again.  Both bulbs behave the same way.  Any idea what would cause this?  Is it a power supply issue or something?

I was just trying to think of anything that may have changed and just remembered that it started happening when I plugged it into a surge protector with one other machine, instead of directly into the wall.  Would the use of a power strip reduce the voltage any and cause the florescent tube to not fire but run the rest of the machine like normal?  I'm not home right now or I would simply unplug the power strip and plug it in directly to see what happens. 

Here is a pic of the inside of the top cabinet.  Notice both ends of both tubes glowing
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:59:24 PM by angryninjas » Logged
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:31:27 AM »

Just replace the ballast, they are not that expensive for these lamps.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
angryninjas
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:43:35 AM »

Yeah but if it was the ballast, they wouldn't both go out at the same time, right?  Or maybe they are both connected to the same ballast... I'll have to take a look when I get home.  I'll let you know what I find.
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 03:47:56 AM »

Then start throwing parts at it, I'd be starting with a power supply. Doesn't make much sense maybe, as I start with the problem, and work back up the line, but others don't. Both methods work, one just takes longer....some times you get lucky and it's on the problem end, other times its at the root.

blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:59:07 AM »

Since this is on a S+ platform try looking for the Starter or Starters, probably near the Ballast if not around the housing somewhere, twist and remove the Starter when powered up with ends lit and see if the tubes light, if so there is your problem

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »

Since this is on a S+ platform try looking for the Starter or Starters

Agree with Post

Since it's both bulbs, the starter was my first guess.  It's a little thing the size of a C-cell battery that twists into place.  They're super high voltage when they're doing their starting duties, so I'd avoid tinkering with them too much.  If you have another S+ in the house, try swapping the starters (with the power off, of course) to see if the problem follows the starter.  If it does, there's your answer.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »

For some reason I thought the S+ had self-starting ballasts  Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh!.  I just looked at mine and the starter is right there under the ballast, but his being a bonus top machine, the story might be different.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
angryninjas
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »

Since this is on a S+ platform try looking for the Starter or Starters

Agree with Post

Since it's both bulbs, the starter was my first guess.  It's a little thing the size of a C-cell battery that twists into place.  They're super high voltage when they're doing their starting duties, so I'd avoid tinkering with them too much.  If you have another S+ in the house, try swapping the starters (with the power off, of course) to see if the problem follows the starter.  If it does, there's your answer.

That solved it, thanks so much guys!  Replaced the starter, both tubes fired right up  Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.