Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:21:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Looking for a Bally Computer Poker Manual.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for a Bally Computer Poker Manual.  (Read 6302 times)
RJ
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: April 06, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »

I just picked up a non working

Bally Model number 0028. It is missing a couple of 16 pin chips on the 3rd board, someone installed IC sockets were the 2 chips were soldered.

I am looking for a Service manual or someone that has one of these, that could read off the chip numbers on the board. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with it.

Thanks In Advance

RJ
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »

I can tell you with confidence, there are no manuals in existence for that sucker. Not even the original designer can help. I know, I've got one.

Did you just buy that at the VCA Auction?

RJ

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »

Sigh I was afraid of that.  How were they repaired then?

No I picked up from one of the Vendors at the Pheasant Run Show this last weekend. Have to learn to say no, I was packing up the truck after selling in the parking lot, when I was approached with the "deal of the day"

I guess the technology fascinated me.

Dose anyone have any board sets for this game?  I will post the IC positions later on today.

Thanks again
Op-Bell

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »

If this is the one from the VCA auction, and I think it is, then (from my brief inspection of the innards before the sale) a couple of missing chips will be the very least of your problems. It had been made deliberately non-functional so it wouldn't be classified as a gaming machine.

Lot 987, winning bid $165 including buyer's premium.

As far as I know, I'm the only one here with any knowledge of this machine, but my knowledge is quite extensive. There are no spare parts on the market but we can fix the ones you have.

* 987-18525.large.jpg (38.89 KB, 294x546 - viewed 345 times.)
Op-Bell

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:28:06 AM »

Here's something to get you started. It's the schematic for card 2, which holds the registers for displaying the hand and some of the decoding logic. I traced out this card because there was a fault in my machine and I traced it to this particular card. I haven't traced out the others because it's very laborious and time consuming. One day I'll get round to it.

* card2.PDF (87.09 KB - downloaded 219 times.)
RJ

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »

Thanks for the board 2 schematic.

The board that is missing the chips is board 3. IC numbers 53 and 54 have sockes soldered in and the chips are missing. I have alot of 7400 log laying around

The machines were bought in Chicago after the Pheasant Run show last weekend from a vender out of California off the trailor on Friday. There was a business card taped to the side from a Vendor with a 415 area code.

The inside of the machine is clean. The First 2 fuses on the Left side are missing along with the 2 IC's, are the only thing I see missing so far.

I also picked up a GAMES Of Nevada Draw Poker with a 13" Monitor with a Single Board. I have not had a chance to fire this one up. Put them nstorage and went back to work.

Thanks again for your Help.
Op-Bell

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:15:11 PM »

Board 3 is very complex - I traced out enough of the schematic to help me understand board 2, but never completed it. I'll look at that board tonight and tell you what the chips are. If I recall correctly, there are a few socketed chips in my game and they are all either 7403 or 7407 open collector gates driving off the board into the cabinet, and therefore vulnerable to damage. Presumably the sockets were put in after the chips had been replaced a few times.
RJ

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »

The sockets were installed after the fact. I can tell by the left over solder flux on the board. I am going to put the board under the scope and clean up the sockets.  I will be out of town until next thursday.

Please take a look at he fuse values for the 2 left fuse sockets on the back piece of metal.

Was this the same machine from the auction?

Thank You Again

RJ

My understanding is that it uses light to iluminate a film strip. I was ready the KLOV describtion. What type of bulbs are they?

RJ
Op-Bell

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 09:58:58 PM »

I can't tell if your machine is the one from the auction because I haven't seen a picture of it, but you can tell me if it looks like the illustration a few messages above. The auction machine was very early in the manufacturing run and lacks a few features that mine has, like NV memory for the last hand and to resume partial payouts. There should be a serial number engraved inside the front door. Mine is #239.

The projection displays have clusters of bulbs at the back that shine through color transparencies and a molded lens system to back-project on frosted screens at the front. There are two kinds, one for cards and one for suits, and they use different kinds of bulbs, bayonets and midget flange. When you replace the bulbs, don't buy the cheapest, as the quality is quite critical. The filament must be centered in the bulb, or the image will be uneven and offset to one side, and there must be no molding marks in the front of the glass, as these show up as shadows on the image. Bulbs are six volt (6.3V) but they are under run at 5V so they last essentially for ever. Sometimes there's a little corrosion on the socket that makes them go out.

I wrote the description on KLOV, and that's my machine in their photo. Note that my front glass is different, it doesn't have card backs screened on the glass like the auction machine.
Op-Bell

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:27:07 PM »

So that other people know what we're talking about, here's a picture of the back of the front door showing the projection displays. The top row show the card values - 13 positions used out of 24 on those projectors. They use miniature flange bulbs. The bottom row show the card suits - 4 positions used out of 12. This size of display is much more common, it's the size used in Keeney and similar machines. It uses standard SBC (bayonet contact) bulbs.

Also below is one of the slides from a bottom-row-size display - this one comes out of a Keeney, so it has fruits.

* BCP displays.jpg (55.15 KB, 667x280 - viewed 335 times.)

* redarrowslide.jpg (19.94 KB, 363x423 - viewed 325 times.)
RJ

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »

Ahhh back from Holiday.
Thank You,
 Nice describtion of the game both here and on KLOV. I have the IC sockets cleaned. When you get a chance please take a look and let me know what the 2 IC's are that go in positions 53 and 54 board number 3. and the 2 fuses to the left. I will attempt to put up some pictures of the Slot I have to see if it matches the one from the auction. There were no cut wires in the machine just missing 2 fuses and 2 socketed IC's.

Thanks Again for all of your Help

RJ
Op-Bell

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »

Board 3, IC53 and IC54 are both 7400. Left fuse is 4A, middle fuse is 10A.
bogart
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »

I have a 0028 that works fine, but has a broken "Draw" button. Anyone have a spare?  Also would like to know
bulb size as well as that of the "Attendant Call Lamp" on top of the machine.  Thanks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.