Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+  To keep the forum going - EVERYONE READ THIS PLEASE
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To keep the forum going - EVERYONE READ THIS PLEASE  (Read 18404 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »

As long as everyone purges their messages, then it should be fine as is.

Thanks,
Wayne

Agreed. PM's are in integral part of every forum... and we have a good reason for not including the PM message in the email notifications.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Joeylc
Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 287

KG7NLG

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

If you get PM's  that are spam from a users trying to sell crap please report it...  ASAP..
Thanks Joeylc
  Odie

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net
erbs
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 66

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »

Guilty as well. Never thought of the outbox, Duh! frying pan had 11  pages to delete.
Forrhouse
Manufacturing Equipment & Parts to Keep Slots that are No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer running.
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 252

Life is too short, live, love and have a good time

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »

Cleaned out my outbox and inbox last night.
Didn't know that this issue could hurt the sight.
I'll be cleaning out my boxes regularly.

Eric
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »

Just as a heads up to all, you can set your mailbox to not save copies of sent mail and avoid this issue in the future. I will selectively save the occasional sent mail if I think I'll need it to spark my memory later, but in general I don't see the need to save copies
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »

Just a thought it might be useful to have the admin (joey) blast a message to everyone, evey quarter or so to clean up their mailboxes.
Jeff

I have a better idea, why don't we just get rid of the PM section. We could just use that ol fashion thing called a "Email"  problem solved.

While I hate to agree with Buzz, I've been thinking about the "No PM" idea...it WOULD eliminate some BS on the site, as well as save Joey some space, as that's the goal. How many times have we had to ask someone for an email address only because they have not filled out their profile?????  Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head

I say do away with PMs entirely, and this would not only save some room for more important BS, but would eliminate that problem altogether AND encourage people to complete their profiles!  yes yes

I vote "Yah"...anyone with me?

PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 01:02:20 AM »

No . Not every thing needs to be read by others .  Having a open email just invites garbage . I Have a open email for junk and people i I don't need in my life and a business one that is just that . I say just keep your PM cleaned out . As I just dumped  33 combined pages ( crap I might have crashed the site my self )  P.B.

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
rokgpsman

Total Karma Storms: 6

Just a curious observer...

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:42 AM »

Will some of the previous months Classified ads still be kept around when a new month rolls over? Hate to have ads that are less than 1 week old go away at the first of the next month. How about keeping the most recent 2 weeks worth of ads, dumping any older than 14 days?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:47:19 AM by rokgpsman » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »

PMs allow members to contact others without revealing their email addresses. Every forum I've ever joined has them. This issue will probably be going away in the future, anyway. For now, please bear with us.

Thanks.

Stat garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Forrhouse
Manufacturing Equipment & Parts to Keep Slots that are No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer running.

Total Karma Storms: 252

Life is too short, live, love and have a good time

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 03:05:08 AM »

Is it possible to implement a button that would allow you to delete your own classified post ?
That way if you sell your items you could delete the post saving space.

IMHO, implementing such a button along with administrators eliminating adds 1 month or older would be a great asset for the sight.

Eric
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 04:24:02 AM »

The second issue we have is with users who haven't logged on in years, etc. Oddly, it has nothing to do with posts. It's the way the software keeps track of the lists of UNREAD posts for each and every member. That is why Joey is deleting old accounts.

I wish I would have known this. There's a script to remedy that issue (without having to delete accounts) -- I use it on my own site...

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 04:55:12 AM »

Please enable or add back the top 25 topics on the main page, it was below the last 25 posts

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Fourbyracer
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 234

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »

Just a thought it might be useful to have the admin (joey) blast a message to everyone, evey quarter or so to clean up their mailboxes.
Jeff

I have a better idea, why don't we just get rid of the PM section. We could just use that ol fashion thing called a "Email"  problem solved.

While I hate to agree with Buzz, I've been thinking about the "No PM" idea...it WOULD eliminate some BS on the site, as well as save Joey some space, as that's the goal. How many times have we had to ask someone for an email address only because they have not filled out their profile?????  Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head

I say do away with PMs entirely, and this would not only save some room for more important BS, but would eliminate that problem altogether AND encourage people to complete their profiles!  yes yes

I vote "Yah"...anyone with me?

I would have to say most of my "business" gets done via PM's and getting rid of them would put a whole bunch of useless crap on the site (needless posts).  Also, PM's to me seem a whole lot safer or better than emails from random people on the internet--at least you know where they have come from in general and do a small background search on NLG regarding who you are dealing with.  For people who get lots of emails from many different sources, I think having all NLG users sending emails would be much harder to sort out.  My 2 cents says PM's are the way to go and either activate an auto "cleaner" to kill PM's older than say 2 months, or remind people to delete them periodically.   Cool Thumbs-Up

What we do in life, echoes in eternity...
StatFreak

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »

The second issue we have is with users who haven't logged on in years, etc. Oddly, it has nothing to do with posts. It's the way the software keeps track of the lists of UNREAD posts for each and every member. That is why Joey is deleting old accounts.

I wish I would have known this. There's a script to remedy that issue (without having to delete accounts) -- I use it on my own site...

I'll send you a PM.

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »

Joey used a rule of thumb, if you hadn't posted in the last year you were gone, that included some Gold members. By my count it was about 2064. ( Check out Ashyron, Joey buried him )

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »

(Cough cough! Dusty around here!)  rotflmao

I "pruned" out about 500 PM messages....only kept the last two weeks...  propeller

Wuz NOT about to go and figure out which ones to keep!!! Too many!

Here's the thing....about 300 of them were PM's asking me how to fix this or that...haha
ALmost all my responses were "Start a new thread then!"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:32:03 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman

Total Karma Storms: 139

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »

Cleared inbox and outbox also..... Mail
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.