Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  **Video Gaming Machines** **General Chat**
| | |-+  Anyone heard of a STATUS brand Video Poker slot? CAN'T get it to do much!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone heard of a STATUS brand Video Poker slot? CAN'T get it to do much!  (Read 56552 times)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:40 AM »

"4 of a kind:" that's what my wife says about my friends and I when we adjourn to
the basement gameroom with chips, booze, and cigars. Beats anything on TV!

If you decide to re-diddle (that's a technical term  Nerd )  with the switch,
I suggest you start by lubing (WD40) the rocker-arm mechanism including the tip roller.
Hangup or hesitation in that very heavy mechanical train will exacerbate any switch misadjustment.

But far more important, it is absolutely critical that you reframmify the geschunztenhauer;
otherwise the entire schnauzenzable will...... (uh-oh, it's almost 1am and my wineglass is empty; be right back.....)

Shoot! I better pour a glass so I can understand your "Wineglish" speak!  Drinking Wine
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:01 AM »

I am absolutely positively convinced it's not the switch. I did check the rocker arm, lube the roller etc (actually did that earlier before I posted). What I also did was check that switch when the error was happening and it still was making and breaking contact as it should, without the meter reading the coin count out. BUT, when I powered off and on the machine, and manually flip the micro-switch, it then counts out.
So... I'm lost. It again worked for about twenty minutes, then didn't work, then did again! I can't seem to re-create any circumstances where it consistently fails.  Scratch Head
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2014, 08:33:37 AM »

Ok, so now we're going to have to look at the board. Most likely the problem is associated with a resistor that has broken internally and goes open circuit when it warms up. You're going to have to probe around and find which one it is.

One side of the microswitch is almost certainly ground. Trace the other wire back to the circuit board and find out where it comes in - most likely on the 25 pin connector, as I think the thick wires at bottom left of your pic on page 3 are power supplies. Use your meter, find the pin. Then trace the track on the board from the pin, to whatever it goes to. Somewhere along the way it will either go through a resistor to a chip, or to a resistor to 5V, or both. Change every resistor on that line. The ones on the board are all cheap and nasty carbon composition resistors that have a solid rod of carbon inside a little tube with the connecting wires buried in the ends. The rod inside may crack, or the wire come loose inside. Either will give you this kind of intermittent problem when the resistor warms up a few degrees.

I may be wrong, but even if I am, this is the very next thing I would check. If it doesn't cure the problem, the next step will be to replace the chip it goes to. I guess it's in that row of 1k resistors at the top, R14-R22, and the associated chip is the 8255, U11. Before you start chopping out resistors, inspect the board very carefully for bad joints, corrosion or shorts in that area, which can cause the same problem. These old boards that have bare tracks without a solder mask are prone to almost invisible shorts when they get old. It could also be in the connector. While you have the backshell off (to trace the wire) inspect the connections carefully.

shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:18 PM »

Hey Everyone...
I moved this entire thread to the NEW forum under the added category "Status Video Poker."

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=663.0
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.