Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  **Video Gaming Machines** **General Chat**
| | |-+  EARLY VIDEO POKER/WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY? HELP PLEASE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EARLY VIDEO POKER/WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY? HELP PLEASE  (Read 5417 times)
RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« on: November 03, 2013, 03:48:00 AM »

Hello Group:

I have been a member of NLG for several years now.  I have frequented the Bally Electro Mechanical forum since I live in New York,  a 30 year state.  I got the bright idea to add a Video Poker machine to me collection of EM slot machines.  I know nothing about them.  I was wondering is there are any Video Poker machines out there made in 1983 or older?  If so are there any better makes or models to look for and are there are any brands or trouble spots to stay away from?  I would be looking for one that accepts coins and pays out similar to a slot machine.  Do these even exist?  How much should I pay?  Please educate me.  I am ready to learn and buy.

Thank you so much for your wisdom.

Ra
RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »

25 Views and not one suggestion.  Wow. Pardon me if I did or said something wrong.  I just wanted to seek the advice of those who know more than I do.

Ra
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »

Maybe out a IGT PE, as I don't think a PE+ will comply with your state laws. I would t recommend any other makes though, stick with IGT.

RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

Thank you so much for the reply.  IGT it is.  I have not been able to determine when Fortune 1 stopped and Fortune 2 took over but I will learn.  I was told to look for a 9/6 games as well.  The hunt begins!  Perhaps a nice holiday gift for myself if I can find a clean old game out there.   Thanks again.

Ra
CVslots

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

Yah, I don't know when F1 or F2 games stopped, I'm sure Darrell does. I can ask him. I didn't think you had to go back past PE, but maybe you will. None the less, they are still fun little machines! The 9/6 is just a payout, and they were more popular I believe, but that wouldn't be a strict criteria for me personally. Just make sure the game pays out correctly (on bigger wins) before you buy it, as finding glass and/or software may be a pain.

RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »

Thanks great tip.  Is there a way to set up a big pay as on an EM slot machine?
CVslots

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »

I don't know for certain (but I highly doubt it), as I don't know how too much of how that's done on an EM. We just fix games and play them as they were meant to play. To me, if you can set up a win by circumventing the normal operation of the machine (something stuck in the stops, setting up the reels, etc) then the fun is gone, as you take the "chance" or "luck" out of it. Anyway, I digress...

Talked to Darrell and he said you are looking at a F1. I didn't realize PE didn't appear for another 5-6 years...

Happy Hunting!

shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »

Get an IGT Fortune One. I love mine!
It's old but works and pays off fine. I've had it for a few years now and still never had a Royal Flush...but I keep trying...makes it more fun.

* IMG_1690.jpg (876.11 KB, 1587x2680 - viewed 420 times.)
rokgpsman

Total Karma Storms: 6

Just a curious observer...

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »

Hello Group:

I have been a member of NLG for several years now.  I have frequented the Bally Electro Mechanical forum since I live in New York,  a 30 year state.  I got the bright idea to add a Video Poker machine to me collection of EM slot machines.  I know nothing about them.  I was wondering is there are any Video Poker machines out there made in 1983 or older?  If so are there any better makes or models to look for and are there are any brands or trouble spots to stay away from?  I would be looking for one that accepts coins and pays out similar to a slot machine.  Do these even exist?  How much should I pay?  Please educate me.  I am ready to learn and buy.

Thank you so much for your wisdom.

Ra

I'm wondering if there really is much risk in buying & owning any video poker machine you want and worrying about the state knocking on your door. It's not like you would be running a commercial business or actually gambling with it which would be prohibited even with a machine 100 years old. Is someone going to inform on you and then the state will investigate a private ownership? If it's just a personal preference to be in compliance with a silly law then I guess that's a personal decision and understandable.

My guess is there are lots of private slot machine ownership in areas that technically it is not allowed. I've even seen the argument that converting the machine to not handle money removes the gambling aspect of the machine, making it into a game machine. Some of the machines for sale from dealers have a special board that generates pulses when you press a button to put credits onto it. No money goes into or out of the game, so no gambling.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:31:32 PM by rokgpsman » Logged
RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »

Shortrackskater wow you have the exact machine that I am looking for.  I even wondered if it came in a 5 cent version since most of the ones that I have seen were 25 cent.  I prefer the nickel denomination.  Coin in and coin out is what I like.   Puulleeese  keep and eye out for me for a similar machine in good working order.  As I have no background in these F1 beauties I was wondering what a good price would be for a such a unit?

rokgpsman  you are correct in all of your observations about the need to get a state law compliant machine.   I just would like to stay on the right side of right whenever possible. 

Thank you both.  Keep poor old me in mind if you see a good game up for sale.

Ra
rokgpsman

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »

Ra,

Did you see this older but interesting message:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=1504.0

Hopefully, with several gaming areas all over the country, many of them survived.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:21:49 PM by rokgpsman » Logged
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »

Shortrackskater wow you have the exact machine that I am looking for.  I even wondered if it came in a 5 cent version since most of the ones that I have seen were 25 cent.  I prefer the nickel denomination.  Coin in and coin out is what I like.   Puulleeese  keep and eye out for me for a similar machine in good working order.  As I have no background in these F1 beauties I was wondering what a good price would be for a such a unit?

rokgpsman  you are correct in all of your observations about the need to get a state law compliant machine.   I just would like to stay on the right side of right whenever possible.  

Thank you both.  Keep poor old me in mind if you see a good game up for sale.

Ra

I'm a little far from you. If I find one in California, the shipping would be horrendous to NY!  money money
I'll peek at CL on the east coast when I can. As for pricing...I really would not pay too much for one now. I got mine for $40 and had it working in a half hour. It just needed some minor adjustments. If I was looking, I would MAYBE pay $100, maybe more if it was in great condition and had been gone through at some point. I think I'm spoiled here...I've got some incredible deals on the slots I bought.
rokgpsman

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »

Shortrackskater wow you have the exact machine that I am looking for.  I even wondered if it came in a 5 cent version since most of the ones that I have seen were 25 cent.  I prefer the nickel denomination.  Coin in and coin out is what I like.   Puulleeese  keep and eye out for me for a similar machine in good working order.  As I have no background in these F1 beauties I was wondering what a good price would be for a such a unit?

rokgpsman  you are correct in all of your observations about the need to get a state law compliant machine.   I just would like to stay on the right side of right whenever possible. 

Thank you both.  Keep poor old me in mind if you see a good game up for sale.

Ra

I'm a little far from you. If I find one in California, the shipping would be horrendous to NY!  money money
I'll peek at CL on the east coast when I can. As for pricing...I really would not pay too much for one now. I got mine for $40 and had it working in a half hour. It just needed some minor adjustments. If I was looking, I would MAYBE pay $100, maybe more if it was in great condition and had been gone through at some point. I think I'm spoiled here...I've got some incredible deals on the slots I bought.

I agree, it seems that machines are more plentiful and lower cost in western US, probably due to nearness to Nevada and the high turnover on machines they have there. Maybe you could act as a friendly buyer and then ship to east coast; even with shipping it might end up being a reasonable cost? Places like u-ship and similar offer competitive shipping rates, just would want to crate it well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.