Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Transformer, Bridge Rectifier and Voltage regulator question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transformer, Bridge Rectifier and Voltage regulator question  (Read 3682 times)
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« on: December 28, 2013, 11:30:15 PM »

I have this CEI hot slot that I got running about a year and a half ago.  Well it started to intermittently stop working and now won't run at all.   It started to have issues similiar to to when I got it so I investigated the 24v region of the mother board and swaped the bridge rectifier and the LM350.  The machine still has the same issue so I measured the voltage coming out of the BR at 37.7v  The LM350 is getting burning hot and putting out about 34 volts.   Specs for the LM350 say it is only good for input up to 35v.  Now a little more to the story.   The 4700 uF ripple cap was rated at 25 volts from the factory. When I got it running it had 30v coming out of the BR and puffed the new 25v cap I installed.  I replaced it with a 35v and everything seemed fine.  I thought maybe that caps used to be better and CEI cheaped out and put a 25v cap in a 30v circuit figuring it would last long enough.  Now that the voltage has climbed higher I am guessing that the secondary winding in the transformer is breaking down and causing the voltage to climb.  Is this correct thinking? 

Now what can I do about this?  Disconnect the 24v line from the transformer and hook a separate 24v transformer up directly?  Should I only use an AC transformer?  Can I use a DC one and still run through the bridge rectifier?  Replacing the transformer is probably not a good option since these machines are so scarce. 

Any other ideas?
CommTech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »

Lets look at this one step at a time... The Original problem is that the machine would intermittently stop working.  Can you elaborate on this? Does the machine loose all power or does something else happen?

You said that you swapped the bridge rectifier and the LM350.  Why did you do this?  What was the voltage output before you swapped them out?  38 Volts DC seems a bit high for a 24 volt circuit.  Are you sure it is suppose to be a 24 Volt circuit?

Is the Secondary winding center tapped?  What  AC voltages are you seeing across the secondary windings of the Transformer?

The LM350 may get hot under load, depending on the current draw from the circuit it is feeding.  The Output voltage of the LM350 is set by a resistor off one of the legs (regulator resistor may be open?).

Do you have a schematic for your machine?  

You say that the machine won't run at all now.  Does that mean No power at all?  Please elaborate.

As far as Electrolytic capacitors go ... The ratings are their break down voltage.  You should always use a voltage rating HIGHER than the DC voltage that is present in the circuit.

As for the Transformer ... Chances are, there is nothing wrong with the transformer.  Also, there is no such thing as a DC transformer.  

jbshocks

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:36 PM »

I do realize transformers are AC.  I should have said power supply.  For clarity the machine starts and runs but will not spin the reels.  The led display shows a code for reel controller failure.  The reel controller and the coin comparitor share the 24 volts.  I do not have a schematic for the machine and it is unlikely that I could find one.  I only have the operators manual.  The transformer has multiple taps but no documentation as to what they should be.  I did not do a  voltage check before changing the bridge and vr.  I did check them with a dvom on diode check and they failed.  They now pass.  I also checked the control resistor and it checks OK. 

The only reason I know 24 v is right is because the motors and coin mech.  Also when the machine worked fine I had 22 v after the regulator.  I never really got a full 24v. 
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:07:42 AM »

Not having a schematic makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

To answer your previous question about adding your own 24 volt supply ... Yes you can do that, but I am doubtful that simply decreasing the voltage to 24 volts will completely correct your problem.
That said, you would just need to purchase a 24 volt DC supply with sufficient current capabilities (I would suggest something like this 8.4 Amp one ($40 shipped) Ebay # 251374606864), and install the output AFTER the Regulator circuit.
Remove the regulator to isolate the old circuit.  That way you will have well regulated 24 Volts DC to the rest of you machine. 
8 amps is probably overkill, but unless you know for sure what kind of current that circuit requires, it is better to error on the high side.

Best of luck to you.  wave

jbshocks

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:39:24 AM »

With an lm350 being rated at 3 amps shouldn't I be good with a 3 amp power supply?
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »

With an lm350 being rated at 3 amps shouldn't I be good with a 3 amp power supply?

Yes.  That makes sense. A 3 amp should do the trick nicely!  yes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.