Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:19:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Game Emulators
| |-+  Homebrew and Custom Game Emulators (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  New PE+ Homebrew Forum
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New PE+ Homebrew Forum  (Read 10405 times)
Stolistic
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 188

Resistance is futile. You will be emulated.

« on: August 21, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting a new PE+ Homebrew Forum for people who want to learn how to program their own games for the PE+ platform.

It contains the start of an SDK and a "Hello World" example you can try on your own.  I will be filling out the sections over time and providing more tutorials on how to do advanced topics.
Nothing is officially launched yet, but you are welcome to dig around and provide feedback.  I am hoping we have enough people to get some good games built to share.

There is no magic bullet to coding this stuff.  So you will need some basic "C" programming knowledge in order to follow along, but I plan to break stuff down as best as possible.

You can access the forum here:
http://www.stolistic.com/forum/index.php
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

Awesome!!!  Hail Hail Hail

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Stolistic

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »

Hello World tutorial is pretty much complete now (Parts 1 through 5).  I also added my PE+ CG Editor to the downloads and two tutorials on how to use it.  It works good even if you just want to make custom card backs for your pre-existing games and know nothing about programming.  I also added a tutorial on button inputs, lamps and sounds.
TZtech

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »

This will be very interesting to follow. K+ for sharing Your knowledge. Could I suggest You add a introduce Yourself/General post section to the forum
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »

Stolistic is a hero of sorts here.  He is the one who added all the PE+ games to mame. 

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Stolistic

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:24:55 AM »

I updated the forum to include 2 new tutorials.  One on Coin-In events and Interrupts and another on Random Numbers and Dealing Cards.  If anyone wants to see anything specific let me know.
Styx

Total Karma Storms: 15

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »

OMG I LOVE this!!  Hail

Here is my input from a newbie who loves code, (and maybe you already have this)...

In a "getting started", "Frequently Asked Questions", or "Read This First" thread: Please mention what hardware/ machines/ toys we can find this hobby compatible with. Give examples of what tools would be needed to succeed at making it at different levels.

For example: You can make games and play them in a simulator on your PC. You can make games, put them on a disk and play them on any PC, you can burn it to chips and put it into a reel slot machine, you can burn it to chips and put it on a video machine, etc.

Maybe including the tools and resources needed for each step, so we can see how far we want to delve into this addiction. The reason being: If I'm going to ever pick up a machine, I am going to want one I know is compatible with this sort of fun. I would also want to know what other devices I would need to be successful before diving in too far.

Dangerous and appealing....  stir the pot / get cooking

-Styx
Stolistic

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »

Thanks for the input Styx.

The site is currently 100% focused on developing games for IGT's Player's Edge Plus platform (also known as PE+).  All the tools needed are listed (or provided) on the site to build games that you can test and run on your PC via MAME, and/or burn onto chips and put them in a real machine.  The MAME emulator is quite accurate, so if you make a game and test it on MAME,  there is a very good chance it will run on normal hardware exactly the same.  A person could get comfortable with trying out ideas via MAME before buying a real machine.  But once they have the skills, making a game for a real machine is no more than burning the chips.
Styx

Total Karma Storms: 15

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

That's a bonus for me, since my husband loves poker machines. It's our favorite game to play on a machine so far.

Thanks for the extra info!!

-Styx
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 02:44:18 AM »

This will be very interesting to follow. K+ for sharing Your knowledge. Could I suggest You add a introduce Yourself/General post section to the forum

Stolistic is a hero of sorts here.  He is the one who added all the PE+ games to mame. 

I mis-read Ozzy's post the first time through, too.  I think he was suggesting that Stolistic add a section to his forum for people to introduce themselves.   yes

This is awesome that you're doing this, Stolistic.   Clap

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
TZtech

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »

I mis-read Ozzy's post the first time through, too.  I think he was suggesting that Stolistic add a section to his forum for people to introduce themselves.

Sorry for the confusion - Yes thats what I meant. Thanks again to Stolistic for making this info available.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.