Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:02:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  another issue...the machine from hell..BV comm error now
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: another issue...the machine from hell..BV comm error now  (Read 20354 times)
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »

OK - I switched out the MPU with a working MPU and I'm still getting the '29' error.   I'm going to quickly switch out the entire BV and cashbox assembly and use the BV and cashbox from the working machine...ugh

Jim
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »

that's good that means  it's  not mpu , when you pull cash box  make sure wire d for door are on right lugs on micro sw
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

Swapped the entire BV and coinbox assembly including the BV and cashbox.   To compare apples to apples, I did a clear and then recorded the bootup again.  There are some differences now compared to the first video I posted.  During bootup, the green arrows did not light like they did last time.  The BV still does not work and gets the '29' error.  Another difference is after the '29' error, I open the door, reseat the BV and close the door - after this, the BV does not show any lights but the '29' error is not produced.   Last time '29' was produced.   The BV does not accept bills and there are no green arrows or even a red light.  I open and close the door, the BV recycles, still shows no lights, but does not have the '29' error...

new video after assembly swap is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfw01hbtdzhrwmy/after_entire_replace.MOV

I haven't gotten anywhere so I'm not sure if this is progress Smiley

I haven't switched out the backplane yet.  Any more ideas before I switch that out??

Thanks,
Jim
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »

I would  check dbv plug on back plain to make sure there isn't a pin missing or bent , it happens  and the more times the plug is moved the better chance it might have happen
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »

I would  check dbv plug on back plain to make sure there isn't a pin missing or bent , it happens  and the more times the plug is moved the better chance it might have happen

I double checked the pins on the backplane connection and the connector at the BV.  The backplane connector pins were all there nice and straight.  The connector at the DB is fine as I'm using the harness from the working machine.

whew...

Jim
DF777
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 40

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »

You have probably done this but ram the cash box in and slam the door closed.
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »

You have probably done this but ram the cash box in and slam the door closed.

I've rammed it several times and slammed the door.  I also permanently tape the cashbox door switch closed.  I tried to push the cashbox hard enough so it would come out of the back of the machine Smiley  not looking good.  My last hope is switching out the backplane but I'm not feeling it.

Complete history...

When I got the BV and cash box months ago, it worked fine.  I've had the machine off for about a month or so.  A few days ago, I had noticed there was no power to the machine.  I found that one of the circuit breakers was bad.  I changed the switch assembly out and powered the machine up.  The BV worked fine but a little hinky.  Sometimes the BV would recycle and show the red light (not a '29' though).  There was no associated error.  I would then open the cashbox door, pull the cashbox out a little, slam it back in, close the door, pull the BV out a little and reseat it.  The BV would recycle and the usually work fine.  I then wanted to change the denomination of the machine from 1 dollar to 25 cents.  I changed the first 4 dip switches on DS1 from 1 dollar to 25 cents.  I did a clear and then rebooted with the same mains.  This '29' problem started then and I can't get rid of it.  I figured it was something simple but I tried everything I could think of.  I even changed the dip switches back to 1 dollar, cleared, rebooted...and here I am Sad

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:39:02 PM by JimSlot » Logged
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »

OK - so before I make the backplane swap, I thought for kicks I'd put the entire BV/cashbox assembly and harness that was originally getting the '29' error into the machine that was working.  I put it in, booted it up and it was perfect - accepted bills no problem.  So I think that rules out anything to do with the BV, cashbox switch and harness...can it really be the backplane????  sheesh....I'm going to try to swap that out tonight.

I've been an EM pinball guy for about 15 years...After I get this working, I think I'm going to stick to pins and leave the slots to you guys !!!!

Thanks for those that are hanging in there with me.

Jim
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »

we all get those that make us bang our heads into a wall  , few us  marry in that, you find it jim +1 (Karma, or whatever)
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:19 AM »

I switched the backplanes out and no change...the error '29' continues.  I also swapped the 'error 29' backplane into the working machine and it continued to work fine with its BV.

I don't know what else I can try at this point.  I'm going to sleep on it and hope it comes to me in a dream.  I switched everything that I can think of that would affect the BV communication - BV, harness, cash box switch, MPU, backplane

Anyone have any other ideas I can try???

Thanks,
Jim
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 11:31:34 AM »

did you try power supply? , we know the slot worked at one time
DF777
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 40

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 11:48:47 AM »

Mains??
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »

Mains??
board works in another game
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »

Mains??
board works in another game

Steve,

I took the MPU from the non-working BV machine.  put the game chips in for the working machine, did a clear and put back the mains and the BV worked - not great though.  I had to reseat the BV after the machine booted but at least it worked!   That has to rule out the MPU, right?

I also took the MPU from the working machine and put in the game chips from the non-working machine, cleared and put mains back in...still '29' error.

I guess the power supply swap is next!

Jim
lindam1
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 168

When you're out of Quarters, You're done.

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »

As I said from the get go, It is very doubtful to be the MPU. You have an issue related to the BV assy.  Wiring, plug, Cash can, BV plug, door sw., or something else. Your biggest problem now, is that you're been looking at the same stuff over and over so much that you're missing something that a new set of eyes might see right off the bat. keep posting, maybe someone new will have an idea.

If it ain't broke....Stop trying to fix it.
lindam1

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »

Jim,
    Just had a thought. How many red lights are lit on the front right side of the BV and how are the dips on the BV set?

JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »

did you try power supply? , we know the slot worked at one time

This going to sounds nuts (since I'm nuts at this point)...I swapped the power supplies and the '29' error still appeared.  For some reason, I decided to swap the BV and coin box again....this time it worked - green arrows!!!   But it was not long lived.  I powered the machine off and them on. I could hear the BV but eventually the red light came on. I then reseated the BV and got the dreaded '29' again. I've reseated and swapped BVs and cashcans several times mixing and matching. Still getting the '29 error'.  It worked once so there's got to be something I can do to fix this thing

I didn't test the swapped out pier supply into the working machine yet

As for the lights on the BV, I'll have to check them when I get home

Thanks
lindam1

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 05:30:16 PM »

During the joy filled period of green arrows, did you insert a bill?

JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 08:02:27 PM »

During the joy filled period of green arrows, did you insert a bill?

Doh..no, I didn't try.  I was so excited about seeing the green arrows, I wanted to reboot the machine to see if it was just a mirage...apparently it was Smiley
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »

Jim,
    Just had a thought. How many red lights are lit on the front right side of the BV and how are the dips on the BV set?

There are two red lights on the BV no matter what machine I put them in.   All dip switches are off.
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 08:20:23 PM »

So I get home and for kicks I do another clear, reboot the machine and the BV works now...unreal.  applause  I have no idea what actually fixed the '29' problem because I swapped so much stuff between machines.   I then take the other BV and box and put them back into the machine that was working...now that's giving me a '29' - ha!   I have a poker game next to that so I swapped the BV from the poker machine into the 6000...error '29'   I somehow transferred the error '29' from one machine to another.  Duh!  It's OK for now since I'm getting this one machine, which is now working, ready for a buyer.  The buyer wanted me to add a TITO so I'm going to start that.

I'm going to end this thread because the urgency at hand has been resolved.   When I get to my other machine, I'll probably ask for so more help but I'm going to go through everything again before I post.  Hopefully the TITO installation will go smoothly (praying emoticon)

Thanks all for your help/suggestions

Jim
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »

is the poker a bally or igt?
JimSlot
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »

It's IGT
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »

I think it might have been in acceptor housing. While back I had one gave me problem & fingers in housing was the problem. That's
why I suggested to change housing.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »

It's igt
bally and igt are not swap able id 03 bally id 24 igt
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.