Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Error Code 12 Frenzy!!! (FIXED!!!)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Error Code 12 Frenzy!!! (FIXED!!!)  (Read 16952 times)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

« on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:57 AM »

So I thought I'd share my experience with Error 12 codes on my Jackpot Jungle S Machine.

Some of you know that my machine has a 3 AA battery pack installed instead of the factory battery.  Over the past couple of weeks, I started getting random 12 errors for no rhyme or reason.  When it first started, I figured the batteries were low, so I changed them out.  With new Duracell batteries and hours later, BOOM error 12.  I checked the EPROM's again.  A week ago I found one of them had a bent pin.  Fixed that problem and reinstalled, but no help with the 12 codes.  Then I thought maybe I had a wiring issue with the new buttons that I had installed.  Checked, rechecked, and even put the old buttons back on...no change.  The game might work for hours, or minutes...no pattern at all.  Sometimes when the game was set to pay coins it would play fine until the hopper started to pay coins.  X amount of coins into the payout process it would seize up and bomb out with a 12 code.  I noticed that the power cord was frayed a bit, so I replaced with a PC power cord...worked for a while and then bombed out with a 12 code.  

Duh! hissy fit

Something was shorting out somewhere....obviously.  Finally, I decided to take the motherboard completely out and after looking closely at the solder job for the battery pack that the previous owner had installed, it looked like the positive lead was a bit loose, but not enough to make a difference.  At any rate, I was desperate, so I resoldered both the positive and negative points.  Reinstalled everything and it is now on day 4 without a single problem!  WOOHOO!!  My machine is working perfect now!   applause  Hope this helps somebody somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:37:52 PM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »

Soldering is an art, if you get it right, it fixes a lot! K+

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
dogwrangler
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:31:51 AM »

Great catch!  Sounds like the battery pack was intermittent with those loose wires.  Did you happen to probe the voltage on the board, and if so, did you see anything strange before the repair job?

Do the batteries power the ram all the time, or are they just back up for when the plug is pulled?

Cheers,
-Greg
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:47:17 AM »

Great catch!  Sounds like the battery pack was intermittent with those loose wires.  Did you happen to probe the voltage on the board, and if so, did you see anything strange before the repair job?

Do the batteries power the ram all the time, or are they just back up for when the plug is pulled?

Cheers,
-Greg

I wish I knew how to use a volt meter.  I don't own one and don't even know what or how to check anything even if I had one.  From what I've learned from the veterans out here, my understanding is that the batteries get hit the hardest when the machine is off to keep the memory in tact.  When it's powered on, I'm not sure how hard the batteries are hit, but I think it's less compared to when the machine is off.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  Maybe someone else will chime in.

dogwrangler
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 02:57:06 AM »

Radio shack has a decent one for $19.95.  (Model: 22-810)  I bet you would find it fairly easy to use, and possibly interesting if you like tinkering.

Cheers,
-Greg
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »

I'm glad you got your machine back on track...but let me ask you a question.
Are you using Lithium batteries in the pack?
They need to be 3.6V total and have a capacity of at least 1.2Ah...   (Ah = Amps per hour)
I'm thinking the pack is too large for the trickle charging system on the MPU.
You are also right about the battery being "engaged" when
the household power plug is pulled out or when the power switch.
The MPU takes cares of the RAM memory while the main power is on and
trickles power to the lithium battery instead.
What I don't know is if the trickle is turned off on the MPU when the battery fully charged or not.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »

I'm just using regular Duracell batteries.  Should I be using rechargeable AA batteries in this type of battery pack? 

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »

yes Yoeddy1...
Duracell's are NOT rechargeables...
unless you are USING the rechargeable ones...
but make sure they are lithium batteries okay?
Using the wrong chemical makeup uh,....explodes!
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »

The reason I asked about the batteries was because of this thread:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=148.msg663#msg663

Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »

before someone does something stupid!!!!!     Lithium Batteries are NOT NOT NOT NOT rechargeable.( the one that is used in the S+ ) that is why they go out so often.  They have a life expectancy of 5 to 15 years.  If you have any concerns about the type you are using then put the original type  back in and wait for 5years and do it again.  Don't  try to reinvent the wheel!

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:04:46 PM »

oh...umm, okay...I didn't know that lithiums were not rechargeable...
Thanks for letting us know Jim!
A group of us bought a whole boatload of lithiums batteries (3.6V, lithium, 1.2Ah)
Are we using the correct batteries for our S+'s?
I know mine have lasted at least 8 years in a particular S+ in which I have never changed the battery so far.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »

So are there lithium non-rechargeable AA batteries?

Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »

Mark  yes you are using the right ones     google Tadiran.com        they are the people that make the purple battery that is pictured in reply# 6 of this thread.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »

The S+ does not recharge batteries, I don't think any slot platform recharges the backup battery (at least none that I've seen).  The batteries as Jim pointed out,  are used while the power is off.  When it's on, the battery is not drained.  If you want to make your life easier, the next time you get an error 12, you can do this easy mod and you'll never have to solder again.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=119.0

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:01:57 PM »

Ok, so Energizer makes a standard lithium (non-rechargeable) AA battery that supposedly lasts 8x longer than a standard AA.  Spendy though, but these should be ok right?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:05:21 PM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

dogwrangler
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:29 PM »

If the error happened while the machine was on, then the batteries should not have been the issue, since the chassis power supply would be powering the ram.  Since an error occurred while the hopper was running, I would suspect the vibration aggravated a cold solder joint.

As for which batteries, you just want to match the original voltage (and something that doesn't leak).
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »

If the error happened while the machine was on, then the batteries should not have been the issue, since the chassis power supply would be powering the ram.  Since an error occurred while the hopper was running, I would suspect the vibration aggravated a cold solder joint.

...like the solder joint of the wires from the battery pack to the board.  If the wire became disconnected (or if he removed a battery), I would suspect he'd get an error 12 as the machine would detect a low battery, even if the batteries weren't being used at that moment to keep the memory.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 10:23:12 PM »

The S+ does not recharge batteries, I don't think any slot platform recharges the backup battery (at least none that I've seen).  The batteries as Jim pointed out,  are used while the power is off.  When it's on, the battery is not drained.  If you want to make your life easier, the next time you get an error 12, you can do this easy mod and you'll never have to solder again.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=119.0

The Universal slots (8116, 8800, 94000) use a rechargable NiCad battery. Not sure if it receives a trickle charge. They seem to last forever but begin leaking acid with age. Best to replace them every five years.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:06:54 PM »

Ok, so Energizer makes a standard lithium (non-rechargeable) AA battery that supposedly lasts 8x longer than a standard AA.  Spendy though, but these should be ok right?

Oops...I added the word lithium to the post above.  Testing them now.  So far so good.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »

Great yoeddy1 !
By the way, I really like rick hunter's battery mod...I think it's cool! yes
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 01:22:04 AM »

The Universal slots (8116, 8800, 94000) use a rechargable NiCad battery. Not sure if it receives a trickle charge. They seem to last forever but begin leaking acid with age. Best to replace them every five years.

You know, the more I learn about Uni's the more I think a lot more thought went into their design, makes you wonder why Uni's didn't take hold to the same extent that IGT did.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 07:26:56 AM »

IGT had a bigger legal department.  Big enough to cause problems for Universal, from what I understand.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 03:51:20 AM »

Ok...the 12's are coming back on occasion.  It's not related to hopper vibration because sometimes it will bomb out even in credit mode.  I pulled the game chip and memory chip and reseated.  I get the 61 at power up, hold down the test button, and all is well for a while then at random a 12 comes up.  Could it be the molex on the main board?  I'm about ready to just live with it.  I can't think of anything else.

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 12:35:46 AM »

I tried cleaning the molex pins and it didn't change.  I'm thinking of scrapping the battery pack and picking up a 3.6v battery and soldering it onto the board.  Other than trying this, I can't think of anything else.  Anyone?

a69mopar
647-402-1977

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 01:51:40 AM »

That's what I would do, however others have faired well with battery packs.

W

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.