Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:57:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Other Hobbies and Interests that our NLG members enjoy.
| |-+  Other Hobbies and Interests
| | |-+  Parking Meter Locks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parking Meter Locks  (Read 33123 times)
Alan Hankins
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »

I'm trying to restore a Duncan Parking meter.  My first hurdle is the locks.  Took the meter to a locksmith who said he couldn't help because they are restricted and he can't get blanks for them.  He also said he couldn't replace them (which doesn't seem logical to me).  One lock is already open, but the other isn't.  I would think a locksmith could make keys for each lock, restricted or not.  What do most people do in this situation?  Get keys made (and by whom?) or replace the locks or something else?

Thanks for the help!!

Another question: the paint is chipped.  What's the best way to touch it up?
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »

find a new locksmith
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »

welcome aboard i see you recently signed on today .
PERHAPS ANOTHER FORUM WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET ..

the coincidence of a member of NLG"S who collects parking meters may have a offline chat with you ..
i never found talking to a mirror --that it answered back ???

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »

You could always drill out the lock that won't open and replace them with standard locks, if they will fit. If locksmiths are giving you hassles about the device, just take your own measurements and go to the locksmith empty handed. Tell him that you want two locks of a particular sized and length barrel and with tangs of your measured length, and install them yourself. That's what I would do.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:10:53 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »

Are they single sided keys? Double sided? Barrel type?

If they are simply single sided keys then you can pick them pretty easy. Use another paper clip or small screwdriver to put tension on the lock while you rake the tumblers with a second paper clip.

I learned that trick at a Christian college in Texas. Works great on tool boxes, arcade games, and other things you lose keys for.

Double sided locks and barrel locks get drilled out.

You can find some simple locks at Home Depot. Look for "mailbox locks" which work on many different types of games.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
StatFreak

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »

There is a tool for picking round, barrel type locks. They are actually easier to pick than straight locks when one has the tool. A search a couple of years ago found instructional videos on youtube and sites that sold the picks.

I have no idea about the legality of owning such devices and am not making any recommendations for or against. Scratch Head 3 Scratch Head 3  Wasn't Me
Readers will have to come to their own conclusions...  arrow stir the pot / get cooking

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
a69mopar
647-402-1977

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »

They are called tubular lock picks, and most places will only sell to locksmiths, but perhaps on the internet.... who knows.  This type of tool shouldn't be carried around with you.

http://www.lockpickshop.com/TPXS-07.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2HbnrHhhP80&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2HbnrHhhP80&rel=0</a>

Thanks,
Wayne

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »

I wasn't going to make it that easy for everybody.  arrow frying pan bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

a69mopar
647-402-1977

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »

No problem Stat..  I did.  Tongue Out

W

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
junkman
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:29:38 AM »

You can pick them up at lowes. The locks just take the old one.

Always remember when you leave the house keep your eye's open.
johl77
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »

What model Duncan Parking meter?  My husband works for the city that we live in, they recently gave us all of the original Dancan Parking Meters and about 15 boxes of brand new mechanisms from our town (about 500 mechanisms and 200 full meters).  We are deffinatly looking for a way to get rid of some of these(well way more that some)... We do have a few on ebay but there is not a great demand and we have an over whelming amount!  If anyone is interested or knows someone that may be intersted, that would be great.  They are Model 50s which are from the early 40's. They were the second model that was made by the duncan company (as the first model kind of flopped) So they are pretty cool, any collector should have one  yes
junkman

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

Hey joh177 ill take five of them or more off your hands if the price is right. Send me some pictures and a price

Always remember when you leave the house keep your eye's open.
slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »

@ johl77

private message sent
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »

I am also interested post pic or pm me thanks

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
johl77
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 07:13:21 PM »

I am excited to see some interest! I have been on the computer for days researching our overwhelming pile of parking meters, hopefully here I will learn something that I have not read yet!  We have the meters in a warehouse down the road from our house, I will go over there in the AM and take some pics and post them right away.  With having  so many meters and mechanisms we have not gone through EVERYTHING yet, but from what i've seen so far we prob. have about  50 "Miller Meters", which from my research seem to be the oldest, and well over 100 "Duncan meters". Some have just a quarter slot, some take 1,5,10 cents, some are 12hr and some are 2hr. 
johl77
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »

Here are some pics of the "Miller Meter" front and back.

* 2012-01-14_16-03-45_514.jpg (1024.79 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 1459 times.)

* Back.jpg (1008.14 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 890 times.)
johl77
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »

Sorry about the pics I didn't realize the were going to come out sideways.  So here is the "Duncan Miller" (has the same back as the Miller) and a 12hr .25 cent mechanism. These meters were in our town for well over 30 years and have been in storage for about 10 years, so these meters are not in perfect condition by any means.  At some point our town scratched off the .1 cent on the coin slot and on the back scratched off the info for the penny which I believe said something along the lines of - 12 minutes  for each penny, to maximum time on the dial.  Some one at some time has also taken apart about 30 meters so we also have TONS of parts.

* Duncan Meter.jpg (994.54 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 1523 times.)

* Model 1.jpg (1004.95 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 1372 times.)
jhb
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »

do you have keys for the locks?
donut31
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 01:07:09 PM »

I'd be interested in the locks you are looking to get rid of as well, as I purchased a nice Duncan Miller meter that has an inoperable lock.  PM me when you get a chance.
MuddyRiver
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »

Hi everyone, I just joined and this msg board is amazing, my question to johl77 or anyone else that can or has an answer to this. How did you get your city to give you all those parking meters? My city is so tight and unwiling to let them go, whats your secret? A little about me I live in Ontario Canada and I am into both parking meters and drive-in speakers. I am just starting to mess around with them and I was thinking about restoring some for myself and a few....well 3 close friends. Any info would be great. I have done the ebay thingy and, well shipping to Canada alot of times cost as much if not more then what I want. I am not looking to make this a business, just a few for friends, and any help for this newbie would be great. I see that there is alot of knowledge here.   wave applause Hail
emt232004

Total Karma Storms: 208

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »

What model Duncan Parking meter?  My husband works for the city that we live in, they recently gave us all of the original Dancan Parking Meters and about 15 boxes of brand new mechanisms from our town (about 500 mechanisms and 200 full meters).  We are deffinatly looking for a way to get rid of some of these(well way more that some)... We do have a few on ebay but there is not a great demand and we have an over whelming amount!  If anyone is interested or knows someone that may be intersted, that would be great.  They are Model 50s which are from the early 40's. They were the second model that was made by the duncan company (as the first model kind of flopped) So they are pretty cool, any collector should have one  yes

How much are you asking?
johl77
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:48 PM »

I am more than interested if they are model 50 Duncan miller parking meters.  I would love to talk to you more, my email is johl77@yahoo.com, please contact me on my email.  I would love if you could send me a few pics, and let me know the condition of the meters.  I am interested in meters that operate properly and meters that don't work, or keep improper time.  Hope to here from you soon
cobrahd1999

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 08:32:23 PM »

Does anyone have pics of the 2 locks setup that Duncan uses on there 60 & 76 meters. I am a newbie and getting my first meter sometime this week it needs locks and would like to know what I need to get to make everything work. I been seaching the net for some pics but no luck.
thanks for any help guys. USA Tank

Have a great day
Frank
Disabled Vietnam Vet 68-69 US ARMY Brothers Forever..
"The trouble with the Vietnam War it killed so many that survived"
"That's all I have to say about that. "( Forrest Gump)
Retired Carpenter Local 272 Chicago
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.