Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:26:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+  FAQ: Replying and Quoting within threads and adding attachments.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FAQ: Replying and Quoting within threads and adding attachments.  (Read 12267 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« on: November 15, 2009, 01:28:16 AM »

Several new members have expressed difficulty in either inserting quotes or attaching pictures. One reason that new members may be having issues with these actions is that the Quick Reply feature bypasses them. I recommend that new members NOT use the quick reply and quick edit features until they are more familiar with the forum software.

With that in mind, here are some answers to FAQ regarding posting.

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:08:32 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:06:44 AM »

How do you highlight a quote then insert it into a reply?

The best way is to click on the "Quote" button located within the particular post that you want to quote INSTEAD of using the Reply button at the bottom of the page. Click within the large text box containing the quote, move the cursor to the end of the text in the reply box, press <ENTER> to drop to a new line, and start typing. That starts a reply with the quote already inserted. Once you've done this a few times, you will see the pattern of how the author and date, etc. are included in the quote. It is important not to disturb the SMS commands for the start and end of the quote, however, you can edit or remove part of the quote within the brackets. Here is an example. Note that I have removed most of the quoted post and replaced it with three periods.

This is exactly how it will look in your reply text box:

Code:
[quote author=StatFreak link=topic=5260.msg45606#msg45606 date=1258255696]
Several new members have expressed difficulty ...
[/quote]

Type your reply to the quote here.

You can also insert a quote from another post while typing your reply by first placing the cursor inside your reply at the location in which you wish the quote to appear, then scrolling down to the list or previous quotes and clicking on the insert quote link in the upper-right of each post.

All of these actions require you to use the normal quote/reply method, NOT the quick reply. That quick reply bypasses many of the forum's most useful tools. For example, you can't attach pictures when using the quick reply, in addition to being unable to add quotes, nor do you have access to the smileys.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:23:20 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:07:10 AM »

How do you attach pictures to a post or reply?

Again, the trick is to start by using the normal Reply button or a Quote button located in a previous post. Do NOT use the Quick Reply.

If you look below the large text box in which you type your post, you will see a one-line text box labeled Attach: with a "Browse..." button located immediately to the right.
To attach an image (.jpg preferred), click on the browse button. This will open up a dialog box that will allow you to navigate your through your computer's folders just as you would when opening a file in Word or Excel. Go to the folder that contains the picture you wish to upload, select the picture and click on the "Open" button (Windows).

You can attach up to two pictures per post, and each must be less than 1MB. To attach a second picture, click on the more attachments link to the right of the "Browse..." button.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:19:49 AM by StatFreak » Logged

StatFreak

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 02:07:33 AM »

Can I modify my post once I've posted it?

YES! You do not need to re-post to make a correction.
If you look at the buttons in the top right corner of every post, you will see that your own posts include a button labeled "Modify". Clicking on this button will allow you to make any changes to your post that you wish. Posts modified more than 5-minutes after originally posted will have a modification date/timestamp added to the bottom of the post.

NOTE: If you see a small "edit" icon on the lower-right side of the post, that is a "Quick Edit". It functions much the same as the Quick Reply in that it does not redraw the entire webpage. However, as with the quick reply, you will not have access to the smileys, quote insertions, text formatting, or emoticons when using this feature.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:20:02 AM by StatFreak » Logged

StatFreak

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 02:07:42 AM »

How do I remove/change an image that I've already attached?

Click on the Modify button located in the upper-right corner of your post as stated above. Do not use the quick edit function. You will see a list of the previously attached images below the large text box. Each attachment will have a check box immediately to the left. To remove an attachment, simply uncheck the box and click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.

If you already have two images attached to the post and need to change one, you will have to do this in two steps. First, remove the unwanted image as just described, then modify the post a second time. When you modify the post after removing one or both attachments, the Attach: text box and "Browse..." button will reappear, allowing you to add the replacement picture.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:20:16 AM by StatFreak » Logged

StatFreak

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 02:17:28 AM »

What do I do if I want to post more than two pictures?

While some forums discourage multiple unanswered posts from one user within a thread, it is perfectly acceptable on NLG to post several times in a row to add more than two pictures. Just remember that there must be some text within each post or the forum won't allow you to post.

StatFreak

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 02:30:13 AM »

I've seen people use smileys that don't show up on the main posing page. How can I access them?

When you are using the normal reply, quote, or "Start New Thread" commands and have the full posting page on your screen, you will see a listing of the most commonly used emoticons just above the main text box and below the formatting buttons. At the end of this list is a link to [more] icons that will open up a new page, either in a pop-up, or a new tab, depending on your browser and its settings. Click on as many of the emoticons as you wish. Each click will add the SMS code for the smiley at the current location of the cursor in the main text box. Click the close window link at the bottom of the page of extended emoticons to close that window/tab.

StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »

For more information on how to use the forum software, click on the HELP button located in the far upper-left corner of every page, just to the right of the "Home" button, right under your User info and just above the banner ads.

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

applause

nice post and K+

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »

Stat, can you add to this and explain how to add a picture, .jpg, to a PM?  I have on occasion received PM's with a pic but have not figured out to do it myself.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
OhioGaming
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »

I can't figure that one out either.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 05:31:29 PM »

You can't attach one, but you can link to one in your PM.

Thanks,
Bill
delma
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

Several new members have expressed difficulty in either inserting quotes or attaching pictures. One reason that new members may be having issues with these actions is that the Quick Reply feature bypasses them. I recommend that new members NOT use the quick reply and quick edit features until they are more familiar with the forum software.

With that in mind, here are some answers to FAQ regarding posting.

Thank you for taking the time to school new members like me.  K+ 2 u

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator
delma
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »

Why is my reply to the quote highlighted in blue too? 
tjkeller
NLG Translator
NLG Document, Media Gallery and FAQ Writer
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 374

What???...Where???...Huh???

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 10:49:42 PM »

Why is my reply to the quote highlighted in blue too? 

Because you typed within the quote.  Make sure you begin your reply AFTER the "[/quote]" at the end of the quoted text.

Thank God for Friends!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.