Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  Editing .rtf pictures
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Editing .rtf pictures  (Read 9103 times)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« on: November 21, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »

Lots of times I find a cool picture on the internet.
I hit "Alt" and the "Print Screen" button, open up "Word Pad" and 
paste the screenshot on wordpad and the webpage I was looking at is saved into wordpad.
I always thought that was great...but say I'd like to make some picture on the page
from the screen shot a little bigger or something and try to open it up
in something like Window Paint" or "Paint.net" - it won't "recognize" the screen shot.
In short, what can I do to edit a photo that I can grab with "Print Screen"?
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:54:06 PM »

Try this instead when you want to grab photos from web pages that don't have a way to copy the image openly:

Highlight the picture and press <Ctrl>C to copy it to the clipboard. You may need to click outside the image and drag the cursor to get the image highlighted. If the image is properly highlighted, pressing <ctrl>C will copy it, even if the web designer has disabled the right click menu. You may need to snag some text with the image. in extreme cases where the web designer has tried to disable cursor highlighting as well, pressing <ctrl>A will highlight the entire page 98% of the time. It's simpler to have a copy of only the image, but if you end up with more, it's usually not an issue.

Open MS Word and paste the image (or clipboard content) into a document (<ctrl>V). Highlight the image again and copy it to the clipboard <ctrl>C. If you ended up copying more than the image from the web page, now is the time to selectively highlight only the image. Open your photo program of choice and paste the clipboard in as a new image. You will then have an image that can be saved as a normal .jpeg, etc. You have to go through Word. The original clipboard data from the web page will not paste as an image into photo software.

<ADD> As far as converting .rtf files that you have already saved into .jpgs, I'd have to get back to you on that, or perhaps another member will post.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:32:49 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:04:25 PM »

paint will save anything you can paste into it as a .jpg, just go to File --> Save As, and then select jpeg from the drop-down menu.

Thanks,
Bill
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:19:03 PM »

Mark-

Instead of pasting your picture into wordpad, just paste it directly into paint.

Step-by-step:

- Press PrintScreen (or alt-PrintScreen, if you desire)
- Open Paint (start > programs > accessories > paint)
- From the Edit menu, click "Paste"
- File > Save As (and pick your preferred file format from the drop-down in the dialog box)

RTF is Rich Text Format.  You actually have a text document with an embedded picture.  You may be able to copy the picture out of there and then paste it into Paint.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

paint will save anything you can paste into it as a .jpg, just go to File --> Save As, and then select jpeg from the drop-down menu.

That works.  yes

Stout, I tried copying your avatar using my picture-highlighting trick and Wordpad and it doesn't work. Wordpad only pasted the extra text that I highlighted with the avatar, not the picture. MS Word formatted the clipboard and separated the picture so that it could be highlighted independently.

For those using Photoshop, (I'm still using CS2) once the second generation copy of the image from MS Word is in the clipboard, go to the PS File menu and select "New". The dialog should automatically default to "Clipboard" as the preset. If the clipboard preset is not available, you've done something wrong in the copy process. Click OK to create the new image. It will be blank, but the right size. Go to the Edit menu and select Paste. This will paste the image into the new canvas that you just created.

For those with an OLD program called "Microsoft Photo Editor" which is from a much earlier version of MS Office (95 (97?) or earlier, I believe) the process is much simpler. Just open the program and select "Paste as New Image" to paste the MS Word copy of the image into the program, then save the new file and you're done. It's a very old and basic program, but I still use it for simple operations and for file viewing.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »

All very excellent posts men!... Hail Now, I'll a taste of that Glenlivet! Drinking Wine
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »

Mark-

Instead of pasting your picture into wordpad, just paste it directly into paint.

Step-by-step:

- Press PrintScreen (or alt-PrintScreen, if you desire)
- Open Paint (start > programs > accessories > paint)
- From the Edit menu, click "Paste"
- File > Save As (and pick your preferred file format from the drop-down in the dialog box)

RTF is Rich Text Format.  You actually have a text document with an embedded picture.  You may be able to copy the picture out of there and then paste it into Paint.

That is what I do. Paint is really easy for this.

That is how I show off the spysat photos without giving away the entire surveillance picture!  Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley Sherlock Smiley If you are going to a word proc program with the picture, you have to use word and not wordpad as that is where the rtf comes from. You may be able to manually open the rtf files in word to get at the photos? I have never tried that?

Mark CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 12:56:38 AM »

Super simple, just a few minutes cause I am slow!

Ha Ha!  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Does it look like I am procrastinating!  Scratch Head Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

CH CaptainHappy

* paint is easy avatars.JPG (27.76 KB, 640x747 - viewed 296 times.)

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 01:02:40 AM »

I was curious if you could play with the images, and here is what happened when I moved them around and grabbed a corner or side to stretch it.

Resolution takes a big hit depending on size of source.

CH CaptainHappy

* paint is easy avatars 2.JPG (59.96 KB, 640x747 - viewed 307 times.)

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 01:29:16 AM »

That's exactly what I wanted to do Capt!!!!!
Did you just hit "Alt" & "Print Screen" and opened it up with plain old windows "paint"?    Scratch Head 2
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 02:01:17 AM »

That's exactly what I wanted to do Capt!!!!!
Did you just hit "Alt" & "Print Screen" and opened it up with plain old windows "paint"?    Scratch Head 2

Mark,

Mine had a few steps as I did more than one iteration, but the initial steps are the same.

I have not done the "Alt" & "Print Screen" yet.

I hit the printscreen button.
Opened Paint that is in windows.
Hit CNTRL V on the blank canvas and picture appears.
Used the selection rectangle tool. (Dotted Rectangle in the tool bar)
I put the rectangle around both avatars in this case, and it gets all of the in between graphics as well. (Could have done one at a time if I wanted to.)
After selected I do CNTRL C to copy the selection
I hit the "new" selection in the menu, and then confirmed I want to throw away the untitled document.
I had a new canvass that I again did: Hit CNTRL V on the blank canvas and picture appears.
Then I selected the avatars on at a time and moved them to the right side of the canvas.
Then I Used the selection rectangle tool to enclose the stuff that I just took the avatars from and hit delete to get rid of the mess... (Easier and quicker than the eraser tool!)
Then I added text...
Then I saved as "my title" and selected file type as .JPG

For the second file I copied my avatar, and then pasted it in the first document I had saved. Then I stretched it larger, and it worked, but it does get hit on the resolution. I was then curious if I could then adjust an already copied and saved item, so I played with your and Stat's avatars.

I hope this makes sense?

Mark CaptainHappy

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 04:36:33 AM »

no,  arrow   (just kidding)  but I'll try it!  Tongue Out
Now, I wanna stretch open pictures by sticking two fingers on my touchscreen
and enlarging/rotating pictures Crazy like on NCIS.Los Angles.
Is that possible? Scratch Head 2 Scratch Head 3 obsessed drool
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 06:47:24 AM »

+
no,  arrow   (just kidding)  but I'll try it!  Tongue Out
Now, I wanna stretch open pictures by sticking two fingers on my touchscreen
and enlarging/rotating pictures Crazy like on NCIS.Los Angles.
Is that possible? Scratch Head 2 Scratch Head 3 obsessed drool

The short answer: YES YOU CAN!!!

I am pretty sure you can do some of those features on some of the new HP computers that are basically just a touchscreen LCD with the computer in the back and you plug in a keyboard!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503034&search=hp%20touchscreen%20computer&Mo=25&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001486&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=hp%20touchscreen%20computer&Ntt=hp%20touchscreen%20computer&No=5&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

Example above! Wow, whata link................................... Does it ever end.

Who needs a computer when you can do it on your phone!!!  yes propeller yes

Now I do also think you can do the flick and expandy trick and others on an iPhone, but I have Sprint so I would not know for sure.

I have looked at Sprint's Palm Pre and have done some of those cool actions, and I want to get that phone, but one major item is stopping me! I have the Samsung Instict now, which was the original Sprint answer to be somewhat like the iPhone, close, but still needs work. What I do like about it is that it has a full screen size keyboard that comes up landscape mode on the touch screen for email and text messages. The Palm Pre is missing this software feature, they are catering to the CrackBerry Ho's, no offense to anyone, and they have a slide up feature with a Rat Size Keyboard hidden underneath... First the lip in front of the recessed keyboard is awkward and sharp, and second you would have trouble hitting a single key with one chopstick, let alone a human finger!!!  Duh! Duh! Duh! bawling bawling bawling hissy fit hissy fit hissy fit Why can't they add a software option for an on screen keyboard as I like that phone and its OS and features!  hissy fit

Yes, I too want an NCIS:L.A. WALL!!!  yummy

CH CaptainHappy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.