Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 04:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  WMS WILLIAMS. (Moderator: tacman)
| | |-+  CPUNXT Conversion Notes and Findings
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CPUNXT Conversion Notes and Findings  (Read 8173 times)
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« on: September 16, 2008, 03:25:30 AM »

Hopefully this thread will help others who are going through the process or are thinking of upgrading their 360/550 cabinets to CPUNXT.

For those who don't know the legacy (the now official term for the original WMS Video Slot Platform) cabinets 360 and 550 can be converted to run the new bluebird software.  That upgrade is called the CPUNXT Upgrade.

You basically swap out your I/O board and MPU board for a single consolidated CPUNXT board.  This board then goes into the same slot the  I/O board used to take.  The kit as it comes from WMS consists of:

1. EMI Filter 6 Amps.
2. Auxilliary Power harness
3. CPUNXT MPU board
4. Updated Bill Validator harness.
5. Belly door interlock switch with cable

Additionally you will need
5. Game Compact Flash card (128MB or 256MB depending on title)
6. OS Compact Flash Card (64MB)
7. Clear Compact Falsh Card (64MB)

All those parts are as shipped from WMS.  Of course as hobbyists we don't have access to the WMS order desk, so we have to make do with what the dealers supply

My kit only had the CPUNXT board, a game card, a clear card, and an OS Card.  I was told that the emi filter, auxilliary power cable, and the belly interlock switch kit were not necessary for home use.

The game operated fine for the most part with a few exceptions.

1.  Your coin comparitor needs to be replaced if you want to use coins.  Most WMS units come with a CC16D comparitor, this needs to be exchanged for an IDX10 compartior or an MC40.  If your 360/550 already had an IDX10, you got lucky.  Otherwise you will need an MC40 and a new comparitor harness.
2.  If your power supply is not up to snuff, you will run into all kind of weird randomn reboots and machine failing to start correctly.
3.  If you have converted your CRT monitor to an LCD and are running the LCD off the power supply in the cabinet, don't do it.  Use a separate power supply for the LCD.  It draws enough power to also cause randomn reboots.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:29:10 PM by rickhunter » Logged

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:26:55 AM »

Ok, got a hold of the AUX Power cable.  If you don't have one on your conversion, GET ONE or make one with the pinout info below.  It will stop random reboots and other instabilities after ther conversion.

The cable is identical to the one already in use on the 550/360 except that there are 5 wires that instead of going into the backplane go into the 6 pin molex minifig Jr plug on the CPUNXT board.  So picture the molex that plugs into the P/S  with 24 wires coming out, 5 of which go to this aux power plug, and the rest straight into the backplane's 24 pin molex. The pins that go there as as follows

PDU    Aux Connector (Molex Minifit Jr 6 pin)
9            1    Ground
10            2   Ground
13            6    Power Fail
21            4    +5 V
22            5    +5 V

In the picture below you can clearly see the harness goint into the cpunxt board.  This is a WMS blessed 550 conversion with all the parts that I did not get when I purchased my CPUNXT upgrade.

* converted550.jpg (160.05 KB, 800x600 - viewed 365 times.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:30:21 PM by rickhunter » Logged

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Wildlos
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »

Scratch Head Ok here is my problem. I have 3x WMS 550 cabinets and 2 cpu-nxt boards. I have the new power harness on all three cabinets that plugs straight into the board but I can only get the boards to run on one of the three cabinets. On the other two, in the middle of loading the game, the screen becomes fuzzy and it stops loading in the middle of the loading process. Someone keeps telling me that its the power supply that needs to be adjusted but no one can tell me how? Anyone been through this as well? Any suggestions? Please help its making my hair fall out...  hissy fit
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »

The power suppy on the these conversion needs to be running in top shape.  WMS 55x power supplies are notably weak.  I'll bet if you swap the power supply from the working machine to a non-working machine it will work.  Your best bet is to replace the inner part of the power supply (the one that supplies +5 and +12 volts).  You can usually find these for under $100.

blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:13:23 AM »

WMS stopped selling the factory Power Supply Board earlier last year, but a few are still around new at reasonable price, or Happ has the stick it in and walk up special reaming

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:08:22 AM »

I have a related question.  I was once told that I could not convert my Williams 360 with a CPUnxt card because of the type of Bill Validator it had.  Is there any truth to that???

Thanks.

Jim S

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Railroad94
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 225

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »

I think the issue comes in if you have a DBV unit and not a WBA
Slotmaster

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »

I think you are right on that but I forget as it should work with it in theory if it had ID003 loaded.

The 360-1 was the WBA version of the 360 which came out later.  However the BV style they used is so hard to get or come by!

Here is a bargain on NXT boards  rotflmao (Priced to sell fast)

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/albaruff

Railroad94
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members

Total Karma Storms: 225

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »

banghead banghead  OUCH!!!   but only 25 shipping bust gut laughing
Slotmaster

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »

Well in all fairness they do have 10 to sell.  rotflmao

But what always gets me is when they want more for their items but put less information about what they are selling.  They don't even list the title you get with the board, heck they don't even include the Power harness for that price.

Market price for used ones is $1200 - $1600 range over the last 2 years and the are still in demand.
jrr922
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 12:42:53 AM »

Scratch Head Ok here is my problem. I have 3x WMS 550 cabinets and 2 cpu-nxt boards. I have the new power harness on all three cabinets that plugs straight into the board but I can only get the boards to run on one of the three cabinets. On the other two, in the middle of loading the game, the screen becomes fuzzy and it stops loading in the middle of the loading process. Someone keeps telling me that its the power supply that needs to be adjusted but no one can tell me how? Anyone been through this as well? Any suggestions? Please help its making my hair fall out...  hissy fit

I possibly had a similar situation as your fuzzy monitor when I was doing my upgrade as well.  Halfway thru loading the game, the Kristel monitor went fuzzy and I couldnt read what was going on.  I recleared the ram and chose the other monitor option "the default" and then reloaded the game and it loaded up nicely, and didnt go all wavy. However, mine now says touch screen error- but I ordered an LCD for an upgrade which should arrive on Monday and hopefully will not have the same error.  Just thought it might be a similarity, or I could be way off too!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.