Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:30:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ power problems?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ power problems?  (Read 13698 times)
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 62

« on: April 05, 2010, 10:09:13 PM »

Trying to help out a friend, 1992 S+ no dbv, here is his decription of the problem...

"Thanks for helping. 61 appears in the window. Per the manual, it says to hold down the reset button, then the error code does not change to 61-1. I bought the machine not working. When transported it, all the tokens fell out of the hopper. With needle nose pliers, tried to remove them. Touched something, and it tripped my breaker in that room, and a big spark from the transformer area. Changed a blown fuse, and it powered up. Two pinball guys said they could fix it. They took $160, plus a $20 battery and did not fix it. Also, the display is flickering, and when you reset, 5555 apears in the window"

I think he is having power supply problems?  The 5555 has me stumped?  Scratch Head
Suggestions?

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
Brianzz
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

I'm sure a wayward coin fried his power supply. Who removes coins with the power plugged in?
OhioGaming

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »

With the flickering of the display I would think that it is the CPU board causing the problem.
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »

I'll check and see which fuse blew and had to be replaced.  Could the bad power supply be causing the MPU board to set the flickering 5555?

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »

Who removes coins with the power plugged in?

People who like the....   Burning Resistor Burning Resistor Burning Resistor Burning Resistor Burning Resistor

I would guess that some components on the MPU, and possibly the motherboard, got fried.  You could try a known working MPU in there to see if that resolves the problem, although you're risking frying the known good board if something is really askew in the machine.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:42 PM »

Homer Insane  AAAAAhhhhhhh...The Brown Smell   Crying Eyes

Brianzz

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:17:01 PM »

hmmm.. now think bad out it all brown smells are pretty bad  bust gut laughing
Thor777

Total Karma Storms: 415

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12:59 AM »

I'll check and see which fuse blew and had to be replaced.  Could the bad power supply be causing the MPU board to set the flickering 5555?

I have had the flickering and it turned out to be a bad connection on one of the legs of the BASE chip but I have never seen that 5555 code  Scratch Head

Mabey it's the 555 timer chip... Duh! frying pan bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing  (sorry, I HAD to)  frying pan

My CAT is smarter than your honor student  !!!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:28:53 AM »

I've seen coins piled up to 6 inches deep in an S+...nothing even happened.
I turned the power off, removed the plug from the WALL outlet
and removed all the coins into a tray.
Turned out the divertor solenoid was out of order due to a broken wire.
All the coins went straight to the hopper and
overflowed like there was no tomorrow.

It's important to determine exactly which fuse had blown...
that would send someone like me straight to the cause.

As for the "5's" in the display...sounds a lot like somebody
was messing around with the chips.
Betcha it's a folded under eprom leg - which are hard to see.

Why anyone would want to go picking metal coins out of a hot machine
with a pair of pliers is way beyond stupidity...it's more like
a bad affliction of suicidal tendencies... bust gut laughing
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »

I'd presume that the flickering 5s in the display are just a symptom of the displays getting power that they shouldn't be getting.   lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
polybius
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:53 PM »

Hello, I am the genius that caused all this. Any realistic options, for someone who knows nothing, or dump it and buy a working one? I am almost $400 into it now, so another couple hundred is ok. I just want to play. Love the comments, they are half true!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:11:51 AM »

Are there any members nearby you that might have spare MPU and
display, power supply and chips to try some
swapping out procedures to pinpoint the problem?
I'd try swapping the power supply first...
if that's it then all you need is a power supply.
If not, then swap a motherboard and see if that's the problem...
if that's it, then all you need is a motherboard...
Are you seeing what I'm trying to say?
We need to find out what blew.

The pinball guys couldn't fix it because they
didn't have slot machine parts...they only have pinball parts.
Now , why you'd get pinball guys to try and
fix your slot machine is beyond my thinking.
I would never call a Maytag dishwasher repairman to
see if they could come over and service my furnace? Scratch Head 3  
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »

Hey     polybius :  Post some of the pics you took.. so these guys can confirm the model.
I'm still a rookie here, but I went over to see him last week.  His machine is what I believe to be a cruise ship model? S+
Its more narrow than a standard S+, but the board mounts to the inside of the left wall.  It doesn't have a regular S+ power supply, the large transformer is mounted
in the center rear, and is openly exposed. There is a red box with 2 or 3 molex plugs marked 24 volt in the rear center right.
Reels look standard, as does coin mech etc.  Is this an S+ or an S??  He does have a working S+ sitting right next to the broken one.  They both appear to have
10 Mhz boards.  I was going to try swapping boards, but I didn't realize the depth of the aluminum back plate was different.  I didn't have time to do the switch that day, due to other
concerns.  But I will be more than happy to help him out in whatever way I can or you guys suggest.  Reels are firm when powered up, but it will not cycle, it just sits there flickereing the LED displays.  So much for me being the Hero that day  bust gut laughing

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 12:50:11 AM »

Well, one thing for sure...he has power...
Can you perform a clear for him?
Maybe put in a known good set of SP and SS chips to see if the display works?
Maybe bring a matching display board as well?
To switch MPU's in the different sized tray - all is needed is a good phillips screwdriver.
Doesn't take long.
I'd try to do a clear chip procedure first to see if that fixes the problem.
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »

Yep, I have a clear chip we can use...let me know when you want to give it a shot polybius  lightning bolt   lightning bolt

polybius
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 01:59:05 PM »

I have to figure out how to make my pics smaller, then I will post. I am doing nothing after 2pm today. I hate for you to go through all this trouble for me. I just do not know exactly what to buy to try it. I think I might try switching motherboards. If I smoke the good one, does that tell me anything?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »

I'm thinking a clear procedure will help you at least see if the 5555's go away.
We don't know what the pinball guys did.
I hope they didn't accidentally convert the power supply into a 220volt unit!
Did they move any power supply wires around?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »

I have to figure out how to make my pics smaller, then I will post. I am doing nothing after 2pm today. I hate for you to go through all this trouble for me. I just do not know exactly what to buy to try it. I think I might try switching motherboards. If I smoke the good one, does that tell me anything?

An easy way to post pictures without having to resize them yourself is to go to http://www.tinypic.com/.  Click the "browse" button to find a picture on your hard drive, from the "resize" drop-down box select either the 15" Screen or 17" Screen selections, then press the big green "Upload Now" button.

On the resulting screen, copy the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" and paste it into a post here.  Done.

As far as getting your machine up and running, don't worry -- we should be able to help you.  I think worst case if you replace the MPU board and the Motherboard your problems will be solved, but we can try just replacing the MPU board first.

I presume you've learned a valuable lesson here, and that is to not work on your machine with it plugged in!  Make sure the machine is off when removing or inserting circuit boards, and make sure the machine is unplugged if you're going to be poking around near the power supply.

slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »

knagl

Nice link for the pic resizing.

I will pass that along to some people that are a little computer photo challenged.
polybius
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »

Lets see if I made the pic smaller

Edited to reposition picture - KN
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:39:29 PM by knagl » Logged
polybius
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »

Ok, not sure how to put a lot on one post, but I have detailed photos. Which ones will be most helpful?

Edited to reposition picture - KN
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:38:04 PM by knagl » Logged
polybius
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »

Hmm...your power switch is on...the 3 black vertical fuses on the power supply - are they good?
Also, you're missing the ground wire on the hopper beau plug.
polybius
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »

Is this any better?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:21:07 PM by knagl » Logged
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »

the machine you have is a standard pre bill acceptor S+.  I would try and clear the machine before you try anything else. you won't need a set chip because you don't have a bill acceptor, so you really can't mess up anything else by trying.  Can you get the machine into the test mode ?? (door open, press white test button) You have a late version S+ board, you can tell by the diodes, yours are going east and west, the earlier version goes north and south.  Also make sure all the fuses are good!

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.