Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Burnt connection on S+
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burnt connection on S+  (Read 10403 times)
kibble
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 16

« on: September 06, 2010, 10:55:06 AM »

Why does this happen, is it just a bad connection or is something else going bad on my machine.
I replaced the molex connection this morning and all is working again but it still makes me wonder! Should I replace the pins that go into the molex also?
When i was playing on credits the leds on machine would just go out like it was resetting itself then i would get a 3100 error on the machine.
then just went out completely looked for hours late last night before looking here at NLG where i found the answer on where to look for the burnt connection.

* burnt.JPG (908.21 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 696 times.)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:50:36 AM »

It's a standard common issue covered many times, as you discovered.

If the Molex is damaged then replace it; otherwise you can just clean both the male and female contacts and you're good to go. propeller

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:02:53 PM »

That's common on pinballs too... the connections get a bit of oxidation on them and resistance builds up. This resistance causes heat which damages the spring tension of the contact and the plastic and it further contributes to the poor connection, resistance, and causes more heat. It's a cascade effect... Wink

If you don't replace the pin then at least make sure it's clean and shiny to help keep the problem away longer.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »

I agree with Statfreak and Channelmaniac... Me, too!
These Molex receptor pins inside the housing were very cheap.
They only made contact with two sides on the male pins.

There are better receptor pins called trifurcon pins.
These special receptor pins "grab" four sides of the square male pins.
I like to get mine at mouser.com.
kibble
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:36:13 PM »

Thanks for the info, I think i will buy some of these pins next time I place an order with mouser.

I am going to take my machine out to the garage and clean it and go over all of the wiring since I have it apart now

you all have a Happy and safe Labor Day.   waving flag  Frosty Beer
StatFreak

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »

Professor  Remember, don't drink and repair! bottles2 bottles2  drinking whiskey Plastered Buddies lightning bolt lightning bolt Burning Resistor
 Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

...or, "Drinking and repairing leads to more of both."  Tongue Out

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
kibble
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »

Professor  Remember, don't drink and repair! bottles2 bottles2  drinking whiskey Plastered Buddies lightning bolt lightning bolt Burning Resistor
 Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

...or, "Drinking and repairing leads to more of both."  Tongue Out
Frosty Beer and this  Steak are for after i'm done today
StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »

Frosty Beer and this  Steak are for after i'm done today

So you're playing for high "Steaks".  Crazy frying pan frying pan

garfield

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »

A member recently wrote to me asking where to get these "trifurcon" pins on the S+ motherboard's 6-pin Molex housing.
He had a burned up ground pin in the Molex connector which is fairly common
because the original OEM IGT pins were the cheap ones that only touch one side of the male header pins.

That particular Molex housing has the numbers "09-50" stamped molded by the #6 pin position
and the letters "MX" by the #1 pin location.
Upon further  Sherlock Smiley review, I realized that I earlier mistakenly posted that the the trifurcon pins grab 4 sides
of the upright mother header pins when in fact,  they only can possibly touch 3 sides of the male pins.
Makes sense as they're called "Trifurcon" pins - not "Quadfurcon" pins.... rotflmao
I apologize for my mistake... face in palm

Here are some links to the Trifurcon pin for the S+ Motherboard header Molex pins in question...>>>

http://www.molex.com/webdocs/datasheets/pdf/en-us/0008520113_CRIMP_TERMINALS.pdf

The 6-pin Molex 2139 series  .156 CL housings.
Not needed if the original housing isn't melted...just change out the pins really...>>>

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/009503061_sd.pdf

* Trifurcon female pin.png (170.22 KB, 482x288 - viewed 471 times.)
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »

I'm sure glad you clarified that Bunker. I been losing sleep over that not being a 4 sided
pin when I knew it was three.  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Just kidding!..................................... Thanks for setting us straight.  applause

Ron (r273)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

So, for my S plus collection, should I just check and clean (good contact cleaner or something else...see * below)  those original connectors as preventative maintenance? Would that keep them good for life if done once or twice or should I just replace them with the "better, tighter, females," so to speak?   rotflmao

* And this brings about another question. If those pins are filed or even lightly scrubbed, does this remove off any kind of protective coating, which then would actually cause more oxidation in the long run? This was on ongoing issue with EM machines that I couldn't seem to resolve either.  Scratch Head
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »

My opinion is "if it ain't broke...", but others might have a different opinion.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »

STS,
You have a valid point and I do agree with you.
I'd like to add that while using contact cleaner removes the oxidization, they put a chemical in it
that also protects the metal from further damage.
I'm not sure what it is but I think it's that stuff they use in automotive metal contacts
in the firewall between the engine and the dashboard?

Brushing or filing the male pins alone isn't a good idea if you don't add protection.
What about the female receptor pins?
How does one get inside one of those?
As an Ironworker for over 20 years, I don't recall any acetylene torch tip cleaners being square?

I also agree with knagl's opinion...>>>  "if it ain't broke..."  rotflmao
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »

Kevin/Mark  I guess there is two ways of looking at it. I have a couple of spare S+ mother boards that already have the mod done to them, just waiting for a S+ to come through the door. How long does it take to change out a S+ mother board, 5 minutes ?? 

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »

The Connectors in that housing can be released easily with a small screwdriver.
I have done it a couple times on my S+.
Which will allow a better cleaning and minor bending of the connectors so they make tighter contact with the pins on the motherboard.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
azgamingslots
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 9

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »

cleaning the connections is only a temporary fix, the problem comes back in a short time.

i think the heat weakens the strength of the metal, to fix, either the internal pin must be replaced or i usually cut off the plug, solder wires directly to motherboard.  tip: insert shrink tubing (to wires -to insulate) -must be done before soldering them on.  -since there is another plug on the power supply end, components can still be separated in the future.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.