Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:24:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  TOP THIS!!! Slot Topper Topic!
| | |-+  Top This! A thread about slot machine toppers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top This! A thread about slot machine toppers.  (Read 47213 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: September 16, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »

Questions/answers/pictures of Slot Machine toppers.

Originally posted 1/22/2008

If I had time to work on these non-stop neither of these projects would have taken more than a couple of days, but since my tinkering time is limited, these projects took closer to a couple of months.   arrow

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the results -- I just don't know what to do in my spare time now -- my long-term project is done!

Anyway, here are pictures (and a video of the ChamII+ meter) that I just added to my two slot machines.  I just got a hold of some window tint, so I'm going to be taking the meter out and adding a layer of tint in front of it -- other than that, though, they're done, and they look great!

Here's the video of the meter.  It's 1:15 in length, the first message starts at 0:20.  I re-did the programming to make the jackpot amount display longer between messages (after I took this video).
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ag94RWzZF2k" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ag94RWzZF2k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ag94RWzZF2k</a></a>

(The scrolling text may be hard to read in this video from my cell phone -- after, "Play Max Coins To Win...." it scrolls, "PROGRESSIVE JACKPOT!!!"  Then, "Use your CLUB KEVIN card to earn cash back and comps!!!")   rotflmao

The "Hot Hot Super Jackpot" topper for my WMS game came from Jim at Blueridge, and the Drew Carey topper came from Renee in Las Vegas.  I got the ChamII+ from a friend (he had it installed in his slant top that he got for a song, and was going to sell the machine -- he let me put a different game kit in and take the kit out that had the ChamII+ before he sold it).  I had to mount the ChamII+ meter in the display window, as it was designed for a Spectrum display.

There you have it.  Please post pictures of your topper(s) in this thread -- I'd love to see what others have!   yes

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:21:38 AM »

Originally posted 9/1/2008

Quote from: jettjockie
Do you have any problems with the amperage of those convertors exceeding the max amperage of the 110V outlet in the machine?

In my personal usage, no, I have not had any problems.  The LED's don't use anything -- the only possible area of concern would be the 24v for the fluorescent light, but I haven't experienced problems on either of my machines.  Edit: I just looked at the topper, and at least on mine, the fluorescent ballast only calls for 0.62 amps, so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Are you using the 110V ac service outlet in the bottom of the machine?

One machine yes, the other no (I also have a ChamII+ display and power supply in that topper, so I have a separate plug running just for the topper lights and the progressive meter).

Did you pack the convertors into the Topper, or did you put them in the cabinet?

In the cabinet, in the top box.  Here, have a picture:

I also used little bullet connectors that are detachable.  If I ever want/need to remove the topper, I can do so without cutting any wires, and be able to hook it back up again later.  I was able to do all of my wire work outside of the machine, and then just fed those wires through the machine when I was ready to install it, and then plugged in the connectors.

Can you tell me which wires are positive and nuetral. The topper wires are 1 orange, 1 red, and 2 black wires that have red stripes on them.

idesign had it -- orange is +25vdc, black with orange stripe is the negative for that.  Red is +13vdc, black with red stripe is its negative.

Did you use your old candlestick off of the machine, or how did you hook up the Topper?

One of each.  It's easier to use the original candle -- just add a length of wire if needed, and you can use the original candle harness in the top of the machine to connect it (and to be able to disconnect it without cutting wires, if you ever wanted to remove the topper).  You also don't have to fudge with figuring out wires with the new candle and splicing in connections.

If you want to use the candle that came with the topper, you'll have to trace the wires to make sure that you're hooking up the correct wires from the machine to the candle, and then change the bulbs out -- the voltage on the bulbs is different enough that the S2000 bulbs will only glow dimly when powered by a S+.

The light bulb that comes in the S+ candle is a #55.  That's 7v, 0.41a, 2.87w, with a Miniature Bayonet Base.
The light bulb in a S2000 candle is a #193.  That's 14v, 0.357a, 5w, with a Wedge Base.

Since the bases are different, you can't just take your S+ bulbs and put them in the S2000 candle.  I had some #555 light bulbs for my pinball machine.  I cheated and used those on the topper where I kept the S2000 candle.  The #555 is 6.3v, 0.25a, 1.58w, Wedge Base.  They're not quite the perfect replacement for the #55, but close enough for my usage.  They probably won't last quite as long, but again, it works for me.

Here's a video of the final product (click the "play" button to see it in action) :

<a href="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=8677607974289015711&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=true" target="_blank"><a href="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=8677607974289015711&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=true" target="_blank">http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=8677607974289015711&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=true</a></a>

Edit: I should mention, too, I'm pretty sure I'm using a 9vdc plug-in transformer for the LEDs.  When you measure it on the multimeter, it puts out a lot more than 9v (closer to 12-13), and it drives the lights just fine.  Using a 12vdc supply may be too much, especially since the LEDs barely require any power to run.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:30:16 AM »

Originally posted by r273 on 9/1/2008

And here is yet another way to light up a topper.  Two 12V adapters are wired together for the 25V light (24V works) and the other 12V is for the chase lights.

Flexpipe
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 154

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:32:49 PM »

Yes, they DO look great. I put a sugggestion in the box to have a space on NLG especially for the Slot Toppers. I like them alot, and love to see all the old and new styles.  I hope Joey puts a area on the board dedicated to these devices! Think it adds much to a ordinary game. Your Drew Carey with the Progressive is awsome, nice score. Thanks for sharing! applause

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration
westec1

Total Karma Storms: 36

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 03:44:47 AM »

Just a note

As mentioned earlier, the LED rings do not require very much voltage,

if you are going to use a small power adapter they are not very well regulated so stick to a 9 volt supply
and pay attention to the polarity of the power adapter in relation to the topper wiring
they are very easy to blow, been their done that Duh! Duh!

Wes

Wes propeller
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »

Yes, they DO look great. I put a sugggestion in the box to have a space on NLG especially for the Slot Toppers. I like them alot, and love to see all the old and new styles.  I hope Joey puts a area on the board dedicated to these devices! Think it adds much to a ordinary game. Your Drew Carey with the Progressive is awsome, nice score. Thanks for sharing! applause

Flexpipe,

I just saw this post and made a seperate area for it with all of the progressive stuff. I thought this may be a good location for it since it has a close relation to progressives as many toppers have meters a well. Let me know if you all think this is a good spot or not. K+ for the suggestion. Hopefully the TOPper Experts will show off things with good PICs and instructions and details. Also obviously show off pics only are welcome and encouraged!

I dare everyone to TOP THIS!!!!

CaptainHappy
NLG ADMIN

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
Flexpipe

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »

Thanks so much, CaptainHappy for allowing the space on the board for the Slot Toppers. I am sure lots of people have unique and rare toppers they would like to share with the board.  Alos tips on mounting, electrical hookup, and other tips will be posted as well. Thanks again! applause

westec1

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »

hears one of mine you don't see every day

* DSC01181.JPG (154.15 KB, 640x480 - viewed 493 times.)

Wes propeller
Thor777

Total Karma Storms: 415

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »

hears one of mine you don't see every day

Sweet...  I would love to have Toppers for my slots  yes

How do you guys come across these items  Scratch Head  (how do you afford them?)  Scratch Head

surely not on E-Bay  bust gut laughing

My CAT is smarter than your honor student  !!!
westec1

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »

I have 5 toppers most I got on flebay

The Monopoly Free Parking, a good buddy of mine gave it to me Hail

Wes

Wes propeller
Thor777

Total Karma Storms: 415

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »

OK...Made my own... applause

Question..Is this classified as a topper or just a homemade progressive sign?  Scratch Head  stir the pot / get cooking  bust gut laughing

* CCS_pro1.jpg (54.19 KB, 453x480 - viewed 545 times.)

My CAT is smarter than your honor student  !!!
westec1

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »

I would say it's both applause applause

Looks great!! yes yes

Wes

Wes propeller
tacman
NLG Document, Media Gallery and FAQ Writer

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »

This is the ultimate cool topper!!!!  yes yes yes  Some are saying this is for the pinball, but checking the back looks like it has a spot for a candle.

Dan (tacman)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_JNou1r9fVU&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_JNou1r9fVU&rel=0</a>

* c913_1.jpg (12.33 KB, 400x300 - viewed 481 times.)

westec1

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:02 PM »

I've seen those on the twilight slots in Vegas, their are actually two versions of this topper,

Wes

Wes propeller
Flexpipe

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 11:50:50 PM »

It is not for the Bally Pinball machine, it is specifically for the Twilight Zone Video Slot machine manufactured by IGT. I have this topper,  and is indeed, a really nice unit.  Has several animation programs, including individual letter illumination, wipes, led sequences, etc. Great topper, kind of rare to find one these days. Wish I could get the whole game with the top box, probably mortgage the house for a working version, lol.

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 04:14:48 AM »

Indeed, I just saw that on a TZ slot machine at the Four Queens in Downtown Las Vegas.

That said, some of the pin heads have been putting them on the top of their TZ pins.  A guy who owns a local arcade mounted (and powered) one on his machine -- it's a cool addition to the pinball machine.

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 02:22:06 AM »

Hello All !!

Just wanted to share my custom topper I just finished for my WMS Big Bang Piggy Bankin machine.  Total cost was $35 for after market topper on Ebay.  And around $75 for graphic artist time and film printing.  If any one is interested I can refer you to the company that can do a reprint for you.

* IMG_1316.JPG (1123.03 KB, 1177x2592 - viewed 564 times.)

* IMG_1317.JPG (2044.67 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 510 times.)

* IMG_1318.JPG (1798.74 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 515 times.)

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
westec1

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »

Looks very nice, thanks for the pic's

Wes

Wes propeller
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 02:03:23 AM »

That's awesome!  Is that film on top of plexiglas, or is it thick enough on its own.  That really looks great!

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 02:33:48 AM »

Thanks for the compliments guys. 

Pictures do not really do it justice as it's hard to see the Royal Purple color that really ties it all together matching the belly glass.  This particular topper uses a film insert behind a 1/8" thick piece of clear Plexiglass.  But this could be reprinted onto any size or shape you wanted from the company I used.  They have several "standard" sizes already on their computer and can print onto film or Plexiglass for you.  For example if you had a more commonly found IGT topper you wanted to use they could mod the graphic to fit and print onto a spec sized piece of oval Plexiglass. Worse case you could ship your old topper insert to them and they would build match if you have something unusual like I do.  Email me privately and I will give you the contact information.

Jim

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 01:04:54 AM »

I found some real cool toppers...couldn't afford them though Tongue Out
at slotstuff.com

* Fgallery2-3.jpg (14.92 KB, 352x264 - viewed 472 times.)

* Fgallery2-9.jpg (9.06 KB, 352x264 - viewed 471 times.)

* Fgallery2-7.jpg (11.68 KB, 352x264 - viewed 459 times.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:40:03 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 01:29:22 AM »

Nice find there.
I doubt I could afford them as well. guessing about $1000 to $5000 each.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 01:53:30 AM »

i sent an inquiry to them...lets see what they say stir the pot / get cooking
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 03:38:42 AM »

i sent an inquiry to them...lets see what they say stir the pot / get cooking

Hah! You ain't getting out of it that easy, SOB! rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

How much were they??? propeller Scratch Head stir the pot / get cooking

Thanks,
Bill
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 04:06:14 AM »

I don't think that he bought any. He would have had pictures posted all over the home game room thread months ago if he had. bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.