Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:18:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  Free Computer Cleanup Software...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free Computer Cleanup Software...  (Read 8914 times)
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:14 PM »

So...

Is your computer is running slower than it used to? Do you have random Internet Explorer (or other browser) crashes? Is your internet connection not as fast as it used to be? Maybe your computer has spyware or other infections or it pops up ads on it's own?

If you are annoyed by this or don't want to be a source for large amounts of herbal * SPAM then you should periodically scan your machine and clean it as necessary.

Here's a list of some very helpful ones:

Spyware scanners/cleaners:

Ad-Aware (This runs on-demand on my PC - love it!)
Microsoft Windows Defender (This runs as a system service on my PC - MS is to be applauded for not screwing this one up... yet... It's great!)
Spybot Search & Destroy

--------------------------------

Web-based Anti-virus scans:

Trend Micro Housecall (Works VERY well)
PC Pitstop (I haven't tried this one yet, YMMV)
CA's eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner (Haven't tried this one, but I have used their traditional AV software)

Free Anti-virus software:

Avira AntiVer Personal Edition (I haven't tried this one yet, YMMV)
AVG Personal Edition (This one runs on the Spousal Unit's PC - It's nice)
AOL Safety and Security Center (Requires you to get a free AOL email account) (I haven't tried this one yet, YMMV)

Many of the traditional Anti-virus vendors have "trial versions" you can download from their website. This way you can see if you like one before you buy it.

If you have a favorite that I forgot to mention, please add it to the thread!

Enjoy!

Raymond

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »

I use the web alot so I am very aware of spyware/virus issues.  The Adaware is great just keep it up to date...you should run this very often.  The spybot I'm not sure about...could be OK but some anti-spyware software actually contains spyware...I thought this was one of them maybe not.

You should also go to your start menu select run and put in msconfig hit OK.  If you are unfamiliar with the operating system I would suggest you only examine the stratup tab at the top (last tab on the right top).  A lot of times items will be added to your startup to start programs that you don't use (it can even be used to reload harmful items even after you have cleaned them).

One tool that is very powerful but can clean items that even Adawre can't is a free program called "hijackthis"...it's on the web and free for private use.  (BE CAREFUL...very powerful if you aren't sure what you are removing leave it until you find out what it is...google is your friend).

One of the most problematic spywares is called CoolWebSearch..it installs and re-installs itself over and over and is full of bad stuff.  The tool used to remove it is CWShredder and it is free for private use.  Adaware will sometimes detect and clean but the program will re-install itself unless you use the cwshredder tool.

That's all I have..good topic though.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »

Is it possible that Anti-virus makers also make the virus? Interesting thought (Job security)

Even using the best Anti-virus problems, it only takes one to destroy my day. Restoring my computer doesn’t take long as there are only 8 restore disk. But I’m there for 3 days installing all of my other programs. And getting it back to the way it was.

Not any more – I use Deep Freeze
I freeze my C drive – where all of my programs are, also the area most likely to be hit by a virus.

When I work with word – excel or any other program I save it to D drive.
E-mail that I want to keep I save to D drive.

When my computer is running slower than it used to, or hit by spy ware or other infections or it pops up ads
I just reboot – Have not had to restore my computers in over 1 Β½ years now. I love that program.

Even when the Kids get on – change this change that – REBOOT
Check it out – cost less then most of the anti-virus programs..

Deep Freeze and the all-new Deep Freeze Mac use a unique method of disk protection to preserve the exact original standard system configuration on over five million Windows and Macintosh computers worldwide!

Deep Freeze is the standard in bulletproof disk protection
Deep Freeze instantly protects and preserves baseline computer configurations. No matter what changes a user makes to a workstation, simply restart to eradicate all changes and reset the computer to its original state - right down to the last byte. Expensive computer assets are kept running at 100% capacity and technical support time is reduced or eliminated completely. The result is consistent trouble-free computing on a truly protected and parallel network, completely free of harmful viruses and unwanted programs.
While Deep Freeze provides bulletproof protection, its non-restrictive approach also improves user productivity and satisfaction. Placing no restrictions on a user's ability to access all system resources, users avoid the frustration of downtime due to software conflicts, operating system corruption, virus attacks, and many other problems. Users are always assured of computers that are consistently operable and available.

http://www.faronics.com/

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:54 PM »

Is it possible that Anti-virus makers also make the virus? Interesting thought (Job security)

No but there's been rumblings that they do PAY for the discovery of new viruses, so it's always a possibility.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:06 PM »

That deep freeze sounds cool I check that out.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:19 PM »

On a serious note many of the newer viruses do not exist until Microsoft releases their weekly patches. The release notes describe the vunerbility in some detail. The virus is then released in the wild and its a race between the virus writer and those who have not yet patched. Thankfully enough of the home users have hardware router/firewalls (ie linksys or dlink) and don't easily get infected. Adware and Spyware are often captured and mutated into Malware. The latter being a vehicle to get viruses and other nasties on to your platform.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:57 PM »

HAHAHAHA,

It's a big industry rumor and when I was in my CISSP bootcamp class there was a lady there from McAfee... I teased her about that and boy did she get upset!  rotflmao

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:59:11 PM »

Deep Freeze huh i will look into that. And spybot search and destroy is safe i use it on my computer and have used it for almost a year now never had a problem with it.

Joeylc_III
   Homicidal Ind.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:59:22 PM »

Deep Freeze huh i will look into that. And spybot search and destroy is safe i use it on my computer and have used it for almost a year now never had a problem with it.

Joeylc_III
   Homicidal Ind.

I use Spyboy as well, but I have found that Ad-Aware SE consistently finds more spyware. It has found lots of cookies, and a few trojan DLLs. I suggest getting it as well. Use both, and use Spybot's advanced settings to monitor your startup programs.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »

One of the issues is what is defined as spyware/adware vs legit software.

Norton has been repeatly sued by various companies for identifing their software as spyware.

Now make no mistakes a lot of it is still scummy spyware but as they get the users to ascent to a license agreement (and no one reads those in detail) they call themselves legit.

Adaware made by Lavasoft out of Sweden is a lot harder to sue since they are foreign.

I also like Adaware.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:59:49 PM »

Just make sure you get it from the REAL Lavasoft web site. There are imitators out there with a VERY similar name and they do nothing more than infect you with more spyware/adware.  hissy fit

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »

I just clicked on the link from the Ad-Aware software's upgrade link and here is the legitamate website:

http://www.lavasoft.de/

Note that there is NO .com ! ttth

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

I use Spybot as well, but I have found that Ad-Aware SE consistently finds more spyware. It has found lots of cookies, and a few trojan DLLs. I suggest getting it as well. Use both, and use Spybot's advanced settings to monitor your startup programs.

I will definatlly look into that and since i just set up my new computer i will keep up on it and see how it does....Thank you for your advice.

Joeylc_III
 Homicidal Ind.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »

great topic guys/gals since we all obviously have at least a little bit of the feared "computer geek" virus in us.  pun totally intended. arrow
i've been using spybot, adaware and AVG for 2+ years now and am very happy with all of them. propeller as has been previously mentioned if the databases are kept up to date they are quite effective.  i will admit to being a gay-o-l subscriber and am currently in the process of installing the aforementioned Safety and Security Center.  i will give a personal critique soon. stir the pot / get cooking

forgot to mention that i also run WinPatrol, it monitors from the systray and pops up a message box everytime it detects a new program installed on your system.  a little annoying when you install something you want, but it has caught some spyware also.  i got it from download.com:

http://www.download.com/WinPatrol/3000-8022_4-10592461.html?tag=lst-0-1

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

I'm an IT guy and responsible for over 35 offices and almost 400 pc's.

I recommend the TrendMicro - Housecall 

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

and

Ewido

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

I've heard of that WinPatrol giving false positives...

The key here is to NEVER pay for a product that finds stuff but won't remove them without "paying the hostage fees".  It's too "hinky" for me...

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »

I second the recommendation for Housecall for home or small business use.

Corporately I still think Norton is good on the desktop because of the central AV console it gives you but on a home PC it sucks the life out of the system and gets into everything.
You cannot rely on user policy to get your endusers to report quarintined viruses.

I do however advocate the use of a mutal fund approach.

I use a Store and Forward service that scans the email with Sophos before it gets to the shop. We also have a SPAM removal tool here.
Secondly we use the Trend Exchange tool on our SMTP gateway.
I use Trend on the servers.
Norton on the desktop.
We also have Mcafee setup on a couple of PCs (we call them bots) and they do nightly scans of server drives in addition to the active scanning done at the servers themselves.

In the past I have used some Intrusion Detection software but I find the maint effort and the high number of false positives a waste of resources.
I have since strategically setup some standalone PCs with ZoneAlarm - these PCs treat any process that trys to talk to them as Hostile and sends our Help Desk Alerts.
$35/each + the use of a outdated PC. This has captured more malware, internal users running hacking software than any expensive tool I could throw at it.
The real danger is the guys who travel with their laptop and then connect up to the corporate environment (or worse - let their kids use it). They carry in all sorts of garbage.

On a 5K user base: Statistically speaking we stop 400 inbound viruses at the S&F level daily. We stop 100 inbound monthly at the SMTP gateway, We stop 300 monthly at the desktop, 30 at the server. The Zonealarm catches about 20 monthly. Despite all this what is really scarry is that we catch about 3 outbound anually that have not been flagged before hand.

I am not popular with the HR folks for suggesting that one way to lower the number of on-the road viruses is to allow (and enourage ?) the expensing of Hotel TV *. Everyone in accounting knows the 18.95 movie without a title (expensed or not) is *.  The hedge is to use the PC to surf the nasty when away from the corporate big-brother. They then try and clean up (browser cache, cookies) etc but the traces and dropper files from the viruses still remain. The other alternative is to publish a list of "safe" * sites in the favoraites folder. That suggestion received an even cooler reception.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »

Much the same approach I use.  Store and forward spam/virus/phishing filter.  I have several "guinea Pig" virtual machines running and two machines capturing packets for analysis.  This has pretty much nabbed the 99% of the problems.  My problem as well are the traveling ones when they hook up to unknown networks.  I have not gone as far as suggesting the * thing, but that might not be a bad idea, though I have a feeling it's going to get the thumbs down.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:19 PM »

I did a root casue analysis approach....and had suggested a few ways to combat the problem. It didn't stop the jaws dropping.

I called it the cheap and dirty solution....

The HR solution was to install a 100K worth of NetNanny and BigBrother software on the PC that doesn't stop the problem but it rats them out big time. I guess it saves on having to pay pensions.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »

we pass access through a squid proxy then analyze logs looking for keywords.  More than a few dozen people have been relieved of their duties due to their on-line habits after they were warned 3 times not to do it.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »

In house we developed our own, worked the same way by reviewing Proxy Logs.

We sent auto-Letters with the forth one going to the employee and his Boss, and the fifth going to Employee, Leader and HR.  Most never got past the first letter
It was actually more work to mine SAP to find out who the leader was than to mine the proxy for naughty words.

When people were out of office we didn't do the proxy thing until the activated the corporate VPN so they mostly got away with it.

Keep it simple!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com ™    Newlifegames.net ™    Newlifegames.org ™
   New Life Games ™    NewLifeGames ™  NLG ™ We Bring new Life to old Games ™    1-888-NLG-SLOTS ™
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.