Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT PE and PE Plus Poker Games.
| | |-+  PE Plus Upright CMOS Error
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PE Plus Upright CMOS Error  (Read 10203 times)
Mikalnm
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:44:49 AM »

Hello All,
I need some help here.
I have a 1996 PE Plus Upright Multi Poker Machine with the Imbedded Bill Acceptor that was working great until I attempted to install a Keno Interface Board and light Pen.  I will get back to my issue with that in another post.  Now I just want to get my machine up and running again. I have the call attendant CMOS error.  I have tried the self test button, the ram clear chip, swapping to my spare board, turning the jackpot reset key, and tonight replaced the motherboard thinking that the EEPROM CMOS on the Motherboard was fried.  I still get the same error.  Something strange is up with the Ram Clear program.  I have used it before and it instructs user to press the self test switch.  I do that but nothing happens.  NO DiNG, No change in the Screen at all.  I guess it could be a bad self test switch? Or ANY SUGGESTIONS?  Is there an easy jumper to simulate pressing the self test switch?  Am I even on the right track?
Thanks for help!
Michael

Here is a photo of the error and new motherboard I installed.  Let me know if you need more photos.

Here is another bit of information that may help.  Before the Cmos Data Message came up. A message about a coin in time out was displayed.  I found that strange as I had not used any coins.

* 030909 060.jpg (207.3 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 291 times.)

* 030909 067.jpg (210.19 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 348 times.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:34:01 PM by Mikalnm » Logged
theDotster
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 219

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:07:43 AM »

When you press the self test button, I think you have to press it for 3 seconds until you hear the ding. Have you tried that?

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my machines for how much I told her they cost.
Mikalnm
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:10:01 AM »

Yes, I have held it in no dings no change in screen.
Thanks
theDotster

Total Karma Storms: 219

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:20:32 AM »

OK, you don't mention the jackpot reset key, have you got one and turned that?

Apologies if you already have, I'm just starting on basics before the big guns jump in :-)

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my machines for how much I told her they cost.
Mikalnm
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:38:05 AM »

Hello Again, Yes I have tried the jackpot reset key.  I should have mentioned that in my original post.  Thanks
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 12:33:18 PM »

Mike    in your efforts to install the keno pen what was involved?  are you sure you didn't leave something undone during that process.  You might try to turn power off and while holding the self test button in, apply power and see if this will clear the error.

Jim

PS.  you might go down the page and read the topic  keno light pen    has alot of the same issues!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:48:43 PM by Jim » Logged

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
Mikalnm
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »

Hello Jim, Yes I have tried to power up with the self test engaged.  I don't have the harness to connect the Keno Interface board to my machine.  I made one using the wrong diagram (from a slant top) by mistake.  That is what started all of this.  Now I have my original superboard installed with the multi poker eproms, no new keno parts at all, but I cant get past the first call attendant cmos error screen.  It acts like the self test switch is inoperative.  Please help me.  What do I try next?
Michael
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

513-984-2201

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »

I have heard of people removing the cmos chip and grounding out the pins, I have never tried that or don't know how to do that.  Scratch Head Scratch Head

at this point I have no other  suggestions ,

With your spare board doing the same thing it would point to the  chips being corrupt???  Did you try the spare board when you had the bad cable in place??

why do you think that there is a difference between pinouts from the slanttop versus the upright??

I think the main cpu logic boards are interchangeable  , the motherboards may have different layouts, and the plugs may have different numbers, but I think all the inputs and outputs   would have to be the same because the boards are the same???

I'll check my schematics for the slanttop and see what damage could have been done by mis wiring the pen input, do you recall how you configured the plug?

Jim
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:27:48 PM by Jim » Logged

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

If you have a spare board or a different poker chipset, I'd suggest trying that.

Is your error "CMOS DATA" or something else?  Please let us know the exact text of the error message on the screen.

Make sure the bill validator stacker can is firmly in place and that the validator door is closed completely.  Turn on the machine, at the error, press and hold the self test button for a good five seconds (even if you don't hear the ding).  Close the door completely (make sure the latch is all the way down), and then turn the reset key.

If you're still not getting anywhere, as Jim posted I've heard of people removing the CMOS chip from the board and placing it on some metal that conducts so that all the pins touch the metal, then re-inserting it.  Best of luck.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:35:04 PM »

You probably need a IVC 006 Clear Chip

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
Mikalnm
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:28 AM »

If you have a spare board or a different poker chipset, I'd suggest trying that.

Is your error "CMOS DATA" or something else?  Please let us know the exact text of the error message on the screen.

Make sure the bill validator stacker can is firmly in place and that the validator door is closed completely.  Turn on the machine, at the error, press and hold the self test button for a good five seconds (even if you don't hear the ding).  Close the door completely (make sure the latch is all the way down), and then turn the reset key.

If you're still not getting anywhere, as Jim posted I've heard of people removing the CMOS chip from the board and placing it on some metal that conducts so that all the pins touch the metal, then re-inserting it.  Best of luck.
  I replaced the motherboard and still have the message.  If it was a bad CMOS chip, wouldnt that take care of this step?  Thanks Michael
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

513-984-2201

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 02:05:29 AM »

No it wouldn't    the cmos chip is on the main logic board, the eeprom is on the motherboard.

Mikalnm
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 02:09:28 AM »

No it wouldn't    the cmos chip is on the main logic board, the eeprom is on the motherboard.
Well now we are getting somewhere.  Thanks, is it the chip marked RAM on a superboard?

* 030909 062.jpg (214.5 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 320 times.)
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

513-984-2201

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 02:15:29 AM »

U-65

Mikalnm
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 02:35:59 AM »

U-65
  Pulled out U65, grounded all legs, replaced and still get the same message with no response from self test.  Is it possible that the self test switch is bad?
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

513-984-2201

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 03:08:33 AM »

the self test button puts a ground on the rp3 pin #7  it allows the device U1A (ILQ1) pins 1 and 2 to change output pins 15  and 16..

should be able to measure 8 to 10 vdc across the two leads of the self test buttom, when pressed it should go to zero.    the voltage to operate this is +vb  measured across D-3  maybe you took this out when mis wire pen input??

Jim

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »

If you're getting the door open message even when the door is closed (as you mentioned in a PM to me), something bigger is afoot.  As Jim (blueridge) suggested, a RAM clear at this point might not be a bad idea.  Do you have a clear chip?

Next thing to check would be to make sure that the door optics and bill validator door wiring is all hooked up correctly and that your bill validator door is firmly closed and that the cherry switch is working.  No matter what CMOS or other error is on the screen, the door open message should go away when the door is closed.  If it doesn't, you'll have to get past that to get the game to work (even if the self test button is working).  I'd focus your efforts there right now before worrying about the self test switch -- the problems may be related, but the door issue will provide you with some visual confirmation (the "door open" message will vanish) when you get it resolved.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Mikalnm
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »

Hello all,  I purchased my ram clear chip on E-bay.  I have previously used it with success.  27c256b.  Is there another chip to use for the CMOS Ram on the processor board?

* 030909 068.jpg (208.97 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 314 times.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:38:52 PM by Mikalnm » Logged
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:16:04 PM »

That is the message the IVC106 should display, I would trace the button circuit out, possibly where you plug into the motherboard connections as it seems the problem started when you changed out or tried to add the Keno stuff or new motherboard

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
Mikalnm
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 03:59:56 AM »

Success !!  Up and Working Great!!  I learned a great lesson about checking fuses.  NEVER DO IT VISUALLY.   Thanks for everyones help!!
Michael
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 04:08:51 AM »

I've always checked fuses visually, found may a bad one that way. yes

But, I've also learned that, while I can identify a bad fuse by looking at it, I can't identify a good fuse with anything other than a meter. Duh! Duh! Duh! rotflmao rotflmao

Glad you got it working!

Thanks,
Bill
Rep
Mr. 5 of a kind

Total Karma Storms: 18

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »

A good lesson to be learned, I learned it MANY times at work. Dealt with a lot of electronics and a meter is the only way to be 100% sure it's good or bad. Glad you're back up and running!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.