Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Pinball Games
| | |-+  1973 Gottlieb's "High Hand". Not working
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1973 Gottlieb's "High Hand". Not working  (Read 41316 times)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 311

« on: January 06, 2010, 04:49:40 AM »

Well,it finally quit working  hissy fit . I had this game for about 15yrs and the only thing as far as repairs was a contact sticking or burnt bulb ,so guess I'm lucky. As of now,the only thing that powers up is the backboard lights  Help. So reading Clay's write up on the repair guide  bust gut laughing...half of the words I dont even know  frying pan.

So,as soon as I grab my volt meter and get some readings I think I'm gonna need some help.
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:48 AM »

Well,it finally quit working  hissy fit . I had this game for about 15yrs and the only thing as far as repairs was a contact sticking or burnt bulb ,so guess I'm lucky. As of now,the only thing that powers up is the backboard lights  Help. So reading Clay's write up on the repair guide  bust gut laughing...half of the words I dont even know  frying pan.

So,as soon as I grab my volt meter and get some readings I think I'm gonna need some help.
Check the fuse and holder for the 25 or 50 volts used for the relays and scoring motor......

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

check slam tilt on front door  theres nothing you can,t fix on em pin,s or slot,s
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »

Betcha the power supply pin molexes are shot...
Maybe it's time for new receptor pins?
Jiggle the molexes around a bit and see if your game boots up?
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »

Theres  no power supply  back   then transformer only
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »

oh okay...thanks for pointing that out steve... yes
mine's too modern perhaps...   LOL
I have a 1979 Stern Stars.

Anyways, with randy's machine -
I'm suspecting some type of dirty wire contacts somewhere in there...
perhaps a blown capacitor?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:01:42 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:04:17 PM »

Thanks for the help guys. Just found my meter  hissy fit (only have 4!!!) Be back soon...
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »

Blown capacitor? These old EM machines are AC relays.there is no power supply

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
mkd3b
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »

Check the contacts fot the start sequence relay all the tilt relays and even the contacts for the start button and also where the pinball drops in the bottom up to the plunger.  Also woulndnt hurt to manipulate all the contacts on thwe relay banks.  After of course all fuses have been checked.    Good luck  Oh dont ya luv it when they just stop working for no reason at all.  Gives ya something to do.  Long live the EMs  Gotta love em  frying pan

ArtD
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »

If he has no relays or solonoid action its the 24 or 50 volts from the transformer.They are known for bad fuseholders.the pwr transformer has only 2 windings,lighting (6 volt) and 24 or 50 for the rest of ityou can advance the score motor by hand and see if it starts for one cycle.I used to work on EM pins WAY back when...

Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »

Ok,a few questions....On the transformer I have the 110 at the bottom,but nothing at the top. In the second piicture you can see the relay/switch that has "reset" wrote on the board. If I press that the lights on the playfield come on. It has a slow blo fuse in the back which shows 110 but the three fuses in the front are getting nothing

* 102_9645.JPG (517.23 KB, 1552x1164 - viewed 305 times.)

* 102_9643.JPG (489.61 KB, 1164x1552 - viewed 328 times.)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »

I really dont see how I can advance the score  no

* 102_9651.JPG (573.59 KB, 1552x1164 - viewed 318 times.)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »

Betcha the power supply pin molexes are shot...
Maybe it's time for new receptor pins?
Jiggle the molexes around a bit and see if your game boots up?

Is this what your talking about? Back right

* 102_9648.JPG (471.73 KB, 1552x1164 - viewed 313 times.)
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »

The relays under the reels do the score but if your not in game mode they may not work
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »

I did try moving them,nothing
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »

try  turning the score motor under playfd it should run when you turn it by hand
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 10:31:22 PM »

Thanks for the replies Steve. Are you talking about the wheel above in the pictures or the other wheel ? The one above I can not move ,the other one  I can spin(the one with all the cvontacts),but nothing happens
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 10:45:54 PM »

Oh,one other thing. The Tilt is lit up and I know before when it would tilt out the playfield would also go out until you played a credit
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »

In the second piicture you can see the relay/switch that has "reset" wrote on the board. If I press that the lights on the playfield come on.

Oh,one other thing. The Tilt is lit up and I know before when it would tilt out the playfield would also go out until you played a credit

Okay, I'm not pinball guy and don't know anything about this game, but if the playfield normally goes out when the machine is in tilt mode and the tilt light is lit, and the playfield lights up when you press the reset (and presumably goes out when you let go), then it sounds to me like you have a short in your tilt circuit. Something is keeping the game in a tilt condition at all times.

Just an observation from reading the thread. propeller

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »

Lets try this again, typed up a in detail directive..and the system lost it....

I used to work on Gottlieb Wedgeheads, 2 and 4 player EM's as well as their electronic machines (Electronic horriblious)
OK....First off you MUST have the 50 volts AC for the relays. I HIGHLY suspect those fuses and holders! TRUST NOTHING! check the fuses and holders with a Ohm meter. Check the transformer output winding with the Ohm meter, then measure it on * AC * with power on the transformer.
You KNOW the primary is working as you have 6 volts AC for the general illumination! comes from the same transformer!
I have NEVER seen the 50 volt transformer fail...EVER! they are bulletproof.When you can measure 50 volts between the common on the transformer and the 50 volt fuseholders then the machine will run or you can troubleshoot it.
Place my bet on the fuseholders/fuses....

Kirk

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »

In the second piicture you can see the relay/switch that has "reset" wrote on the board. If I press that the lights on the playfield come on.

Okay, I'm not pinball guy and don't know anything about this game, but if the playfield normally goes out when the machine is in tilt mode and the tilt light is lit, and the playfield lights up when you press the reset (and presumably goes out when you let go), then it sounds to me like you have a short in your tilt circuit. Something is keeping the game in a tilt condition at all times.

Wrong...absolutely wrong. The "tilt" is lit due to the Tilt relay relaxed. The "Tilt" light stays on until this relay pulls in..and it cant without the 50 volts...
That circuit is doing what its supposed to do....

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »

Wrong...absolutely wrong. The "tilt" is lit due to the Tilt relay relaxed. The "Tilt" light stays on until this relay pulls in..and it cant without the 50 volts...
That circuit is doing what its supposed to do....

Hail Hail Hail  K+ Kirk

I try to be wrong at least once a day; I have never failed yet. yes
Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »

I agree with Kirk, no sense moving forward until you know if you have the correct voltages. According to your picture the 115vac comes into the bottom of the transformer, the two voltages come off the top. if the solid black wires in the middle are the center tap, then you should be able to measure the 6vac general illumination from the solid black and the black with white tracer. If that voltage is ok then measure from the solid black to the red wire and you should read 50vac. If you have the voltage there then just physically trace the red wire to its fuse block or distribution point. keep your meterlead on the center tap and follow the 50vac until you lose it and then see why it went away.

Jim  

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »

Thanks for the help Kirk, In the picture of the transformer I have two connections at the bottom(which were the 110V) and three at the top and two whites on the backside...which ones should have the 50V? And when you say ohm out the fuses,I assume you mean the three in the front,right? Only other fuse I see is one near the transformer.

* 102_9639.JPG (581.69 KB, 1552x1164 - viewed 309 times.)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:59 AM »

Ok,ignore the above  Tongue Out. Thanks Jim.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.