Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  IGT S-plus Repair Difficulty / Chip Sets?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT S-plus Repair Difficulty / Chip Sets?  (Read 19966 times)
AllyRaisin
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:04:42 AM »

Hi there.

I was just wondering in general how difficult it is to repair a S-plus slot machine. I have a degree in computers and electronics, I know how to solder, test voltages , etc. and so my uncle asked me to help him with his machine.

My cousin unplugged the machine before they left for vacation and it hasn't been working since. I believe my uncle spoke with someone who stated the battery now had to be changed out and that seems to be simple enough from what I have read. What I am unsure about is that if I have to use a chip after I install the battery and then which one. I read in another thread that I should not use a clear chip but am unsure of the other choices.

Any help would be wonderful. This is my favorite uncle and I would love to get his machine up and running again. Thanks! :)
CommTech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »

Welcome to NLG AllyRaisin.  wave

Replacing the CMOS battery in an S Plus machine is very easy with basic soldering skills.  You will not need any additional set chips due to a dead battery. 
If you see an 12 code on the LED display, you will know that the CMOS battery on the MPU board is in need of replacement.

Here is a link that may be helpful in locating the battery ...

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=18671.0

Let us know how you make out.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

AllyRaisin  NLG Welcome

Before you start on the battery change please why don't we trouble shoot your Uncle's machine. A couple of pictures of the machine one with the door closed and one with it open will help a lot. And please tell us what it's doing or not doing. One of our S+ experts will jump in here and get it going for you. ( I'm not one of them )

By unplugging the machine your Cousin did the right thing, machine plugged in / lightling strike /  Burning Resistor   ( machine does not charge the battery, and unplugging does not draw from the battery )

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
AllyRaisin
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »

Hi there! I'm back!! Thanks so much for all the advice! Smiley

I was able to change out the old battery with a new one successfully. The problem now is that the machine is showing a "61" error code.

I read in the forum (and tried this) to hold the reset switch till 61_1 comes up and the machine dings. I turned the key and it reset back to "61".

I read that I shouldn't get a clear chip so where to I go from here? Is there a different chip I should get?

I would upload a picture but my uncle was uncomfortable with that. But it's a red, white and blue? Machine.

Any advice would be wonderful. I'm trying to read everything you guys put up on the forum but there's a lot of information. Smiley
leapyearguy
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »

when you get the 61-1 close the door before you turn the reset switch. Any set or clear is going to produce the 61 code. You have to master this procedure before you can procede.

20 bucks for simple repairs, 30 if you watch, and 50 if you open your mouth.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »

I use to have a favorite Uncle, his name was SAM,  OL Uncle SAM, few years back they changed his name to Uncle Leeroy things are just not the same anymore !!   stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking

AllyRaisin  Sounds like you did everything like the text books says. Well you did miss one small step, when you see 61-1  close the main door and then turn the key.

AllyRaisin
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »

Oops! My bad. I did close the door completely and turn the key. I was at my uncle's typing that on my phone and I cut a corner. I held the reset button, machine dinged and 61-1 came up. I shut the door completely and turned the key. It just looped back to 61.

Sorry about not being entirely clear. Smiley
MikeCamp
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 34

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:34:18 AM »

I had this issue yesterday and turns out the bill validator door switch was not activating so it put me in a loop with 61 and 61_1.  I tied the two wires from the bill validator switch together, went thru the process and my machine is working flawlessly.  The switch was still in the correct place behind the door for the cash can but the little arm and roller had broken off. 

-Mike
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 01:56:52 AM »

Mike-  In the thread you previously posted in, you said that your machine had the symptom that it was stuck on 61-1 (which would make sense with an open door, or broken cash can switch).

The "61 loop" issue has been a fairly common one that we've run across after battery changes, and the difference is that once you get to 61-1, it "loops" back to 61 after a pregnant pause.  With that, it seems that you need a clear chip to get past it.

It couldn't hurt to check the cash can switch, but I'd say that it's a good chance that a clear chip is needed here.

You can purchase a clear chip from many of the vendors who frequent the site.  The easiest way is to post a "WTB" (Want To Buy) post in the classifieds section of the site.

If your machine has a bill validator, you'll also want a SET chip, which is needed to reactivate the validator after a clear.  The set of both chips shouldn't cost more than about $20 total.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
AllyRaisin
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 02:02:58 AM »

Hi Mike. Thanks! I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if that works. Cheesy

Hi knagl.

I thought I may need a clear chip but a lot of the people on the forum said not to use it unless it was a last result. I wanted to check before I decided there was nothing else to try. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Cheesy

I'm still going to ask though... Is there anything else that I should look into or try that anyone can think of?

I'm currently out of the job but I have a degree in electronics and biomedical engineering (medical equipment) so I'm not a complete newbie. Smiley Just with slot machines. This is my project to pass the time. I just fixed a tv today with zero previous knowledge so anything you guys can think of I'll try.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:09:19 AM by AllyRaisin » Logged
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »

The clear chip is a "last resort" option on the S+, but this particular issue is indeed one of the rare times you need it. Use the search button at the top the page to search for "61 loop" for more discussion on the issue.

If you have a way to zero out the EEPROM on the motherboard (the fixed board in the machine that the removable MPU board plugs into), that would also work instead of using a clear chip.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
AllyRaisin
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »

So what exactly do I put I want to buy in the classifieds? Clear/set chip for igt s+?
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:13 PM »

Kevin  Tell me what he needs and I'll see if I have a extra set. 

AllyRaisin
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »

I need a clear chip and a set chip.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 12:00:40 AM »

That's like saying " I need a wrench "  What size do you need.  All BS aside pull your MPU and post the SS ( game ) and SS ( reel ) chip numbers.  those numbers will determin which clear and set chips you need.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »

That's like saying " I need a wrench "  What size do you need.  All BS aside pull your MPU and post the SS ( game ) and SS ( reel ) chip numbers.  those numbers will determin which clear and set chips you need.

Slight correction to Buzz's post above...>>>

The Game chip installed on your MPU board will have the first two letters marked as "SP" with some numbers after it.

The Reel chip will be marked as "SS" - also with some numbers after it.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 12:17:13 AM »

Bunker I just drove 6300 miles in 8 days, you don't really expect me to get thing exactly right. ( SS / SP  hell I was close !! )     Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me!

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »

Bunker I just drove 6300 miles in 8 days, you don't really expect me to get thing exactly right. ( SS / SP  hell I was close !! )     Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me!

haha! That's okay Buzz!
We're only human!

Believe me...I've made tons of mistakes here on NLG!!!!  bust gut laughing
AllyRaisin
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 12:59:58 AM »

Okay. I can try and get to my uncles tomorrow and get that information.

Thanks!! Smiley
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 01:10:03 AM »

I don't think we even know what game is installed in uncles machine.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »

He said it's a RWB in Reply #3 but there's several brothers, sisters, and cousins in that family.  Crazy
turniphead

Total Karma Storms: 45

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »

I use to have a favorite Uncle, his name was SAM,  OL Uncle SAM, few years back they changed his name to Uncle Leeroy things are just not the same anymore !!   stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking

Classic......
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »

a simple set15 and IVc123 will do all that he needs...Provide me with an address and I will send you a set free with instructions, refund postage if they fix your problem... propeller
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 02:01:44 AM »

Thanks Tim  I've gotta go trailer trucken tomorrow night and don't know when I'll be back.

AllyRaisin
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 11:02:04 PM »

Thank you so much for the chips. Smiley

I installed the lVc123 chip but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The machine did something but it was so fast that I can't tell you what it was. And now nothing.

Could the battery be dead?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.