Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:35:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Universal Reel/Video Games. (Moderator: uniman)
| | |-+  Wake the dead
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wake the dead  (Read 3237 times)
dsilver
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:14:30 AM »

I just got a Universal Slot. Magnificent 7s.
I thought it might be fun to see if it can be revived?
All the lights come on but little other action.
Some odd incrementing of counters but not much else.
No output on the LED displays.
Does anyone have schematics or a manual for this?
Is there a decent source for parts?
uniman
Topic Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »

Sounds like a power supply issue.
First thing is to check your power source and the slot power cord. Where the cord enters the machine at the bottom of the machine it can get pinched.
After power source and cord are checked out then check the power supply.
This thread can help;  http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=177.0

#1 suspect is the power supply noise filter as they often fail. Not needed for home use it can be bypassed.
dsilver
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:47:12 AM »

Thanks!!
I got a bit impatient so I went old school.
I reseated everything and cleaned up the contacts on the back of the main board.
Not much change but I was reading your other posts and it gave me enough to hunt.
The PSU guess was right on.
It looks like the issue was two fold. One was the 5Vdc was not getting to the Main Board. Gave the pink wire from the PSU some encouragement.
Once this was fixed, I lost a daughter card on the Main board. So bummed... Tough to push the smoke back into the ICs..!?!
Ready to send it back to CL.

It looked like it was a hack addition to drive who knows what, so I removed it and....

She came back to life. Everything seems to work.
Must be living right?

What is the function of the Solenoid that stops the coins from exiting the hopper?
Mine is jammed so I opened it up to let the machine release the coins to address the error codes I was posting.
As we sit I seem to have a working slot?

Your forum is awesome!!
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »

Thanks!!
I got a bit impatient so I went old school.
I reseated everything and cleaned up the contacts on the back of the main board.
Not much change but I was reading your other posts and it gave me enough to hunt.
The PSU guess was right on.
It looks like the issue was two fold. One was the 5Vdc was not getting to the Main Board. Gave the pink wire from the PSU some encouragement.
Once this was fixed, I lost a daughter card on the Main board. So bummed... Tough to push the smoke back into the ICs..!?!
Ready to send it back to CL.

It looked like it was a hack addition to drive who knows what, so I removed it and....

She came back to life. Everything seems to work.
Must be living right?

What is the function of the Solenoid that stops the coins from exiting the hopper?
Mine is jammed so I opened it up to let the machine release the coins to address the error codes I was posting.
As we sit I seem to have a working slot?

Your forum is awesome!!
There are two daughter boards normally found on the main board. One is for progressive signal output and the other, located at location 1A is for credit limit, hopper function, etc.
What daughter board let out the smoke? Should have a number on it. Did it have dip switches?
The solenoid on the hopper drives a coin diverter. When the proper number of coins is dispensed the solenoid shoves the diverter in the way of exiting coins and prevents extra coins from getting out.
dsilver
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:53:02 PM »

The daughter board had a 6 pin connection in and 2 pins out. The output was blue and black and was not connected to anything. The input seemed to be hacked into the Main board. It was mounted on some tall standoffs on one side of the board. Not sure what it was once connected to? It has 3 ICs, 3 caps, etc. It is about 2 x 2.5. On the back side it has EMA printed on the top and ST8116CTB2 on the bottom.

After playing with this a bit, I think the sticking solenoid is supposed to stop the flow of coins from the hopper as I keep posting a "31" after payout. I am going to try to repair the hopper and see if I can get this going 100%. Seems like it is really close.

If you know what the board might have done I may feel a bit better, or worse, about making the machine more "efficient"?

My son is having a blast playing with the slot! Thanks!
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:34:05 AM »

dsilver,
Take a look at this thread; http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=6714.0

Do you have a daughter board located at position 1A ?

Does your board have an 8-dip switch or 4-dip switch at location 7D ?

A picture of your board would help.

I'm suspecting your hopper is ok and you are missing the daughter board needed for proper hopper operation.

I'll have to lookup that part #ST8116CTB2, not sure right now what that is? How about a pic of that too.

Uniman
dsilver
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:12:56 AM »

I did fix the sticking solenoid at the hopper exit and now we get the correct count and no more "31" s!
Ready for the kids!

Here are a couple pictures of the board that went.

Thanks for your help!

* IMG00167-20111111-2202.jpg (292.25 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 193 times.)

* IMG00168-20111111-2202.jpg (211.53 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 210 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.