Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 04:14:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  Ethernet Extenders Cat5 run over 375 ft.. ??
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ethernet Extenders Cat5 run over 375 ft.. ??  (Read 20606 times)
racergiant
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 105

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »

The county trenched the street for Joey?

In the famous words of Darth Vader - "The force is stong with this one"    Hail   Hail
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »

Joey is death on wireless.  Don't TAZE me Bro! Don't TAZE me Bro! he doesn't even want it in the house or the shop.

Plus, there's already a cable run from the shop to the house and they had the County come out and trench the street for it.  Tongue Out rotflmao bust gut laughing Cry Laughing bust gut laughing rotflmao  Tongue Out

Bill I'm pretty sure the County Crew didn't trench it, only a saw cut was needed. They damn near didn't get the cut wide enough for the wire. It's really hard to get good help now days. But their employee pool is slim pickins in Bullhead, only a idiot would want to live in that HEAT.   Crazy Crazy stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 07:43:20 PM »

I thought somebody's nickname was "County".  Didn't the work crew come from California? Scratch Head

Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Thanks,
Bill
Joeylc
Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 287

KG7NLG

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »

"BUZZ'S QUOTE"  But their employee pool is slim pickins in Bullhead, only a idiot would want to live in that HEAT.

Walter on Arizona weather
we love it here
  hissy fit frying pan hissy fit frying pan hissy fit frying pan hissy fit frying pan
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/t87KOwzHYvA&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/t87KOwzHYvA&rel=0</a>&
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/62ib2EmvE9s&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/62ib2EmvE9s&rel=0</a>

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »

I thought somebody's nickname was "County".  Didn't the work crew come from California? Scratch Head

Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Naa  It as a loco crew that did it. The guy doing the sawing said he was originally from Kentucky, I don't think he's real bright.  no no ttth ttth

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
danw
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 01:14:42 AM »

In my line of business, I have to do crazy runs like this all the time.  Can I ask a few questions that dont seem to have been asked?
How long is the actual distance from one building to the other following the actual cable path?
Was the cable run in a conduit pipe?
Did you use Cat5, Cat 5e, or Cat6 wire?
Was the wire outdoor rated?
Did you install lightning arrestors?

Here is why I ask...
If the buildings are less than 300' apart, or close to 300', put a switch on each end as close together as possible.  The switch will read the signal and re-broadcast it to the next device.  You are theoretically allowed a maximum of five devices from point to point...  (ie. Computer-switch-switch-switch-router)  I've seen it work with more, but opens up too many possibilities of failure.

If the cable was run in conduit pipe, you can easily pull through a better cable.  The difference in categories of cable is how tightly the wires are twisted.  The tighter the twist, the lower the attenuation loss.  If you pulled 5, or 5e, pull it out and run Cat6. 

If you didnt use a conduit, I hope you used outdoor rated cable.  Normal cable doesnt have any real shielding qualities to it and will most likely pick up interference from ground minerals, water, etc...

If you run past any magnetic interference, you need to do whatever you can to move it away.  This includes flourescent lights, or any high voltage power lines.  If you have to go near them, always cross them, never run parallel with them. 

If you didnt install lightning arrestors, this could be a fatal move to the other equipment in the building.  I've seen someone lose an entire network of machines when a lightning bolt hit a wire they ran between buildings.  If they are too expensive out there, I have 4 or 5 left over ones from a job I'd give to you just to help out.  They are very easy to install.

I hope this is useful info.  If you want the arrestors, send me a PM, and I'll ship them out.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.