Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  I am going nuts...with XP
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am going nuts...with XP  (Read 30873 times)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »

okay Poppo,
I got into the BIOs and set the 1st Boot Device as the IDE-0 .
This will be trying to boot from the hard drive...
Powered up, pressed F8 to get into "Safe Mode".

See pic of BIOS setting in the Boot Sequence & video clip below>>>

* MS-7032 Motherboard Cmos Jumper.png (15.3 KB, 331x148 - viewed 280 times.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:28:34 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »

Give it a minute--still uploading to youtube

Okay>>>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E60qR24NLMk&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/E60qR24NLMk&rel=0</a>
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »

Pesss and hold F8 after the BIOS screen and BEFORE the Windows logo pops up. If the logo pops up, you waited too long. You should get a menu for safe mode.

* windows-safe-mode_jpg.gif (36.67 KB, 400x311 - viewed 329 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »

okay...I did...
Two pics below..the options screen after pressing [F8]
and the screen after I chose LKGoodConfig...>>>

* XP Start options screen.jpg (807.64 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 369 times.)
poppo

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »

'Start normally' probably won't work. Try the very top one.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »

Last Known Good Config screen...
I hit enter and still get into the XP logo screen and it reboots over and over...

* LastKnownGoodConfiguration screen.jpg (596.69 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 330 times.)
poppo

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »

In case you missed my last post. Try the first option 'Safe mode'. The 'last know good' option was just a shot in the dark. I've never had it actually work.  Safe mode may take a while to boot.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »

I tried every one of those options...still reboots over and over.

I think I'm going to pull out this hard drive and save it aside and see if I can get all the NLG slot machine data out of it.
You would NOT believe how much slot docs are on it...
I HAVE to try and save it...screw this motherboard... angry-kitty banghead POS Computer

In case you missed my last post. Try the first option 'Safe mode'. The 'last know good' option was just a shot in the dark. I've never had it actually work.  Safe mode may take a while to boot.

Okay, I'm trying "Safe Mode" again for like the 50th time...lol

Here's a video clip of the Safe Mode attempt...>>>

need a few minutes to upload to youtube

BTW It won't be safe from my 8 Lb. sledgehammer out in the garage... Cry Laughing
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »

Safe Mode attempt>>>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sihw87HSq_Y&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/sihw87HSq_Y&rel=0</a>
poppo

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

Well, it was worth a try. Safe mode boots with a mimumum number of drivers. It looks like it may be getting hung up on your video driver (or it may be on the next one that has not displayed yet).

You could boot to 'command prompt', but that starts getting cryptic and you need to know what file to replace.

So I think we are back to just putting the drive in a USB enclosure and getting your data off of it on another machine.

Or if you have a XP install CD, you can try doing  a 'repair' by booting off of the CD.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »

It looks like it may be getting hung up on your video driver (or it may be on the next one that has not displayed yet).

I totally agree with you as the post stops scrolling down beyond the line at the "AGP" line -
which I'm sure is the driver for the onboard video chip or next driver like you said...

Or if you have a XP install CD, you can try doing  a 'repair' by booting off of the CD.

But with a different hard drive plugged in the the motherboard right?
To save the important hard drive on the side for now?

I will install the SATA hard drive I've never used and install with XP.
I don't have any other IDE hard drives on hand...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:07:36 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
poppo

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »

Or if you have a XP install CD, you can try doing  a 'repair' by booting off of the CD.

No, with this one. If you just do a 'repair', it will only replace all of the windows files. It won't mess with your data.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »

Or if you have a XP install CD, you can try doing  a 'repair' by booting off of the CD.

No, with this one. If you just do a 'repair', it will only replace all of the windows files. It won't mess with your data.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

okay...thanks for the link Poppo!!  Hail applause
I gotta go look for my known good copy of XP... Sherlock Smiley
I will report back in a bit.  yes
staz
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 07:34:59 PM »

why cant you just do a factory reinstall by hitting f11? it might work.... only down side is you loose all your personal data on there......that happened to me a while back xp kept rebooting i had to change my hard drive.......
poppo

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »

why cant you just do a factory reinstall by hitting f11? it might work.... only down side is you loose all your personal data on there......that happened to me a while back xp kept rebooting i had to change my hard drive.......

What sort of 'factory install'? Some computers that have that option (XP install on a hidden partition) will wipe out everything and it will be like when you first bought it. Fine if you want to start from scratch, not good if you have data you need (as in this case).
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

lol  staz - you would would NOT want to lose the stuff on THIS hard drive...believe me.  

I know how to install XP just fine, but I've never done the Recovery Console...
I know it's obvious I should hiy the "R" key.... rotflmao
Look at the new screen I got!
Here we go...>>>

* Continue_Repair_Quit screen.jpg (660.91 KB, 1884x1862 - viewed 336 times.)

* Got into XP repair files 001.jpg (811.99 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 328 times.)
poppo

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »

That looks right.
staz
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »

that should work.......... why didnt you ever back up everything on cd's?
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »

Going all the way back to my last post, I never said that the master/slave configuration had anything to do with the problem or that it needed changing. I was suggesting a way to put another bootable drive into the computer as one option of getting an operating system loaded so that the suspect drive could be assessed and tested.

<EDIT> I deleted the rest of my post after watching the last video. If it consistently stops at exactly the same driver each time then a repair might fix the problem.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:58:36 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »

that should work.......... why didnt you ever back up everything on cd's?

Slightly off topic, but I am still using my 8 year old Toshiba Tecra M1 laptop. What I like about this laptop is that the DVD is removable and you can either put in a an extra battery OR a second hard drive. With the second hard drive it makes it super easy to use Ghost (from a boot floppy) to make an exact close of the drive. I have 2 'backup' drives that I alternate doing clones to. I do this once a week. Daily, I just do a simple file copy of stuff that changes on on daily basis to my main server. So in the case of a hard drive failure, (I have had a few), I just pop in the most recent clone and I'm already 99% of the way back to normal. then I copy back my daily files and all I may have lost is what I did between the daily backup and the crash. The whole 'restore' process takes about 5 minutes.

Soapbox Alert
I really want a new laptop, but I hat to give up this functionality. Plus I absolutely HATE Widows 7. I have it on my server since that is what it came with, and I want to  POS Computer every time I need to do anything. What used to be consistent since win 98 is now buried in some 'wizard' or elsewhere hidden.
poppo

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:45 PM »

I highly doubt that repairing windows is going to fix your problem, and I still think that the best solution is to access the drive from a fully booted computer ......

I agree that that is probaby the easiest thing. However I have also had a single corupt file cause the reboot thing. And his safe mode boot is showing it rebooting up on the same driver each time.

I have so many programs installed and custimizations that I personally would always try to do a repair first. Starting from scratch really sucks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:06:27 PM by poppo » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »

I highly doubt that repairing windows is going to fix your problem, and I still think that the best solution is to access the drive from a fully booted computer ......

I agree that that is probaby the easiest thing. However I have also has a single corupt file cause the reboot thing. And his safe mode boot is showing it rebooting up on the same driver each time.

I have so many programs installed and custimizations that I personally would always try to do a repair first. Starting from scratch really sucks.

I agree, which is why I already removed the rest of my post after watching that video.

I also agree with doing full system backups (not just data). I don't use ghost (it's a great program, though). Believe it or not, I use plain old Windows backup and back up the drive to another one (usually larger so I can keep multiple sets of full and incremental backups.) I'm anal enough to then copy the backups to yet a third drive, just in case.

And like you, I've had drives fail and been able to be back up and running in less than an hour by reinstalling Windows and then restoring the entire drive - system state, programs, and all - from my backup. In addition, I keep almost all of my data on a physically separate drive in the first place, and not on the system drive.

<ADD> and obviously, I also back up the data drive. Tongue Out  Now that drives have gotten so large, my next incarnation will almost certainly be a RAID 5 box.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:08:37 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »

... and been able to be back up and running in less than an hour by reinstalling Windows and then restoring the entire drive - system state, programs, and all - from my backup.

The advantage of Ghost or other cloning solutions (I have a hardware based cloner too) is not having to reinstall Windows. Just pop in the drive and you are good to go. But I'm sure backup software has gotten better over the years.

I even have a 'backup' laptop.  arrow Exact same model (got it on e-bay for next to nothing). So the whole laptop can go up in smoke and I can still be up and running in no time.  yummy
StatFreak

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2011, 11:21:46 PM »

WinBlows backup really hasn't changed much (I'm still in XP and have no idea about Vista or 7). It still won't recognize CD/DVD drives (only wants to use f#$%n floppy drives) but then, it was really never really intended for those types of backups (floppy) anyway.

It does backup to a single medium (which used to be tape drives) so it's fine when the target is another hard drive. I stopped using CDs and DVDs years ago, since I currently have nearly a terabyte of data to back up. I don't even want to start thinking about how many DVDs that would be. ttth muted loser

Another problem with the DVD solution is that even if one only has to use say, 20 DVDs, it's a labor intensive backup that requires attendance (I usually backup my stuff while I'm sleeping) and because of this, most people won't do it at all.

Most people I know who haven't worked in the computer field don't have a comprehensive backup solution. Once bitten, twice shy fixes that, although too late for most.

My favorite excuse is when I hear the home amateurs say that they've backed up their data only and can "just reinstall the software from the disks" if their machine crashes. Duh! frying pan All I can say to those types is, "Raza Ruk" unless they don't ever expect to get things back to the way they were and want to spend days (literally) trying to get everything reinstalled and updated from the net – and that's assuming that they can lay their hands on all of the original DVDs/CDs. The only types that might be okay with this solution are the ones that have almost no software installed and never change any of the Windows settings.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:34:10 PM by StatFreak » Logged

Hotrodslots69
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 36

If all the smoke gets out it won't work anymore!

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »

Whats a Floppy Drive ?????? Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.