Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:28:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  Channelmaniac's Arcadecomponents' Old School Repair Logs (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  Q&A Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q&A Thread  (Read 137282 times)
Hoberdan
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I've trying to find a problem on my MVS MV1FZ without success.
The image is shaking a little like some sync problem, using the grid test I noticed that when removed the red and green signals the image is almost perfect and each add a different "noise" in the image.
I've checked the power supply, connections and cables and nothing.
Did have any clue? Anything would be welcome Cheesy
I'm using a LCD screen (tried CRT also) with a RGB to VGA converter/scaler.
Thanks, in advance.

* 20120530_204926.jpg (619.79 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 445 times.)
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:07 AM »

Try it with a standard arcade monitor.

The Neo Geo boards are not quite synced the way many TVs or upscalers can handle. The frequency is off just a tad and the outputs are very strong to the point of overdriving many different display devices.

You might ping some of the folks on the neo-geo.com forums as they have much more experience using upscalers and different monitors/TVs. I'm strictly dealing with arcade monitors as displays.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Hoberdan
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »

Thanks, for your help. You're right the problem was the scaler, working fine with arcade monitor.
Artemio
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 10

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

Hello, do you have the pinout for the Q-sound board in CPS-1 games?

A friend of mine gave me a Punisher board for repairs, since it had committed suicide. However, he did not have the case, only the plain boards. I connected it using just the JAMMA pinout and it was indeed dead. After I followed the instructions for both batteries, and the game booted and became fully playable it still had no sound. The C-board battery was still alive and working, but I removed it anyway since it would eventually fail. Hence, I believe everything works alright. From pictures I've seen online, http://www.flickr.com/photos/54304922@N05/5799243918/in/photostream/lightbox/ there is a connector inside the case of these boards that plugs into the Q-Sound board and the JAMMA out into a single JAMMA connector, and my guess is that I need to build one of these for it to work.

Do you have the pinout for that board? Or should it work without it and I have a fault Q-Sound board?

channelmaniac

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »

No, sorry. I do not.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

Artemio
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 10

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »

Thanks =)
raysco

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »

Hi,
I have been playing with an MV1FZS board for a few weeks on and off that has a flashing graphic pattern and the 'click of death'. I have checked all traces around the work ram and backup ram and actually done continuity checks from each pin to its destination ok. So it doesn't appear to be damaged traces anywhere, I have also con checked the address and data lines as far as possible with no faults found. However I thought the /ce and /oe lines were ok but on rechecking I find that the /oe is constant logic high. I traced this to the SP1 and replaced it from a spare working board. Any further tips ?
Cheers,
Ray
BR549 Auto Sales
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 499

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »

Do you have a way of testing a Power Drift pcb and is there another Sega driving/racing game pcb that will work in a Power Drift cabinet?
channelmaniac

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:08 AM »

Do you have a way of testing a Power Drift pcb and is there another Sega driving/racing game pcb that will work in a Power Drift cabinet?

No, sorry. It's not a JAMMA board and I don't have the necessary wiring harness adapters.

channelmaniac

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2012, 03:19:54 AM »

Hi,
I have been playing with an MV1FZS board for a few weeks on and off that has a flashing graphic pattern and the 'click of death'. I have checked all traces around the work ram and backup ram and actually done continuity checks from each pin to its destination ok. So it doesn't appear to be damaged traces anywhere, I have also con checked the address and data lines as far as possible with no faults found. However I thought the /ce and /oe lines were ok but on rechecking I find that the /oe is constant logic high. I traced this to the SP1 and replaced it from a spare working board. Any further tips ?
Cheers,
Ray

You sure you traced /CE and /OE properly? I'd have to go back and check a board but those are controlled by the chips in the battery backed section - the 74HC32 comes to mind. Those boards suffer from problems in the battery backup section when the battery starts leaking.

raysco

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2012, 03:31:30 AM »

Thanks for the response, I will go and check them again. This is one of those few boards that has no corrosion anywhere near the battery (or under it) however U13 (74ls32) is showing some pitting around and under it, but again tracing tracks appears fine. I will double check the /oe and /ce lines. Smiley
TimeWarpGamer

Total Karma Storms: 0

Yeeeehaaaaaaa!

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forums, just started collecting some old machines. I am having issues with this Neo Geo MV4F I got though.

Getting the following error:

Video Ram Error

Address
00000E17

Write

Read
D555

Can you guys help point me in the right direction for chip replacement? Also will need to buy these chips and probably replace the original battery too on it.

Thanks in advance,

TimeWarpGamer
channelmaniac

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »

This will be one of the 2 surface mount SRAM chips tied to the LCPC chip... Don't recall which one and don't have a 4F on the bench to check at the moment.

Raymond

TimeWarpGamer

Yeeeehaaaaaaa!

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »

Ok great,

I think it is these two The cxk5814 chips are the fast video ram? I might just replace them both and see what happens, I have a bad feeling this will bring up the next error on the board but will see.

Thanks - Raymond, if any other tips pop up feel free to post them!

10-4 back to trouble shooting...
channelmaniac

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »

No, that would give you an error at $00008000. This is the surface mount chips tied to that video controller

You need these: http://www.arcadecomponents.com/catalog/item/2251646/4758714.htm

RJ

TimeWarpGamer

Yeeeehaaaaaaa!

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »

Sweetness -

Thank so much, just ordered them up on your site and a cap kit. Thanks again for the help and have a great weekend -

edy
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »

hello channelmaniac,

i come to you because i know you are an ref from cps1 repair .

i Have an final fight cps1 with cosmetic glitch (A-Board have trouble) ,the B and C board are tested on an other A Bord and it work.

Have you some idear of my probléme please ?

channelmaniac

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »

Check for the usual things: gouged traces, damaged pins in the connectors where the B board plugs in, and corrosion damage from liquid spills.

Beyond that you're most likely looking at a bad custom chip and needing a replacement A board.

edy
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »

thanks for your reply Wink
edy
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »

i have cheked Check for  damaged pins in the connectors  and corrosion damage from liquid spills and i find nothing of this .

i have a mutlimétre and logic probe can i make other test ?

you have an idea of ​​how the deportation the A-Board for making test easy ?

channelmaniac

« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

It's most likely going to be a problem with the custom chip which means you'll need to source a replacement A board.

edy
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »

i'm curse it is very hard to find in France alone Sad
le basque
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »

Hello Channelmaniac,

I just found out about you and your work and... wow.

I have a problem with my AES. All it does is produce graphic garbage.

I posted photos here if you could take a look :

http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=26556.0

At the top are pics with no game inserted, below are pics with a cartridge in (i get either those blocky stuff or a black screen). Looks pretty serious...

At the bottom of the page are hi res pics of the board (2 sides). (I cleaned everything but nothing changed)

I have no technical knowledge so I shipped it to a fellow neo geo french fan who is currently trying various stuff on it but he's telling me it's avery tough nut to crack ! Wink

Any idea that comes to mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
channelmaniac

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2012, 01:15:41 PM »

Sorry, but I cannot view the pics without registering on that forum. Sad

Can you attach them here?

Raymond

le basque
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »

Sorry I forgot about that.

So first here is what i get with no game : (randomly)

Very modern art or something

* 01.jpg (72.2 KB, 640x480 - viewed 439 times.)

* 02.jpg (72.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 453 times.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:31:33 PM by le basque » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.