Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  New Life Games Command Center....
| |-+  NLG Annual Bettor Slots Giveaway (Moderator: Bettor Slots)
| | |-+  Central Valley Slots "Not-So-Trivial" Trivia for Drawing Entries! - Round 1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Central Valley Slots "Not-So-Trivial" Trivia for Drawing Entries! - Round 1  (Read 44668 times)
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

Hint: They used a 5 HP motor to get it done....

And a chain to drive them toooooooooo

One of the main problems was the stops. The SPEED of the reels would shear off the reel stops....

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 07:38:11 PM »

Well, you got the .1667 right! (J/K)  Crazy bust gut laughing bust gut laughing  (P.S. That's 1/6 for you non-number folks. Tongue Out)

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 19

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »

Looks like it may use gear reduction box with some sort of jack-shaft-?  40 rpm?.
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »

Okay I visualized myself watching a BB spin form last time I watched one, which was a ZILLION years ago. I then opened the clock/timer app on my laptop and timed 15 seconds and counted imaginary Big Bertha reels spinning. My answer is:
50 rpm

knockout knockout knockout

Short,
I'm going to go with your timing of 15 seconds per revolution.
That would be 4 RPM's

Hint: They used a 5 HP motor to get it done....
Roz your going to have to check that again. No way in hell am I going to believe that it took a 5 HP electric motor.
1/5 is more like it.

Hell a Golf Cart has a 5 hp motor and one from that era would be like 90 LBS
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:08:21 PM by Neonkiss » Logged

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »

How many tries do we get at the correct answer?.   I think I have it now...The answer is ZERO -0- ,Until you put money in and play!.
CVslots

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »

Ok, when I get back home I will post an excerpt from the source....

Neonkiss

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »

Ok, when I get back home I will post an excerpt from the source....

http://www.slotmachines.org/slot-machines/terms/big-bertha.htm

OK, but I still don't believe that number

777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »

5hp at 110 volts is still gonna carry some serious rpms.  This being stated it has to have some serious gear reduction going on.  Gonna take someone that has worked on or has one of these because without the rpm of the 5hp motor and the gear ratio -not gonna be able to do nothing but guess.  Those two are needed to help solve equation.  rpms drop also from drive to driven due to many factors.  Also,  RPM of the motor is NOT the RPM of the reels.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 08:59:10 PM »

5hp at 110 volts is still gonna carry some serious rpms.  This being stated it has to have some serious gear reduction going on.  Gonna take someone that has worked on or has one of these because without the rpm of the 5hp motor and the gear ratio -not gonna be able to do nothing but guess.  Those two are needed to help solve equation.  rpms drop also from drive to driven due to many factors.  Also,  RPM of the motor is NOT the RPM of the reels.

Don't over think it. Just try to picture the reels spinning in your mind's eye. How long do you think it takes to go around once? Then figure RPMs.

Remember, it's not how many times the reels go around during a spin, but how fast they are turning.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »

Looking at sprocket set up in pic. member posted a link to here and also assuming and I hate that word it is the correct game I would now think in the area of 2-3 hundred rpm's.  Set up looks simular to bicycle gearing.  The only true way to know exact rpm of the reels is to place a target on them and shoot them.   
CVslots

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »

StatFreaks on the right track...don't OVERTHINK it! Just think about how many times the reels do a full rotation during a play, then figure how many seconds they spun, then do the math to get the RPMs.

I looked back at the article, and the 5 HP is correct, as Neon found. They had to get the reels to spin pretty fast or they would "appear to revolve too slowly" to the player. The biggest problem on the machines was metal fatigue, as you can imagine the force of stopping a car tire-sized reel.

Isn't this fun?!?!?  rotflmao

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »

I'm gonna guess about 25 RPM
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »

120 rpm

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
TheAirBalancer
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:39 PM »

I'm guessing 175.

az_flag
777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »

Yes,  I do know from some of my older diesel days pcm had to see 100 rpms mininum  to enable injectors etc. . This is just turning a diesel engine over-so anyone has looked at a diesel engine turning over before it cranks-that is pretty slow.  I have no other resources to solve this riddle as sprocket sizes,input rpms, etc. would be needed.  I will say that after thinking more the rpms are well over 100.  Given the information in the question,  I have deduced it is impossible to calculate the rpms of these reels.  However,  If I had one the question would have already been answered!.  
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »

New guess 60

Neonkiss

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »

Still don't believe that 5 HP motor no matter what that article says.
Hell I've heard good thing about Buzz, but just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.  Crazy

An electric motor is going to spin at a constant rate and in the range of 3100 - 4500 RPM's
So we know that's not the answer because it's not a direct drive. So now we know there is a gear reduction involved.
If the correct answer is between 31 and 45 then that gear reduction is around 100:1
When you reduce gear reduction you increase torque on the output shaft. This is the basic principal behind a block and tackle or even a lever to move an object.
so IF your using a 5 hp motor as a driver and running through a 100:1 reduction the end torque is equivalent 500 HP motor.
Now surely (and don't call me Shirley) boys and girls, your not going to tell me it took the torque of a 500 hp motor to turn those reels.

One of the main problems was the stops. The SPEED of the reels would shear off the reel stops....

Nope, not the speed to shear it off. That's the inertia.
a property of matter by which it remains at rest or in uniform motion in the same straight line unless acted upon by some external force

777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »

Neon,  They can set up electric motors to spin out 2-3 hundred rpm's and still be rated at 5hp.  That is the first part of equation-input rpms,then gear/sprocket size on input,then gear/sprocket size on driven  assuming no gearbox?  As I said a bit ago,  Impossible to calculate without the variables.  As one of old ozzys songs went it-- it's a shot in the dark!!. 
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:06 PM »

There is no way that reels that large could complete 1 revolution in 1sec  or less so  by timing each response x  60  = 60 or less 45 sounds like a reasonable # so 45 rpm

Neonkiss

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »

A little more math.
I image that each reel is about 36 inched in diameter.
36 X Pi (3.14159) is = 113.09 inches of reel tape
Multiply that times lets say 40 revolutions per minute = 4523.8896 inches of reel tape each minute
that's the same as 376.9908feet of reel tape per minute. Or divide by 60 =  6.28318 feet of reel tape each second!

Now I'm telling you id you are looking a symbols a foot away and tape is passing by at the rate of 6.28318 ft per second you won't see a thing. The human eye will only see a blur.

So 40 RPM is too fast.  arrow

777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »

I think now at 45 rpm you could not only see the symbols clearly,  you could also eat some pie etc.  Way to slow.  Even the 1930's and up spin faster.  
Neonkiss

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 10:18:53 PM »

Neon,  They can set up electric motors to spin out 2-3 hundred rpm's and still be rated at 5hp.  That is the first part of equation-input rpms,then gear/sprocket size on input,then gear/sprocket size on driven  assuming no gearbox?  As I said a bit ago,  Impossible to calculate without the variables.  As one of old ozzys songs went it-- it's a shot in the dark!!.  
True, but if you set a motor up to that low of a RPM the shaft output torque is stupid high, so you wouldn't need a 5 hp motor.

Now if you want to tell me the shaft output torque was = to a 5 hp motor I might believe it. But the driver being 5 hp. ttth

777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »

What happens when we ride a 10-12 speed bicycle?.  All in gearing.  We are over thinking all this as there is no WAY to calculate the correct answer given the question and based on most everyone here axcess to the specific game in the question.  The question was presented as such and yes it is fun but Do you think they are just going to be giving boat loads of 25 dollar entries away every hour!.  Why did they call records 45rpms etc. and the others.  Speed needed to play that record.  I could always see the label good back in the day at those speeds.  I think just a lucky guess will get this OR that guy that has one.  It is almost tempting to send him the tape and rpm gun to chk. rpm's--They said 7-days.   
TheAirBalancer
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »

What happens when we ride a 10-12 speed bicycle?.  All in gearing.  We are over thinking all this as there is no WAY to calculate the correct answer given the question and based on most everyone here axcess to the specific game in the question.  The question was presented as such and yes it is fun but Do you think they are just going to be giving boat loads of 25 dollar entries away every hour!.  Why did they call records 45rpms etc. and the others.  Speed needed to play that record.  I could always see the label good back in the day at those speeds.  I think just a lucky guess will get this OR that guy that has one.  It is almost tempting to send him the tape and rpm gun to chk. rpm's--They said 7-days.   

I have a strobe tachometer that I use for my job so I wish I had one of these machines right now!

az_flag
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.