Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+ Forum
|-+ General NLG Chat
| |-+ Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!)
| | |-+ The Celebrity Death Pool
| | | |-+ The Celebrity Death Pool
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Death Pool  (Read 52672 times)
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 05:34:24 AM »

Thanks Brianzz  applause for posting about Dominick Dunne, No more power, privilege or justice

Not being able to sleep very well, means that I see alot of shows on TRU TV as they run till early in the morning. His show was always kinda cool to watch.

I wouldn't want to be a celeb right now, they are dropping like flies!!!  no no no

Wait, who am I kidding! I would jump at the chance and take the risk!!  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:44 AM »

A couple good ones:

Art Fleming (04/25)
We'll take Dead Game Show Hosts for a hundred, Alex. garfield

Albert R. Broccoli (06/27)
Just as well. It's awful to think of anyone spending the rest of his days as a vegetable. Cactus

And the piece de resistance:

DeForest Kelley (06/11)
All together, everybody ... "He's dead, Jim!"  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Thanks,
Bill
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 07:03:28 AM »

A couple good ones:

Art Fleming (04/25)
We'll take Dead Game Show Hosts for a hundred, Alex. garfield

Albert R. Broccoli (06/27)
Just as well. It's awful to think of anyone spending the rest of his days as a vegetable. Cactus

And the piece de resistance:

DeForest Kelley (06/11)
All together, everybody ... "He's dead, Jim!"  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Or if laughing is not appropriate...

bawling bawling bawling

CH CaptainHappy

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »

One more:

Ike Turner (12/12)
Looks like he beat Tina to death.

Now I'm bad!  Evil Spank bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Thanks,
Bill
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »

Refer to reply #27 above!

CH CaptainHappy bust gut laughing

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 06:05:24 AM »

Patrick Swayze is the latest. Anybody remember Road House?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5E4GEUkgq1U&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5E4GEUkgq1U&rel=0</a>

Point Break?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuVDrpl1tIY&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UuVDrpl1tIY&rel=0</a>

Thanks,
Bill
tjkeller
NLG Translator
NLG Document, Media Gallery and FAQ Writer
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 374

What???...Where???...Huh???

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 02:52:20 PM »

Road House was one of the better ones....the addition of Sam Elliot to ANY movie makes it good.

At least here, we knew this one was coming.
Lost the battle with cancer. Another way too soon at 57 yrs old.
RIP Patrick...you will be missed by many.

Thank God for Friends!!!
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »

REMOVED
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:08:13 PM by ROCKET » Logged

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
Joeylc
Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 287

KG7NLG

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »

Mary Travers (09/16)
If she had a hammer, she'd still be dead.

Henry Gibson (09/17)
"The Afterlife" ... by Henry Gibson.

Susan Atkins (09/24)
Parole granted.

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net
Brianzz
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3PcE9CtK_I&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/v3PcE9CtK_I&rel=0</a>

Soupy Sales, the rubber-faced comedian who made an art form out of taking a pie in the face and delighted a generation of Detroiters with his loopy TV show on Channel 7 in the 1950s, died Thursday night in New York.

Sales, who had been in ill health for several years, was 83. His former manager, Dave Usher, said Sales last week entered a Bronx hospice, where he died. He is survived by his wife, Trudy, and two sons, Hunt and Tony.

“He was the first person from Detroit television whose first name had instant recognition from coast to coast,” said former Channel 7 anchorman Bill Bonds. “If you said ‘Soupy' in New York, they knew who it was. If you said ‘Soupy' in Los Angeles, everybody knew who it was. I'd worked in both markets, and the first thing anybody said when I mentioned I was from Detroit was ‘Soupy.' ”

Born Milton Supman in Franklinton, N.C., and raised in West Virginia, Sales was best known to Detroiters as the goofy yet cerebral host of “Lunch with Soupy,” a half-hour show that featured Sales hamming it up in a variety of sometimes surreal situations.

The show, which began airing in Detroit in 1953, featured a cast of unforgettable characters: an incorrigible dog by the name of White Fang, “the meanest dog in all Deeeetroit,” who communicated via a series of guttural noises; Black Tooth, an overly affectionate dog whom Sales would constantly tell “don't kiss”; Hippy the Hippo, and Willy the Worm.

Of course, there were the pies. Sales once estimated that he took 9,000 pies in the face during the course of his career.

But the most famous of Sales' bits was “lunch.” A typical menu might include a hot dog as the main course. Before Sales would take a bite, viewers would hear the sound of squealing pigs. Or, viewers might hear the sound of mooing cows as Sales sipped milk.

The lunchtime show was also known for its unpredictability. Sales would leave the set, camera in tow, and harass other Channel 7 hosts.

He once left the set in mid-show and hunted down Channel 7's Edythe Fern Melrose, a woman of unyielding dignity who was known as “The Lady of Charm.” Sales blasted her with a pie.

“She didn't know it was coming,” once recalled former Detroit radio personality Mark Andrews, himself since deceased, who watched the program as a grade-school student at Fraser's Eisenhower Elementary. “It might be the funniest moment I've seen on television.”

The show was “must-see” TV, long before NBC came up with the phrase. Thousands of Detroit baby boomers would become “Birdbaths,” the designation given to members of his club.

Tom De Lisle, a Detroit writer and TV producer, once recalled to the Free Press growing up on Detroit's east side and watching the show. He and his brother, Skip, lived close enough to their grade school that they could go home for lunch to watch Sales.

“We calculated that we could catch the last joke on the show and make it back to our desks by the time the bell rang if we ran like hell. And that's what we did,” recalled De Lisle. “We stood in the doorway, hung right to the last second of Soupy's show, said ‘Go!' and ran. The show was creative, different and live every day.”

With the success of the noontime show, Channel 7 quickly developed a nighttime show, “Soupy's On,” for the 11 p.m. time period.

“Soupy's On” was a comedy-variety show, with Sales performing sketch comedy with a team of local actors and actresses. He also regularly featured the best jazz performers of the day, including Charlie Parker, Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

Sales created a multitude of characters for his evening show: Charles Vichyssoise, a slippery French crooner who was forever sparring with unruly patrons at the Club Chi Chi; Wyatt Burp, and Ernest Hemingbone, who argued with his literary rivals.

Sales later admitted that the pace of doing a noon show and a 11 p.m. live comedy program — one hour of live television, five days a week — contributed to the breakup of his marriage, played havoc with his family life and left him exhausted.

But he made serious money for Channel 7 — so much money that Sales could be credited with saving the American Broadcasting Company, which owned the station, in addition to the ABC-TV network. At the time, ABC was struggling and relied heavily on its owned-and-operated stations in cities like Detroit, where Sales was raking it in.

Sales left Detroit in late 1959 and ended up at KABC-TV, the ABC-owned station in Los Angeles.

“I thought it was time to move on because I didn't want to be 60, 65 and be sitting around one night having a drink and wonder if I could have made it in another market,” he wrote in his autobiography, “Soupy Sez.”

After Detroit, Sales hosted children's shows in New York and Los Angeles. Frank Sinatra asked to appear on the Sales show in Los Angeles and take a pie in the face.

When Sinatra appeared on the set, a director offered the singer a tour of the set. “Don't bother,” Sinatra reportedly said, “I know the show better than you do.”

Sales' L.A. show ran between 1961 and 1963, but was canceled because local television was moving from live, locally produced TV to syndicated material.

But Sales had one more go-around with children's television, at New York's WNEW-TV between 1964 and 1967, where he get into trouble for jokingly asking his fans to send him money.

Sales was suspended for the stunt, but reinstated after massive demonstrations in front of WNEW-TV studios.

Sales left Channel 5 in New York in 1968 after years of fighting with station management.

His attitude about station managers, which remained unchanged until his death, was that TV executives ruined television. He said that most station managers would not “know a tap dancer from a trombone player,” and that their primary contribution was “getting drunk on their six-martini lunches.”

His mark on television remained well into the 1980s and beyond. New York Times critic John J. O'Connor noted in 1986 that Pee-wee Herman's act could be traced back to Sales.

Said Channel 7 anchorman Erik Smith: “He was our youth. He was my lunch every day. He was my Jell-O. He had that profound an impact as an individual as anybody in the history of Detroit television. I still find myself doing some of his mannerisms. And I'm still a proud Birdbath.”
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »

applause applause applause Loved that show.

I remember when the stage manager played a trick on him when he answered the door in one of his skits. He
was so surprised he could hardly talk. They never showed why but later I saw who was hid beside the door and
it was a woman top-less.

Another great loss. bawling

Ron
Brianzz

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 12:59:20 AM »

No word yet from his twin brother Anal Roberts

TULSA, Okla. – Oral Roberts, a pioneer in televangelism who founded a multimillion-dollar ministry and a university that bears his name, died Tuesday. He was 91. Roberts died of complications from pneumonia in Newport Beach, Calif., according to his spokesman, A. Larry Ross. The evangelist was hospitalized after a fall on Saturday. He had survived two heart attacks in the 1990s and a broken hip in 2006.

Roberts was a pioneer who broadcast his spirit-filled revivals on television, a new frontier for religion when he started in the 1950s. He was also a forerunner of the controversial "prosperity gospel" that has come to dominate televangelism. The evangelist's "Seed-Faith" theology held that those who give to God will get things in return.

"If God had not, in His sovereign will, raised up the ministry of Oral Roberts, the entire charismatic movement might not have occurred," said Jack Hayford, president of the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel, in a statement.

Roberts overcame tuberculosis at age 17, when his brother carried him to a revival meeting where a healing evangelist was praying for the sick. Roberts said he was healed of the illness and of his youthful stuttering. He said that it was then that he heard God tell him he should build a university based on the Lord's authority and the Holy Spirit.

Roberts rose from humble tent revivals to become one of the country's most famous preachers.

He gave up a local pastorate in Enid in 1947 to enter an evangelistic ministry in Tulsa to pray for the healing of the whole person — the body, mind and spirit. The philosophy led many to call him a "faith healer," a label he rejected with the comment: "God heals — I don't."

By the 1960s and '70s, he was reaching millions around the world through radio, television, publications and personal appearances. He remained on TV into the new century, co-hosting the program, "Miracles Now," with son Richard. He published dozens of books and conducted hundreds of crusades. A famous photograph showed him working at a desk with a sign on it reading, "Make no little plans here."

He credited his oratorical skills to his faith, saying, "I become anointed with God's word, and the spirit of the Lord builds up in me like a coiled spring. By the time I'm ready to go on, my mind is razor-sharp. I know exactly what I'm going to say and I'm feeling like a lion."

Unity of body, mind and spirit became the theme of Oral Roberts University. The campus is a Tulsa landmark, with its space-age buildings laden with gold paint, including a 200-foot prayer tower and a 60-foot bronze statue of praying hands.

His ministry hit upon rocky times in the 1980s. There was controversy over his City of Faith medical center, a $250 million investment that eventually folded, and Roberts' widely ridiculed proclamation that God would "call me home" if he failed to meet a fundraising goal of $8 million. A law school he founded also was shuttered.

Semiretired in recent years and living in California, he returned to Tulsa, Okla., in October 2007 as scandal roiled Oral Roberts University. His son, Richard Roberts, who succeeded him as ORU president, faced allegations of spending university money on shopping sprees and other luxuries at a time the institution was more than $50 million in debt.

Richard Roberts resigned as president in November 2007, marking the first time since Oral Roberts University was chartered in 1963 that a member of the Roberts family would not be at its helm. The rocky period for the evangelical school was eased when billionaire Oklahoma City businessman Mart Green donated $70 million and helped run the school in the interim, pledging to restore the public's trust. By the fall of 2009, things were looking up, with officials saying tens of millions of dollars worth of debt had been paid off and enrollment was up slightly.

That September, a frail-looking Oral Roberts attended the ceremony when the school's new president, Mark Rutland, was formally inaugurated.

"He was not only my earthly father; he was my spiritual father and mentor," said son, Richard Roberts, in a statement.
Gusco
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 19

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »

Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2010 RIP 

He will be missed, Its a dark day in the world of Heavy Metal.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  —John Wayne
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »

I'll have to crank up the Sabbath and Rainbow at work this week in tribute. propeller propeller

RIP, Ronnie, you were one of the Gods of Metal.  yes

<edit> This should get interesting, as I work with a LOT of people who will be getting their first exposure to this type of music... rotflmao rotflmao

Of course, there are a lot of metalheads in the Norwegian company we just acquired, so they'll be in the swing of things. yes yes yes yes
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:12:32 PM by brichter » Logged

Thanks,
Bill
stormrider

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »

Ronnie had one of the better voices in Metal/Rock...Look Out !!!!

RIP,Ronnie gone but not forgotten.
PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »

I seen RJD in concert at least 6 times back in the day and still have all his albums.  He will be missed by us old die hard metal heads.  I wonder if it was "Heaven or Hell".  I am going to dig my stuff out as well and pay a tribute to him.  B.
Forrhouse
Manufacturing Equipment & Parts to Keep Slots that are No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer running.

Total Karma Storms: 252

Life is too short, live, love and have a good time

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 03:41:42 AM »

Saw him in concert a few years back. Awsome. Always been one of my favs.  And I agree he definitely had a great voice and one of the best at that.
His death is a big loss. Really sucks. I was bummed when I heard it.  I would have liked to seen him in concert again.
E~
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 05:32:57 AM »

So, we have a consensus.

Those from the Asian subcontinent are definitely more in tune with metal than those from the Asian continent when you consider the 40+ category. One female of the latter category was about to rip her ears from her head, and I think her eyes may have been bleeding at one point.  applause Clap applause Crazy rotflmao bust gut laughing

and as I thought, the Norwegians were having a blast.

We need a new smilie:

* rad.gif (1 KB, 26x28 - viewed 519 times.)

Thanks,
Bill
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »

REMOVED
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:07:25 PM by ROCKET » Logged

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »

REMOVED
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:06:46 PM by ROCKET » Logged

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »

toss a few torpedoes at the darn thing and see if it closes up the drill hole ??

Wouldn't that run a huge risk of opening the hole even more and allowing more oil to leak into the gulf?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 10:08:01 PM »

REMOVED
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:06:09 PM by ROCKET » Logged

CommTech

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2010, 01:23:52 AM »

It's difficult to tell, but it appears from the live underwater BP, camera that the oil is leaking in several spots from the fractured pipe that is currently bent over and laying on the Gulf floor.
I can understand why it is so difficult to stop the flow of oil when there is no single access point to plug.
The pipe itself is the problem. The broken end of the pipe is laying horizontally on the sea floor, and there are multiple holes and leaks down the length of the pipe before it enters the hole that was drilled on the Gulf floor.
Since the oil is leaking from the pipe and not the drill hole, blowing up the pipe will do nothing to stop the flow of oil from the source. In fact, it would probably make it worse.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »

REMOVED
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:05:28 PM by ROCKET » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com Newlifegames.net Newlifegames.org
New Life Games NewLifeGames NLG We Bring new Life to old Games 1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.