Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 06:01:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  EPROM BURNER
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EPROM BURNER  (Read 47977 times)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 03:26:40 AM »

Oh yeah...not only will they be erased...they will be melted to a pulp as well!  Crazy

Should you decide to go with larger sized devices - it's simply a matter of copy&paste anyways
and the eprom will fill up with data.
Having the correct sized eproms in the first place is nice if you can get them at a good price
without buying a boxful of eproms with bent legs.
Don't say I didn't warn ya!  Tongue Out
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »

only the 2716 - will not id no matter what you do - all others id works fine.

I didn't know that about the 2716's. Thanks. Hail applause applause

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »

An hour? Boy, that really goes beyond a tan and straight into cancer! bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Oh yeah...not only will they be erased...they will be melted to a pulp as well!  Crazy

bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Most chips erase in 10-20 minutes, and even the cheap UV erasers will hold 4 EPROMs at a time. You just use fresh chips while the other ones are cooking.  stir the pot / get cooking
I prefer mine without Ketchup. french fries  Tongue Out

Now to be truthful, my most recent order was for 50 1MB FLASH EPROMS, but they were actually less expensive than the 1MB UVs (probably because they are newer and more abundant). I bought them used from buyicnow.com, which Buzz recommended to me. I haven't received them yet, but Buzz says that he's always gotten clean, erased chips with no bent pins.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 07:02:38 PM »

i use the 2716 for my e-series applications - i have a bytek and used to use a JDR burner attached to a 386 until the PC died - so I had to upgrade to the GQ-4X. My Bytek lets me do BIPOLAR proms 82S123s - which I cannot do on any standard burner.  The only issue with 2716 was  TI which I avoid.
StatFreak

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »

i use the 2716 for my e-series applications - i have a bytek and used to use a JDR burner attached to a 386 until the PC died - so I had to upgrade to the GQ-4X. My Bytek lets me do BIPOLAR proms 82S123s - which I cannot do on any standard burner.  The only issue with 2716 was  TI which I avoid.

If I remember the posts, the TI version required three different voltages to program and used a different pin configuration. ?

OhioGaming
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »

If I remember ...

A for sure way to tell you are getting older.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »

If I remember ...

A for sure way to tell you are getting older.

As if we needed that to remind us!  Crazy rotflmao bust gut laughing Cry Laughing

Thanks,
Bill
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:41 AM »

Having the correct sized eproms in the first place is nice if you can get them at a good price
without buying a boxful of eproms with bent legs.
Don't say I didn't warn ya!  Tongue Out
[/quote]

Bunker ..A few people suggested Epromman...is that not good advise? I would rather pay a little more if all I am going to get is junk!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 01:30:11 AM »

I've haven't tried to buy anything from that guy but buzz recommends  buyicnow.com...
I'd give them a shot first...at least one of our members thinks they're very reputable.
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 01:52:13 AM »

I've haven't tried to buy anything from that guy but buzz recommends  buyicnow.com...
I'd give them a shot first...at least one of our members thinks they're very reputable.

But China....3 weeks to get them ..Oh well, little fingers to straighten the little pins before shipping.

Thanks
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2010, 01:55:27 AM »

Bunker ..A few people suggested Epromman...is that not good advise? I would rather pay a little more if all I am going to get is junk!

A search for "epromman" seems to show that there have been both good and bad experiences with his products... i'm lucky, as most everything can be had locally. That's the perk of living in Nerdville... Nerd Nerd Nerd Nerd Nerd Nerd Nerd

Thanks,
Bill
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »

I have bought from a Ebay dealer called "IC-China" prices were good, chips were good and already blank..but I swear they strapped them to the rear end of a Yak. Took close to a MONTH to get here.
I dont know if it's their Post office or ours (USPS) but it takes forever.....
We need to find a dealer in the USA with good product AND prices....
(First person to recommend HAPP gets the Raspberry award)....
I'm sure HAPP will ship a tube of 27Cxxx chips anywhere in the USA
for $18......

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2010, 02:01:46 AM »

I have bought from a Ebay dealer called "IC-China" prices were good, chips were good and already blank..but I swear they strapped them to the rear end of a Yak. Took close to a MONTH to get here.
I dont know if it's their Post office or ours (USPS) but it takes forever.....

Surely you've heard the phrase "Slow Boat to China"? Crazy Crazy bust gut laughing

Thanks,
Bill
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2010, 02:03:52 AM »

I think Kirk's chips came across the pacific in this thing...LOL

* 420678_old_chinese_boat.jpg (20.63 KB, 300x225 - viewed 539 times.)
dpalmi

Total Karma Storms: 291

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2010, 03:37:31 AM »

Oh, and don't forget the eraser!  Duh!

I think the answer is no - but can someone verify that you can not erase chips in a tanning bed?

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2010, 03:53:43 AM »

Oh, and don't forget the eraser!  Duh!

I think the answer is no - but can someone verify that you can not erase chips in a tanning bed?

Dan #2

Tanning bed? thats a good question Dan... (I dont know)
But I CAN tell you what doesn't work.....
I tried leaving them on the patio one summer day, didnt work. No harm done..but they were still "intact".
You would think all that UV would do the trick. Must not be the correct wavelength .

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2010, 03:57:31 AM »

Pretty sure it won't work because UV A (what the tanning bed has, and only the low end of the UV A spectrum) isn't the same frequency as UV C, which is what erases eproms. It might, given several days...

UV C is dangerous to the skin and eyes.

Thanks,
Bill
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2010, 06:07:16 AM »

I have bought from all three sellers mentioned in this thread.  Epromman is by far the cheapest ( in Florida ) first ones I got from him was in tubes. second and third time they were pretty bent up, but for 50 cents each I can spend a little time making their little old legs stand straight. I just don't remember much about I C China, last three orders came from BuyIcnow all 4 & 8 meg chips, not one bad one in the lot, always erased,  all labels removed and never a bent leg, shipping about 2 1/2 weeks.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
StatFreak

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »

I placed my order with buyICnow.com around Christmas and it was shipped on 12/30. (Not really that long considering the holiday and weekend.) I'll let everyone know when they arrive and their condition.

WINBOND W27C010-70  $0.98 each (for 50) used, on foam.

Mouser had new ST chips in tubes
SST27SF010-70-3C-PH  $1.19 ea (for 50)

I would have gone with Mouser, but I needed 2MB chips as well and they seemed to be perpetually out of stock on those. Their prices for UV 2MB chips was much higher than BuyICNow's counterparts, and they wanted to charge me the 10% Kaliforni-Duh sales tax, making it a bad deal.

I have been buying more items on the internet, or not at all because of that horrible tax. I will go out of my way to avoid paying it. For those sticklers, it's actually 9.75%. BFD. It turns good deals in to lousy ones and takes away every local merchant's competitive edge.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:03:36 PM by StatFreak » Logged

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »

I wonder if the lawyer got in trouble for that advice?
That's like saying uh,...."now don't you worry about red lights at busy intersections,  just keep on driving straight through"  bust gut laughing
ricker
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »

From Kirk above,

"I tried leaving them on the patio one summer day, didn't work. No harm done..but they were still "intact".
You would think all that UV would do the trick. Must not be the correct wavelength".

I remember on the old site, NLG 1  Burning Resistor , there was discussion about UV light, and leaving them out for a few weeks in the sun was suppose to work. Also, the use of a lamp used for reptile habitat or aquariums were used under a cardboard box. Remember the UV light is bad for your eyes. Anyone remember this?

There's two things about getting older. The first thing to go is your memory,...................................and I can't remember the other one.

Richard
StatFreak

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »

I wonder if the lawyer got in trouble for that advice?
That's like saying uh,...."now don't you worry about red lights at busy intersections,  just keep on driving straight through"  bust gut laughing

Oops, sorry about that Bunker. I decided to retract that part of my post. When I looked closer, it turned out that the "ST" company suing them was actually Standard Microsystems Corp., not Silicon Storage Technology. My error.

Since you responded, here is the original information again. I should think that their former attorney would be in hot water over this.

November 24, 2009
Media Mention
A California appeals court has ordered a default judgment set aside against Winbond Electronics Corp. and an affiliate after finding that Winbond’s former attorney misadvised the companies not to respond to a complaint by Standard Microsystems Corp. alleging misappropriation of its design of a microchip used in computers. The appeals court reversed a lower court’s denial to vacate its judgment that restricted the Winbond defendants from using microchip technology relating to Standard's trade secrets. Winbond is represented in this matter by Finnegan.

StatFreak

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:58 PM »

From Kirk above,

"I tried leaving them on the patio one summer day, didn't work. No harm done..but they were still "intact".
You would think all that UV would do the trick. Must not be the correct wavelength".

I remember on the old site, NLG 1  Burning Resistor , there was discussion about UV light, and leaving them out for a few weeks in the sun was suppose to work. Also, the use of a lamp used for reptile habitat or aquariums were used under a cardboard box. Remember the UV light is bad for your eyes. Anyone remember this?

There's two things about getting older. The first thing to go is your memory,...................................and I can't remember the other one.

Richard

They will eventually erase if exposed long enough to sunlight, but then again, you could also try to bake a cake with a magnifying glass.  ttth  Tongue Out frying pan
Why bother?  Weird Eyes

If one has spent over $100 on a burner and probably $50 to $100 more for chips, why worry about the cost of a $20 eraser?  Scratch Head
There are dozens of them on fleapay every day.
Here's one example. Many of us have these and they work just fine. I am not endorsing this seller, just posting an example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110475944577

I also bought another type of eraser, so I can actually erase 8 chips at a time now.

Op-Bell

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »

FYI, the EPROM identity is read out by pulling pin A9 up to 12V and then reading the "silicon signature" from locations 0 and 1. Flash and EEPROM chips use a different, low voltage method (writing a command word by some complicated process) and quite often can't stand the 12V, so some programmers won't try the high voltage until you at least select an EPROM type. Then they use the manufacturer's code to pick the right programming voltage and algorithm, though there's not much variation in modern devices. It was difficult 25 years ago, with dozens of different manufacturing processes each with its own algorithm, but as the proprietary knowledge got passed around and memory cells got smaller they converged on the same one.

The 2716 came out before the silicon signature idea was developed, so most don't have it, but some do.
StatFreak

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »

Op-Bell, how do the more sophisticated (and expensive) burners successfully read a chip blind and determine its type, size, and manufacturer?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.