Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Tatung black, power supply overloads when Def.Coil attached....!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tatung black, power supply overloads when Def.Coil attached....!!!  (Read 8947 times)
Deepblue
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« on: November 13, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »

Hi all,
Please help. I have a Tatung (possibly a VT 1440  Scratch Head) When I remove the deflection yoke, all the voltages are fine, but when I attach the yoke the power supply starts "oscillating" and the voltages drop.

I have measured the yoke and it is around 2.6 ohm on the vertical and 0.6 ohm on the horizontal  Scratch Head Scratch Head
This sounds a bit low to me?? but the yoke looks fine.
Anyone have any info or ideas on this?

The CRT is a Chunghwa A48AGY13X57 and it tests fine with the CRT tester.

* PB130246-small.JPG (463.56 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 268 times.)

* PB130245-small.JPG (315.06 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 297 times.)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »

You didn't power it up with the yoke unplugged did you?
Deepblue

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »

Yes I did... I know I shouldn't have but it made no difference.
maybe the guy I'm repairing it for has tried it too ???
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:00:45 PM »

powering it up with the yoke unplugged there's a good chance the horizontal output is shot. You can check that with a multimeter, center leg of output to each of the outside legs should not show shorted. I don't remember how a yoke will show on a multimeter, but you can't usually tell visually if they are bad. It is HIGHLY unusual for them to go bad though. Probably the toughest part they ever put on ANY tv.
Deepblue

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »

Thanks, The H.O.T is fine, I have HV but it's only about 8 kV and the SMPS is pulsing so I think it's overloaded.
The heater voltage is also very low or missing??

I don't where to search for the error now  Help
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »

Sounds like it could be a bad voltage regulator or a diode in the power supply or Horz circuits although if it was in the horz I'd expect the HOT to be bad. Flyback is a possible source also, but you'd expect arcing from it if that was the case although not always. I'd start by checking diodes and maybe look for capacitors that appear to be stressed in those circuits. The fact that it's pulsing to 8k volts means it's trying to start and shutting back down. These repeated attepts are probably what's warming up your power supply
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:26:48 PM »

Sounds like it could be a bad voltage regulator or a diode in the power supply or Horz circuits although if it was in the horz I'd expect the HOT to be bad. Flyback is a possible source also, but you'd expect arcing from it if that was the case although not always. I'd start by checking diodes and maybe look for capacitors that appear to be stressed in those circuits. The fact that it's pulsing to 8k volts means it's trying to start and shutting back down. These repeated attepts are probably what's warming up your power supply

Cowboy is on the right track....
The power supply USUALLY makes B+ by taking the AC line and multiplying it. 120 X 1.414 (RMS) and charging caps with that. If any of those dioes shorted (or opened) it will drop.
If the HOT does go bad (Shorted) it will pull the B+ down, But here is one a lot of people will miss.....
There are 2 or 3 diodes in SERIES that serve as a "Clamp" to prevent the high voltage from exceeding whats "Safe". They shunt the overvoltage to ground. When one or more of them fail, this will happen. It's a safety circuit.
* WARNING *  DO NOT substitute other diodes in this clamp! They are chosen to do this job carefully. If you use one too low, you wont get the voltage needed, if you use one too high it wont clamp anymore...
They are USUALLY 600 volt diodes (1N4004) is a common choice.
How to test?  Simply lift one leg of the string and fire it up. If it runs OK REPLACE THEM ALL!!!
Be careful in there, this line will be around 800-1200 volts.... it will kick your ass.....

WHY are they in there?  If you take a CRT and accelerate the voltage it will burn the screen and emit "X-Rays". This diode stack prevents that from happening.

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »

Kirk and Cowboy,  K+ to both of you. applause applause  Hail Hail

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Deepblue

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 05:06:39 AM »

Thanks all,
I will try this later today. Hope this solves the problem....
I''l get back to you with the results later
Deepblue

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 04:42:14 AM »

Something went wrong my my earlier post so I'll try to sum up....

----------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
Please help. I have a Tatung (possibly a VT 1440  Scratch Head) When I remove the deflection yoke, all the voltages are fine, but when I attach the yoke the power supply starts "oscillating" and the voltages drop.

I have measured the yoke and it is around 2.6 ohm on the vertical and 0.6 ohm on the horizontal   Scratch Head Scratch Head
This sounds a bit low to me?? but the yoke looks fine.
Anyone have any info or ideas on this?

The CRT is a Chunghwa A48AGY13X57 and it tests fine with the CRT tester.

Thanks, The H.O.T is fine, I have HV but it's only about 8 kV and the SMPS is pulsing so I think it's overloaded.
The heater voltage is also very low or missing??

I don't where to search for the error now   Help

Quote from: KirkLasVegas on Yesterday at 01:26:48 PM
Quote from: cowboygames on Yesterday at 01:10:59 PM

Cowboy is on the right track....
The power supply USUALLY makes B+ by taking the AC line and multiplying it. 120 X 1.414 (RMS) and charging caps with that. If any of those dioes shorted (or opened) it will drop.
If the HOT does go bad (Shorted) it will pull the B+ down, But here is one a lot of people will miss.....
There are 2 or 3 diodes in SERIES that serve as a "Clamp" to prevent the high voltage from exceeding whats "Safe". They shunt the overvoltage to ground. When one or more of them fail, this will happen. It's a safety circuit.
* WARNING *  DO NOT substitute other diodes in this clamp! They are chosen to do this job carefully. If you use one too low, you wont get the voltage needed, if you use one too high it wont clamp anymore...
They are USUALLY 600 volt diodes (1N4004) is a common choice.
How to test?  Simply lift one leg of the string and fire it up. If it runs OK REPLACE THEM ALL!!!
Be careful in there, this line will be around 800-1200 volts.... it will kick your ass.....

WHY are they in there?  If you take a CRT and accelerate the voltage it will burn the screen and emit "X-Rays". This diode stack prevents that from happening.

Kirk

I tried using your advice, but fell short when I wasn't able to find the diodes you talk about ???
I have attached the schematic I'm using. I found an annotated schematic someone has made, but it not helping me much at the moment either   knockout

I've tried lifting pin 8 of IC701 (Vertical IC) then the supply voltages are fine, I guess this means it's this IC ??? but how can I be sure??

I found a burnt resistor and capacitor (R636 and C870), replaced them, but nothing changed.

Checked both Q807 and Q808, but they are both fine ????

I'm really confused right now.....!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Still confused  Help

Unable to upload schematic, so here's a link

http://b.imagehost.org/0797/vs14428_annotated_schematic_diagram.jpg

http://d.imagehost.org/0570/Tatung_T-009_VT-1440S_VS-14428.jpg
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »

If you can lift the leg of the vertical out put and get the chassis to run allbiet having vertical collapse then it's 99% you've got a bad vertical output. Lift the leg and turn the power on. Look for a horizontal line across the middle of the screen, You may have to turn flyback output up to see it depending on what brightness was set at before it went bad. If it runs ok except for a lack of vvertical output then replace the output.
Deepblue

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »

If you can lift the leg of the vertical out put and get the chassis to run allbiet having vertical collapse then it's 99% you've got a bad vertical output. Lift the leg and turn the power on. Look for a horizontal line across the middle of the screen, You may have to turn flyback output up to see it depending on what brightness was set at before it went bad. If it runs ok except for a lack of vvertical output then replace the output.

Thanks, just tried it and I got a horizontal line  Hail

I'll just wait for the LA7838 I've ordered.... thanks a lot I'll get back with the results, when I get them  yes
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 01:26:02 PM »

Crap, I've probably got a 7838 in my diminishing pile of tv parts somewhere. While you're waiting for it be sure to check all resistors and diodes that feed it. You can check diodes in place by putting the leads of a multimeter across them one way then the other(cathode to anode then anode to cathode). Should check open one way and have .4 or .5 something reading the other. The 7838 was very common failure part, especially on Magnavox piece of crap sets in the middle to late 90s
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »

I was able to delete the offending post which opened up that thread again... I then went ahead and merged the posts together thinking that it may make for better continuity... If not send me a PM with any posts that should be deleted, or pruned or whatever. Scratch Head

There is some funny thing that happens in the software that is a mystery and it deals with quoting of posts, maybe multiple quotes.. It does not happen all of the time. I have had to fix this in the past before. It is usually not too easy to fix. Duh! Not sure why it happens, but here are some things people can do:

IF you are typing your post and have added quoted posts, try using the preview feature (I am paranoid about losing alot of typed content, so I try to remember to hilight my entire post, and then right click and select copy just in case! yes yes ) before posting... If you see a white blank page, just hit the back button in your browser and you should be back in the editing window.

There is a way to still make it work buy deleting some of the quote header information, I will let Statfreak garfield detail this as he played with that trick. Nerd

After that you can preview again... If you see your proposed post, then you are OK to proceed, if you see a white screen again, something is still weired out in the quotes.

Hope that htis helps explain the mystery a little... It is just a bandaid, but better than nothing!

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy
NLG ADMINISTRATOR

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
Deepblue

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 06:13:28 AM »

I tried replacing the vertical output IC, but it still wont start up  knockout

If I de-solder pin 12 (output) on IC701, I get the horizontal line. If I then connect pin 12, while the power in on, I get raster  Scratch Head but it wont start up by it self.....

can this be some sort of protection circuit not working as it should??? I'm really confused be this  Help
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »

One thing to check that you probably missed...

Many monitors power the vertical output section off of a tap from the flyback transformer. There's a resistor followed by a high speed rectifier diode in there (NOT a slow 1N4001, etc...) and a capacitor to smooth out the voltage.

If the cap and resistor you replaced are next to that diode then replace the diode. When they start leaking the cap will pop and the resistor will act as a fuse and burn.

Replace the diode and try it with the vert output ic in place.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Deepblue

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:47:22 AM »

Thanks,
I'll try that later today....
Deepblue

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »

YES I found the problem.... Tongue Out

It was a 2,7nF capacitor in the primary SMPS circuit. it's used for "measuring" the primary current in the transformer.
Changed it and now it works.....

Thanks for all your input guys +1 (Karma, or whatever)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.