Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:13:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Trickle charging for an MPU board battery
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trickle charging for an MPU board battery  (Read 4299 times)
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« on: January 06, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

I have the dreaded Bally 5000 that everyone loves to hate that I'm currently working on. Since I know they eat batteries, has anyone ever tried with success to set up a trickle charge type system to keep those batteries charged up? I see small solar panels online to keep auto batteries topped off so I just wondered if anyone has done something similar with a slot battery.
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »

While I have no knowledge of how this machine works, setting up a rechargeable battery system is very easy. All that needs to be done is add a a resistor and diode in line with the battery coming off of the 5V line. Assuming a 3V (rechargeable) backup battery, and a trickle charge of 10ma, one could put a 200 ohm resistor and diode from the +5V line to the battery positive terminal. The resistor will limit the current and the diode is to prevent the battery from discharging back into the system when powered off.

The key is knowing the rating of the rechargeable battery. the trickle charge should be usually be no more than 1/10 of the battery rating. For something like this, I would go even lower. the diode will also have a voltage drop, so that needs to be considered too.

The other option is to mount a regular battery in a holder where it is accessible and can be swapped out while the machine is powered up.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:32:56 PM by poppo » Logged
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »

Do we know that the 5000 series had battery issues? Scratch Head

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:07:04 AM »

Everyone has told me to stay away from the 5000 due to it eating batteries and its known power supply issues. Mine has a bad power supply but I found someone that has one so I'm just waiting on it before I move further on my machine.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:45:33 AM »

Everyone has told me to stay away from the 5000 due to it eating batteries and its known power supply issues. Mine has a bad power supply but I found someone that has one so I'm just waiting on it before I move further on my machine.

The 5500 eats batteries. I'm not sure that that's true for the 5000 or the 5000-plus machines. They are very different animals.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
RenePinkham
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:59:24 AM »

I have the dreaded Bally 5000 that everyone loves to hate that I'm currently working on. Since I know they eat batteries, has anyone ever tried with success to set up a trickle charge type system to keep those batteries charged up? I see small solar panels online to keep auto batteries topped off so I just wondered if anyone has done something similar with a slot battery.
It is effective portable charging system for sure..I have seen people using it and even I am thinking of purchasing it soon.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.