Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ Mother board
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ Mother board  (Read 4008 times)
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »

I bought another S+ the other day and the first picture is what the mother board looked like when I got it. Now you don't have to be a expert to see this is a problem that's going to happen. My fix is the second picture, I de-soldered all the connections and slid some shrink tube onto each wire. I considered going back to the standard wiring harness but it's always been a problem child with a S+. I kind of think the fellow had a good idea but didn't think of insulating the wires. I wish I had used smaller shrink tube but didn't feel like driving 50 miles round trip to get some. I can always redo it.

* PICT0309.sm.jpg (210.25 KB, 800x600 - viewed 310 times.)

* PICT0313.sm.jpg (217.92 KB, 800x600 - viewed 293 times.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:07:07 AM by Buzz » Logged

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »

Good job Buzz. Now it looks like something you don't have to be ashamed of.  Agree with Post
Ford
slots4home
Slots 4 Home
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 352

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »

Buzz,
i would have gave you a plug so you could have plugged it in.
But now it will never burn out.

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »

Nice Idea!

I think removing the connector and soldering the wires into the board might be best.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:45 PM »

Cry Laughing bust gut laughing rotflmao I love it! Absolutely LOVE it!
Great job Buzz!  applause Clap applause yes
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 02:33:06 AM »

Nice Idea!

I think removing the connector and soldering the wires into the board might be best.

I agree, yes at least once one has a problem with it. I wouldn't do it to a perfectly good machine, but Buzz has a good idea here. propeller  After all, how often have any of us needed to remove that connector (if it was working)?

The only other suggestion I have would be to remove the EEPROM and install a socket for it while the motherboard is on the bench. Then the motherboard and newly soldered harness should be good to go for a very long time, since the EEPROM could be moved with the MPU during kit changes or replaced if bad without having to remove the motherboard again.

BTW, I recognize that coffee mug!  Crazy bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:07:52 AM »

The only other suggestion I have would be to remove the EEPROM and install a socket for it while the motherboard is on the bench. Then the motherboard and newly soldered harness should be good to go for a very long time, since the EEPROM could be moved with the MPU during kit changes or replaced if bad without having to remove the motherboard again.

Or.... stir the pot / get cooking  http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=10615.0

BTW, that mod has been working great, as I've been swapping boards around left and right lately and everything stays intact.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:21:33 AM »

This wasn't my idea, I bought the machine with that mess in the first Pic. I could just see a coin falling down among those bare terminals. If that was my soldering job, I wouldn't show it to anyone !!!!!!!!!!  

Nice Idea!

I agree, yes at least once one has a problem with it. I wouldn't do it to a perfectly good machine, but Buzz has a good idea here. propeller  After all, how often have any of us needed to remove that connector (if it was working)?

Stat garfield

David   How many times has this power cord been addressed on this forum ?  If it ain't broke now, it's going to. I only have 3 more S+'s  think if the brown spot is showing on the plug I will do this mod. Mother board is super easy to remove from a S+. ( wish a S 2000 was that easy )

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:21 AM »

I've had my round top S+ for over 10 years and my other two S+ machines for about 7 years and never had a problem.

If I were refurbishing machines for resale and didn't want to have my customers coming back with this issue, I would solder every machine as a matter of course. As a home slot owner with working machines, I won't be rushing to remove the plugs until there is a reason to do so.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.