Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 12:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Connectors, candle hole in top boxes and hope you guys have a creative solution!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Connectors, candle hole in top boxes and hope you guys have a creative solution!  (Read 3096 times)
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 345

« on: February 04, 2011, 03:46:58 AM »

The problem, I would like to swap my top boxes easily.
When I want to swap them I have to disassemble the topper unplug and drop some of the wiring down into the top box for the spectrum display
Since the the Netplex connector (10 pin Mini-Fit Jr) will not fit through the candle hole.

Option A:
I was thinking I could get the connectors that are used for the netplex and power for the BV harness behind the BV.
I was thinking of using the same connectors for the candle as well.
I know I have to careful or risk damaging the spectrum if I accidentally plug the candle harness into it.

Option B:
Rent a tool from local tool rental place that will let me modify the top boxes with a rectangular hole, with the short sides front and back, long sides parallel with the sides of the machine.
The RT has a round hole and the 9" top has a square hole.

I like the idea of getting the black connectors and doing that.
But I want your opinions. my old vision ready back plane to door VFD harness is being used as the spectrum display harness I had to make one initially but i had to lengthen it when I got the RT box.
Since I had solid color wiring the proper size. I followed the VFD color codes but had to use single color insulation (ended up with 2 red and 2 blacks which could lead to a problem)
But when I upgraded the main harness from Vision Ready to S2000 harness thats when I decided to replace the homemade harness with the one from the VFD
The homemade harness was cut and lengthened when I got the RT box. It worked but looked ugly.

I cut the power leads at the Spectrum end from the the harness I made and stuck them into the power plug from old VFD harness.
To simplfy things I could have cut that connector off and spliced the wires. but getting the mating connector would be best.
The VFD and Spectrum harness at the devices are the same except the power. connectors at the spectrum.

I also know to make the swap quicker I will need to get some more spare parts and harnesses for the top box.

I would like to know what brand style etc are those connectors that part of the BV harnesses?

I just did the swap and it took me about 1 hour, of course I was being careful not to pinch or cross the power wires to the Spectrum and the Chaser lights.
That is jsut a bit too long to change the top box.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:00:34 AM by Foster » Logged

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »

As far as the hole goes, personally I would make the smaller one larger. Seems like the easiest way to go on that.
opman
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 74

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:08 PM »

On the 10 pin connector that go's to the netplex distribution board I cut the data wires for the spectrum display and add an 8 pin molex male and female connector to accomodate the 5 data wires. Then I  take the black and red wires that are your 13 volt power wires and hook them up to one side of a 4 pin male molex connector and plug it into the female 4 pin connector ( 13 volt side)  on the netplex distribution and all is good. If you want to remove your topper then all you have to do is unplug to harnesses.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »

I have 4 different top boxes for my S2000.
Each one is complete and ready for swapping as I'm changing kits all the time.

I'm considering running all the wires to one large Molex housing only so I only have
to unplug one single molex whenever I do a change.

Also, I use 4 thumbscrews for the topboxes where they attach to the main cabinet.
No screwdrivers needed!

A much better solution attaching topboxes would be some sort of a lip near
the front where you would slide the topbox slightly forward into it.
Sort of like in the way a reel slides back into it's holder.
Then a little window sash-cam latch on the back wall inside the topbox that that grabs the
cabinet and pulls the topbox down tight against the cabinet top!
Again, no screwdrivers or anything!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:14:24 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »

I like the idea of the Molex Mini-Fit Jr connectors.

I am thinking of using a 6 pin pair and the 4 pin that matches the 4 pin on the Dist board
I will use both the 25V and 13V, the Spectrum needs 13V and the Fluorescent Light needs the 25 just like the ones in the machine.

Now to plan for getting some spare parts so i do not have to swap stuff out.

One I did find out after getting the 9" top on and installing the Haywire Deluxe Glass I didnt have to work the glass out like I do with the RT.

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 12:27:58 AM »

Update:
I got 6 pin female, 4 pin male Mini-Fit Jr housings and male and female connectors.
I had to extract some pins from a 6 pin male housing that I had on hand.
I removed the pins with hex key and hammer.
I basically matched the location of the 5 Netplex wires in the 6 pin to the 10 pin locations.
I used the 4 pin male to power the Spectrum and Fluorescent light.

Now to find some wire ties and tidy up the wiring.

I am proud of the work I took to do this.

It takes just a few minutes or so to remove the topper and none of the wiring gets tangled

The candle connector is first in and last out when installing and removing the topper.
It wont clear unless the hole is empty.

Now for the bracket that holds the various connections at the back left of the machine I removed the connectors from the bracket.

Thanks guys for the ideas!!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:00:43 AM by Foster » Logged

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »

I was debating whether to post a picture or not

I decided to post one

* IMAG0075.jpg (1200.36 KB, 2592x1728 - viewed 235 times.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:49:57 AM by Foster » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.