Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:18:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  42 code
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 42 code  (Read 16283 times)
B-52BadByron
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« on: February 17, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »

I have a 42 code on a RW&B S+ machine.  I have changed the reel and I have also switched reel 1 and reel 2 wires and still have 42.  Anyone know a fix for this problem?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »

The [42] error should have been a [41] error code - if you switched reel#1 with reel#2.
Because the code didn't change when you switched reels -
the problem either with one of the harness connector pins or the MPU.

Try switching the reel#1 Molex connector to the 2nd reel and the #2 reel connector to the #1 reel
and see if the you get a code [41]

If not, then check the pins inside the Molex reel connectors
to see if any pins got pushed back into the housing.
I'd highly suspect the #2 reel Molex pins.

Do you have a spare MPU?
cademor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »

If you have switched reel 1 for reel 2 and persist erros 42 then your problem is posible wire or MPU but if erros changed erros 41 or 43 then your problem is reel sense optic or motor step step.
B-52BadByron
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »

I switched out the MPU and that fixed the problem.  Thanks
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »

I switched out the MPU and that fixed the problem.  Thanks

You solved one problem but you still have a bad MPU....  arrow
B-52BadByron
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »

I have 8 extras so no problem!
Inieas
Of all the things i have lost I miss my mind the most
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

Keeping the years down is hard, but staying young

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:14:04 AM »

Does anyone know how to repair the mpu in the case of continuous 41, 42, 43 Tilts? I hate just replacing hardware and not repairing it!

If I cant fix it, I will find a way or bug someone till they tell me how!
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »

Does anyone know how to repair the mpu in the case of continuous 41, 42, 43 Tilts? I hate just replacing hardware and not repairing it!

Check out the "S+ CPU 2" .pdf file attached to this post.  There's a good "1" and "3" .pdf file in that thread, too, but "2" addresses reel tilt issues.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
TZtech
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »

Most often its the stepper motor IC's as per Ozzys post - But before you replace these just confirm its not the optic side by doing a input test and moving the reel manually.
If it is the stepper IC you can steal one from the reel 4 and 5 position if you dont have any replacements - as long as You have a 3 reel chip machine wont mind.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »

I have an S2000 that had a Reel 1 Tilt error. I believe the SB chip failed the same way. So it's not just on the S+ platform. One hint: Don't turn the reels manually by hand when the machine is on! It might just error but in my friend's case, it fried the Stepper Base chip. His kid tried to line up the 3 Jackpot symbols and that's what happened.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »

One hint: Don't turn the reels manually by hand when the machine is on! It might just error but in my friend's case, it fried the Stepper Base chip. His kid tried to line up the 3 Jackpot symbols and that's what happened.

Stepper motors just like regular motors can also act like a generator. If turned slowly and just a bit, would probably not cause a problem. But if someone gives it a good spin, it can generate enough juice to fry the controller.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 12:11:42 AM »

One hint: Don't turn the reels manually by hand when the machine is on! It might just error but in my friend's case, it fried the Stepper Base chip. His kid tried to line up the 3 Jackpot symbols and that's what happened.

Stepper motors just like regular motors can also act like a generator. If turned slowly and just a bit, would probably not cause a problem. But if someone gives it a good spin, it can generate enough juice to fry the controller.

Wait a minute, if you have the power on, how are you going to give the reel a GOOD spin ??    Scratch Head Scratch Head 

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
poppo

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »

Wait a minute, if you have the power on, how are you going to give the reel a GOOD spin ??    Scratch Head Scratch Head 

Some stepper motors (like those used in slots) are not that strong. I've accidentally rubbed my arm against a reel and had it move fairly easily (and tilt of course). Now, I've built CNC machines with high torque steppers that are not going to budge under power. Point being is you can grab the reel and turn it fast enough for it to possibly do bad things.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 02:56:22 AM »

Well the SB chip is kaput...........because of what is described above. I truly believe that. On the S+ the reels "stiffen" up when the power is applied whereas on the S2000, they don't. (I Think).

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »

I doubt that spinning the reels on a S2000 can damage the Base chip normally.
I wont say it cant happen but I find it highly unlikely.
Spinning the reels would more likely damage logic that is connected to the stepper controllers, or reel optics.
IGT likes to use Opto Isolators when ever possible or feels the need to do so.

More likely that something was removed with the power on that caused the base chip to fail.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 03:56:40 AM »

Wait a minute, if you have the power on, how are you going to give the reel a GOOD spin ??    Scratch Head Scratch Head  

Some stepper motors (like those used in slots) are not that strong. I've accidentally rubbed my arm against a reel and had it move fairly easily (and tilt of course). Now, I've built CNC machines with high torque steppers that are not going to budge under power. Point being is you can grab the reel and turn it fast enough for it to possibly do bad things.

Mark  only two words need to be said " B S. " I'm not just going to believe something just because you say it so.  Try this, with the power off to one of your machines spin one of your reels as hard as you can. How many revolutions did it make ??  Bet you it didn't make one complete rev. more likely less than a half. Produce enough electricity to harm a base chip sure I'm really believing that one !! right

I'm not 100% sure on this statement, but I never heard of a electrical motor that will produce electricity, if it did it wouldn't be a motor it would be a generator. Now you can hook electricity to a generator and it will spin like  a motor ( that's how we use to test generators to see if they were good or bad)

Reed Yes S 2000 reels get stiff just like a S+

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 04:18:31 AM »

I'm not 100% sure on this statement, but I never heard of a electrical motor that will produce electricity, if it did it wouldn't be a motor it would be a generator. Now you can hook electricity to a generator and it will spin like  a motor ( that's how we use to test generators to see if they were good or bad)

Hey, Buzz, Mark is correct. yes

An electric motor can function as a generator, that's exactly the principal behind hybrid cars: The power unit functions as a motor running off the batteries to drive the car on acceleration, and functions as a generator to charge the batteries on deceleration. Nerd

You also proved this with your generator test above, you were applying power to the generator and it functioned as a motor.  applause

Thanks,
Bill
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »

DC motors with brushes can generate electricity but probably not as efficiently as a generator.
Due to how they are designed and made.

Stepper motors are AC devices, I doubt they can produce any electricity if they can it would be on the order of mV to maybe 1V.
They do not spin very much by hand with power applied. now with power off they will spin more freely.

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 06:04:06 AM »

Stepper motors are AC devices,

This is incorrect.

Stepper motors are DC devices which function by using a ferrous core in the rotor ( this can be a permanent magnet in the case of a PM stepper motor or a non-magnetic design in the case of a variable reluctance motor, or both can be used in the case of a hybrid stepper motor), and the rotor is moved by energizing stator windings in sequence. In the case of a variable reluctance motor, there will be no electricity produced if you spin the rotor, since there is no magnetic field present. Note that both the PM and hybrid steppers will generate electricity if you spin them, since you're rotating a magnet past electrical coils and we all know what happens when magnetic flux fields move past electrical conductors.

Here's a pretty good technical description of stepper motors and their functions:
http://www.engineersgarage.com/articles/stepper-motors

Thanks,
Bill
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 06:35:42 AM »

Actually I have read they are AC or DC (pulsing DC which is is really a form of AC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

According to the S+ MPU schematic they feed 24VAC to the TY40477 Stepper controllers.
Why would IGT do that if they are not AC

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:48:42 AM by Foster » Logged

poppo

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »

I agree that the only thing likely to be damaged is the stepper driver chip and to a lesser degree the optics circuit or drivers for back lit reels if equipped if the reel is unplugged/plugged in under power
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »

Actually I have read they are AC or DC (pulsing DC which is is really a form of AC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

According to the S+ MPU schematic they feed 24VAC to the TY40477 Stepper controllers.
Why would IGT do that if they are not AC

AC is defined as current flow that periodically reverses. DC NEVER reverses, pulsed or not. When DC is pulsed, it will go from 0 to some value either negative or positive, and back to 0.

I looked up a data sheet for the TY404 series stepper controller you mention above (http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/156973/RALTRON/TY4045AD3.html), the supply voltage is listed as 3.3 or 5v. You may want to revisit the schematic.

Thanks,
Bill
poppo

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »

AC is defined as current flow that periodically reverses. DC NEVER reverses, pulsed or not. When DC is pulsed, it will go from 0 to some value either negative or positive, and back to 0.

Well, if one really wants to get technical, AC is alternating current. Pulsed DC without a common ground reference would indeed be considered a form of AC. Many modified sine wave inverters work on this exact principal.
Inieas
Of all the things i have lost I miss my mind the most
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

Keeping the years down is hard, but staying young

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »

I have spun the reels on both the S Plus and S2000 machines on many occassions and never have i blown any components. This was with the power on. I do this when i clean reels optics and place a small piece of Cotton dabbed in non alcoholic cleanser on the inside of the reel to run through the optic.

If I cant fix it, I will find a way or bug someone till they tell me how!
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 12:19:27 AM »

Well, if one really wants to get technical, AC is alternating current. Pulsed DC without a common ground reference would indeed be considered a form of AC. Many modified sine wave inverters work on this exact principal.

Show your waveform.

Thanks,
Bill
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.