Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:20:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  42 code
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 42 code  (Read 16289 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 12:45:15 AM »

Show your waveform.

Pretty basic stuff. I built an inverter out of spare parts 20 years ago. DC in - AC out. No common ground so the amplified output is AC. The originating sqare wave would go from 0V to 12V (or whatever your input voltage is). Even if it did not go through a step up transformer for isolation, the sqare wave would still be 12V AC across the output (i.e. measured with a non grounded meter).

* Modified sine-wave.PNG (22.11 KB, 388x261 - viewed 415 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:53:16 AM by poppo » Logged
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 02:39:35 AM »

I'm disappointed you fell for that. Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

That's a voltage waveform. Before you can have a technical discussion about electricity, you need to understand the difference between voltage and current.

Thanks,
Bill
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 02:40:33 AM »

OK, but we have not pinned down the answer: Does spinning the reels when the machine is on ruin anything or not?

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 02:42:51 AM »

OK, but we have not pinned down the answer: Does spinning the reels when the machine is on ruin anything or not?

If I hook it up to the engine in my motorcycle and spin it at 13000 rpm, I can guarantee it will ruin something... propeller yes stir the pot / get cooking

Thanks,
Bill
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 06:29:38 AM »

Is it normal for a reel being spun by hand with power applied to cause a Base Chip, Game Chip, Version Chip, SP or SS chip to fail no way.
Can it happen yeah but not very likely.

I think the Base chip just happened to fail either at the time the reels where moved by hand or afterwords.
Anything man made will fail or breakdown eventually.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
poppo

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »

I'm disappointed you fell for that. Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

That's a voltage waveform. Before you can have a technical discussion about electricity, you need to understand the difference between voltage and current.

I'm not going to get into an argument about this, but I was an electronics instructor in the military for many years. Voltage and current have a direct relationship. Simply put, if you put a load on the output you will be drawing current I=E/R. The amount of current of course will depend on the design. This is basic electronics.

Here is a very simple inverter design. The source is 12V DC. The Q1 & Q2 oscillate at a frequency depending upon the RC network used. The resulting waveform (more of a sine wave in this case) will vary between 0V and 12V. This gives you an AC voltage across the primary of T1. So even if you did not use the secondary winding, there is still an AC current flow through the primary. The transformer steps up the voltage (and reduces the current) and you now have 120V AC on the secondary. The same can be done using a square wave but depending on the frequency, the primary winding may overheat. Hence the use of modified sine waves in most common inverter designs.

* inverter.jpg (18.7 KB, 344x280 - viewed 473 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:01:54 AM by poppo » Logged
poppo

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »

And to simplify it even further, here is a simple square wave (pulsed DC) at 60Hz. Assuming a 12 ohm load is connected to this, during the rise time from 0v to 12V you will draw increasing current across the resistor until it peaks at 1 amp (I=E/R). During the fall time back to 0V that current will decrease to 0 amps. Hence you have alternating current (AC). The only difference between a square wave and a sine wave is the square wave has a faster rize time and will stay at it's peak current and zero current levels longer. Increase the square wave (pulse) frequency enough, and the difference becomes negligable (which is the basic concept used in a switcher power supply). 

alternating current (AC)
Flow of electric charge that reverses periodically, unlike direct current. It starts from zero, grows to a maximum, decreases to zero, reverses, reaches a maximum in the opposite direction, returns again to zero, and repeats the cycle indefinitely.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Alternating+Current

Can't make it any simpler than that.   wave

* square-wave.jpg (13.82 KB, 620x200 - viewed 438 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:51:51 AM by poppo » Logged
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »

And to simplify it even further, here is a simple square wave (pulsed DC) at 60Hz. Assuming a 12 ohm load is connected to this, during the rise time from 0v to 12V you will draw increasing current across the resistor until it peaks at 1 amp (I=E/R). During the fall time back to 0V that current will decrease to 0 amps. Hence you have alternating current (AC). The only difference between a square wave and a sine wave is the square wave has a faster rize time and will stay at it's peak current and zero current levels longer. Increase the square wave (pulse) frequency enough, and the difference becomes negligable (which is the basic concept used in a switcher power supply). 

alternating current (AC)
Flow of electric charge that reverses periodically, unlike direct current. It starts from zero, grows to a maximum, decreases to zero, reverses, reaches a maximum in the opposite direction, returns again to zero, and repeats the cycle indefinitely.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Alternating+Current

Can't make it any simpler than that.   wave

Mark, you're right. You can't make it any simpler than that, and I see where you're making your error.   Tongue Out

The current flow must REVERSE, not simply drop to 0, in order to be alternating current. You state in your example that since current flow drops to 0 that the criteria for AC has been met, but it has not according to the definition you reference.

<edit>

Don't get caught up in thinking the waveform shape itself has anything to do with whether it is AC or not. Sine, square, modified sine, sawtooth, etc., matters not one bit, it is simply the direction of current flow that is the determining factor.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:36:17 PM by brichter » Logged

Thanks,
Bill
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »

Are audio signals considered AC, yes

Then Ponder this: In the simplest AM radio they use a diode to detect the Audio portion.

I can guarantee that that audio is not crossing 0 but is still considered AC.

poppo

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »

The current flow must REVERSE, not simply drop to 0, in order to be alternating current. You state in your example that since current flow drops to 0 that the criteria for AC has been met, but it has not according to the definition you reference.

face in palm

It does reverse. If one were to take a 12V battery and generate a square wave (or sine wave), then you would indeed have AC measured across the output. This is the fundamental reason inverters work. All of the criteria has been met.

But here is proof. I set up my signal gen to produce a square wave with a zero volt reference. Put it on my scope and then measured the AC voltage across it with my Fluke (which has no common zero reference). Factoring RMS, it's right on the money. And even if it did have a common ground, it would still be AC. AC does not have to go below ground (zero) to be defined as alternating current. As long as the current rises and falls - by definition it is AC. If I would have put a resistor or inductor or whatever across those leads the current would indeed be reversing as far as the component is concerned. The 'zero' point would be 1/2 of whatever the peak to peak of the signal is.  

But this is getting way off topic and I'm not going to keep trying to explain basic electronics. I've been doing this for too long. Tongue Out

edit - Foster makes a good point. If I were to connect this signal to a speaker (which is current driven) it would hum along just fine as the coil would need AC to work.

* test.jpg (261.3 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 376 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:10:02 PM by poppo » Logged
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »

Are audio signals considered AC, yes

Then Ponder this: In the simplest AM radio they use a diode to detect the Audio portion.

I can guarantee that that audio is not crossing 0 but is still considered AC.

Your mistake lies in the fact that you state audio waveforms are AC (which is correct), but it is not correct to state that ALL audio waveforms are AC.

Just so we're clear on this, take a look at
http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ee321/spring00/lab3.pdf

Look at the waveform after the diode in Fig. 3.4, you'll plainly see that it is a DC waveform that is input to the earphone, and even though it is DC, it is perfectly capable of driving the earphone.

Thanks,
Bill
poppo

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »

Your mistake lies in the fact that you state audio waveforms are AC (which is correct), but it is not correct to state that ALL audio waveforms are AC.

They have to be AC or the speaker coil would not work. You keep confusing ground reference for some reason as part of the criteria when it's not.  banghead I could take that signal I showed above, stick two 100K ohm resistors in series across it and use the tie point as 'zero'. I would then have a signal going positive and negative in relationship to that point. That didn't make it any more or less AC then it started.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:24:45 PM by poppo » Logged
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »

Anything man made will fail or breakdown eventually.

Except Twinkies.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »

You are  stir the pot / get cooking  Cry Laughing

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.