Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 01:10:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ JP Reset and Test Button Stopped Working
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ JP Reset and Test Button Stopped Working  (Read 6822 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: December 07, 2008, 08:52:28 PM »

Greetings.  I just sold a S+ machine to someone and while it was working well when I had it and for the first day or so at his place, he's now reporting that the jackpot reset key and the self test button aren't working (no reaction from the machine when they're used).  From walking through some stuff on the phone, it sounds like the machine is otherwise working normally.

I looked on my machine and saw that the wiring for those runs to the same bunch of wires, but I can't determine where they go (either into the CPU harnesses or into the mother board, and exactly where).  It seems to me like there's a loose/bad connection somewhere.  Does anyone know where those wires go to so I can check for a bad connection?   Help

Thanks.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Ozzy
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 254

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »

hope this helps, there are a few plugs that you will need to check that are common to both functions on the machine

cheers

O Z Z Y

* x.pdf (44.76 KB - downloaded 199 times.)
Frank A
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 50

Pinball & Sailing

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »

Is it possible that this is affected by a bad ( not blown )  fuse or corrosion on the fuse holder ? If a fuse doesn't blow all the way on one of my pin games, it has an affect on the game play. When I change to a new fuse the situation sometimes corrects itself. It almost seems that the fuse only allows partial current thru ? It doesn't seem possible, but that has happened several times on my Gottlieb ga :103-mes.

Frank A
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »

Our S+'s should only be using QUICK BLOW fuses. They should not be using slowblow auto fuses.
I'm leaning towards the idea that they still have credits on the machine, perhaps?
It has a great impact on the "test" switch options.
If there's credits on the machine, you cannot enable any options.

However, having said this, that wouldnt normally affect the reset key.
Maybe he turned the reset key too hard , rotated it and broke the inside mechanisms that actually contacts and closes the reset key circuit?
The reset key insides can break really easily if you force the key too much clockwise.

Can he remove the reset key nut, remove the key tumbler, extend the wires thru the hole, close the door, and touch the two wires together.... to see if he can get into accounting mode?

Finally, if none of this works, I'll bet money that he somehow was curious about the PCB board, maybe removing it from the motherboard while the power was still on...or worse yet, sticking it back in and bending the motherboard pins and shorting out stuff....that would just about destroy that little 8-pin chip on the motherboard.
I'm suspecting that he/she is not telling you everything....especially if they are first time machine owners.
You need a lot more details in order to help them better.
It's very rare that both these switches stop working for apparently no reason at all.
I remember a topic not too long ago where a son was digging around up behind the slot handle and accidently made one of the connectors come off somehow.....they had put up a post about the handle only working intermittently...lol...everytime they pulled the handle and shook the machine, the connector would sometimes touch and spin the reels...other times it wouldnt.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:10:35 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 01:57:56 AM »

After tracing wires and taking coins out of the power supply and who knows what else, I still had no love.  As a last gasp before coming back to here, I tried swapping out the CPU board with a known good one.  Lo and behold, it worked.   Duh!  I should have tried that before I traced wires for an hour!

Anyway, I'll take a closer look at the old CPU board to see if I can see anything.  Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions (and to Ozzy for taking the time to make that pdf).

-Kevin

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 03:22:50 AM »

I wish I knew how to test those "U" components on PCB boards that Ozzy pointed out...
Those IGT repair and trouble shooting manuals are awesome!
I need to take a crash electronics class Tongue Out
Glad you got it up and running again! 
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:58:09 AM »

I wish I knew how to test those "U" components on PCB boards that Ozzy pointed out...

I'm with you -- I'm no electrical engineer or slot tech -- just a guy who knows more about these than the average Joe.

As far as the game in question, there may be more to the story.  The handle was broken -- I found part of the guts of the handle sheared off inside the rachet mechanism, and it no longer works (the part that came off was the part that would reach down and touch the microswitch when the handle was pulled down).  The handle did work when it left my house, so they must have broken it in transit -- I don't know if they dropped the machine, or tried to lift it by the handle, or what.

Regardless, I have a few spare working CPU boards, so it wasn't a big deal to do a housecall and replace it for free.  If he calls me in six months, I'm charging him for it, but in this case where it went bad one day after I sold it, I'm willing to take the hit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:07:46 AM by knagl » Logged

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:28:37 PM »

Just for the heck of it, did you try his old board in one of your good test machines?
To see if YOUR machine has the same problem his had?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »

I haven't gotten that far yet.  ...and with a bunch of spare boards available, I'm not in a rush to try it.  Smiley

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 02:28:55 AM »

[ The handle did work when it left my house, so they must have broken it in transit -- I don't know if they dropped the machine, or tried to lift it by the handle, or what.

$5 says they used it as a handle to lift it...  arrow arrow

Thanks,
Bill
idylewild1
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 140

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »

I've seen this happen if an old IGT S processor module is put into a S+ machine. The machine plays normal however some of the swithches won't work. Just a thought.

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »

The machine was working fine when it left my house, and even worked for the first day at his house.  Hopefully it was just a fluke and that something on the CPU board picked that day to fry.

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »

Now would be a good time to tell the purchaser to invest in a good surge protector. Most noobs don't think of that because they don't think of their new slot as a computer.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:38 AM »

Now would be a good time to tell the purchaser to invest in a good surge protector. Most noobs don't think of that because they don't think of their new slot as a computer.

Indeed.  I told him that as he was taking the machine away, and told him that after I replaced the board.  Hopefully he'll listen!   arrow

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.