Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  Hard Drive backup problem. I/O error???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard Drive backup problem. I/O error???  (Read 6669 times)
Forrhouse
Manufacturing Equipment & Parts to Keep Slots that are No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer running.
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 252

Life is too short, live, love and have a good time

« on: May 08, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »

I was trying to make a backup of my hard drive last night.  I wanted to make a disk image, .vhd, using win image running in the pro mode.  The drive has several partitions on it and I want all of them to be included in the image.  The process gets to about 54% and then then win-image gives me an I/O error at, and then it gives me the address of the error. I did the same process that I always do and which I have never had a problem with.  Here is the process: I opened win zip, went to the Disk menu and then selected Create virtual hard disk image from physical hard drive.  
The window pops up with the sizes of the hard drives that it finds connected to my computer. I find my hard drive and I select it.  At the bottom left of this window I select Create fixed size virtual hard disk.  I then click ok. Another window pops up and asks me to name the disk image.  I name it and press ok and it starts to make the disk image.
My hard drive is from a laptop and is connected externally via usb.  It is an ATA drive, not SATA.  I am using Windows XP SP3. The are no other programs running.  Win-Image is version 8.1.
USB Cable is securely connected at both ends as is the internal connection to the hard drive inside the usb enclosure.
Anybody have any ideas as to whats going on?

Any help is much appreciated.
E~
poppo
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:10:20 PM »

Might try running scandisk (with fix everything) on the drive first. I use Ghost for imaging and sometimes it won't complete if it runs into a disk error.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »

Also, make seperate images for each partition/drive.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
poppo

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:00:29 AM »

Also, make seperate images for each partition/drive.

He can try that, but he said it worked always fine before. So the question is - what changed?
danw
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:29 AM »

That usually happens when the program hits a bad sector on the hard drive.  Is there an ignore bad sectors option on WinZip?  I know Ghost has that option and I'm sure a lot of other programs do.  It will leave you with a bad file or two on the restore, but chances are, they are gone anyway...
Forrhouse
Manufacturing Equipment & Parts to Keep Slots that are No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer running.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:30:27 AM »

There is only a retry button, a cancel, and  an Abort button on the error screen.  As far as the ignore bad sectors option, I will have to check that out.

I own ghost 7.0, but have never used it. Can somebody tell me what the steps are to make a disk image of the entire hard drive image including all partitions?
Is tere a better format the .vhd to save the image as?
Thanks,
Eric
Forrhouse

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

The 3 partitions can be seen in windows Explorer.  There are skip and a skip all buttons that allow you to skip 1 or multiple errors and which allows the image to continue on being made.  I tried both of these, but the image still hangs at 54%.  The I/0 error is# 1117.  I tried using scan disk on each of the partitions, but it still gives me the I/0 error # 1117.  I am going to try it on another computer. If it comes up with the same error than it the problem is with the drive.  If it doesn't come up with the error then it's the motherboard in the initial computer that I used, specifically the USB buss.  Anybody else have any other ideas?

Thanks,
E~
poppo

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »

USB drives can be finicky (especially cheap interfaces). I've had problems copying very large files (would get a 'can not write' error). But since you said it had worked before, I figured the drive/interface was ok. I'm talking about the USB interface on the external drive.
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »

Error 1117 is usually caused by corrupt registry entries.

Corrupt registry entries can point Windows in the wrong direction when it looks for important system files.

Scratch Head

One step at a time.
poppo

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »

Still looks like a bad spot on the drive.

http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1691
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.