Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  What do you think of Firefox 4.0.1?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think of Firefox 4.0.1?  (Read 7977 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:35 AM »

Has anyone else upgraded Firefox yet?

I had a brain fart and clicked "yes" to the upgrade before thinking. Duh!   arrow

If you haven't upgraded, I suggest waiting until some of the kinks are worked out. If you have...

(Then you can post back asking where the tools menu is -- after you've digested all of the other major changes. )  The answer is: The tool menu simply isn't, unless you opt to display the old menu bar and abandon the new drop down style. hissy fit  Maybe they'll fix it in 4.0.2  Scratch Head 2  stir the pot / get cooking loser

At least they gave me the option of putting the tabs below the navigation text box where I prefer them. Tongue Out They took away the status bar, too, but mine remained because it's technically called an "add on" bar now; however, the url of hovered and clicked-on links now displays above the add on bar instead of inside of it, often blocking my view of other things.

What is it with engineers? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  frying pan

Okay, in all fairness, it is potentially a better design layout than V3, but they have some issues to work out. yes

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »

I went to upper L corner & R clicked & got to add & got my tool bar.
Ford
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »

here's what it looks like.
Ford

* 100_0507.JPG (823.15 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 431 times.)
slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »

thanks for the heads up on the new version stat

@fordsbs - i see you are running avg, i checked the forum and no resolution yet.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=159889
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »

thanks for the heads up on the new version stat

@fordsbs - i see you are running avg, i checked the forum and no resolution yet.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=159889

I'm running AVG 10.0.1375.  It works for me.
Ford
StatFreak

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »

I went to upper L corner & R clicked & got to add & got my tool bar.
Ford

Not the menu bar, the tools menu. You can see it in your picture within the menu bar. It's the drop down menu option just to the left of the help menu drop down menu option.

Try going back to the default setup: i.e., hide the menu bar. You will then have a single Firefox button in the upper left corner. It's supposed to replace the menu bar with an expandable drop down menu. I'll give you $10 if you can find the tools MENU in there WITHOUT making the menu bar visible. I'll concede that it's possible that my problem is related to the operating system being used (I'm still on Win-XP).

* Firefox. Old tools menu.jpg (146.98 KB, 479x435 - viewed 426 times.)

* Firefox 4.New expandable menu.jpg (82.38 KB, 335x411 - viewed 441 times.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:51:28 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »

Basically, they've scattered the built-in options from the tools menu to other locations and left the plug-in designers to twist in the wind.

Downloads, Add-ons, The DOM inspector, Web console, Start private browsing, Error console, and Options are available in new locations.

Page info and all of the add-on options and sub-menus are gone. You can get to Page info by right clicking somewhere on the page. but then you could always do that.

* Firefox 4.Web Developer Submenu.jpg (99.3 KB, 361x401 - viewed 399 times.)

* Firefox 4.Options Submenu.jpg (125.71 KB, 475x413 - viewed 429 times.)

StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »

Maybe they'll add on an "add-on" menu to the new style if enough designers and users complain. Scratch Head 2 Scratch Head 3  frying pan

Another tip: The bookmarks button with the drop-down combo on the navigation toolbar disappears when you make the bookmarks toolbar visible. It is replaced with a button on the far right of the bookmarks toolbar. It makes sense, but it can be confusing.

<ADD> Oh, and did I mention that the pages load slower with the new version? knockout  Of course, I do have an older computer. Shame on me for not keeping up with the Jones' and buying a six-core i7 processor with 16GB of RAM.  Spank

Things I like about the new Firefox:
   The smaller footprint (more space for the web pages). If they would add a new group in the "hidden" menu for add-on options & sub-menus, I could actually take advantage of the new design. Duh!
   Integrating the stop and refresh buttons. After all, they are never needed simultaneously.
   Umm... Scratch Head  give me a minute. I'll think of something. Crazy bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:15:18 PM by StatFreak » Logged

Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »

I let it download and install without thinking also. It took me a while to work out how to refresh the page and how to back up in the page history, but what you're used to is always what you think is best, and I'm used to it now. Thanks for telling me how to get the add-on bar back - I missed that.

Ozzy
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 254

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »

Tried it for an hour then uninstalled and went back to the old version, crock of @$%& if you ask me.

O Z Z Y
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »

Tried it for an hour then uninstalled and went back to the old version, crock of @$%& if you ask me.

O Z Z Y

rotflmao
Good old OZZY....Blunt and to the point!!!  bust gut laughing
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »

what a mess - I am on an IMAC  - response times for various sites might as well have dialup.   Safari works fine
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 11:28:48 PM »

Firefox seems fine on my Mac Pro.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 07:44:04 AM »

again - only have issues accessing certain sites -  my error log shows lots of errors - while Safari works for those same sites.   
StatFreak

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 02:35:49 AM »

WOW, This has to be some sort of record. FireFLUX 4 barely lasted a month!  Silly Me!

I just got a pop up message requesting that I upgrade to Firefox 5.0 !   loser Help

Anyone else gotten this cute message yet? Scratch Head 2 

To those intrepid suck --er, "souls" who take the plunge right away, please report back to the rest of us chicke --uh, "prudent" members about your experience with the current FFFoMo (FireFox Flavor of the Month). bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

This time, I'll wait for it to come out on DVD. Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Stat garfield

FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »

you must be the lucky BETA TESTER for 5.0  - I haven't been notified - I am using GOOGLE CHROME and it is better than SAFARI and obviously FIREFOX - I doubt I will go to 5.0 6.0 or WINDOWS 9!!!
StatFreak

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »

Nope, I'm not a beta tester, just an ordinary slob like the rest of the 100 million. arrow
"v.5.0, offered to release channel users on June 21st, 2011"

I really liked what I saw of chrome when I tried it at a friend's house, but it looked like it would require more computing power than I have to run effectively.

My laptop is over 5 years old and my processor gets overloaded on a regular basis nowadays, due to a combination of the sloppy, inefficient coding techniques and more intense graphic processing requirements of today's programs. When browsing, Adobe products and javascript objects are the most egregious offenders, but Firefox itself seems to use few resources.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.