Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:17:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  Aristocrat Video Gaming Machines
| | |-+  Running Mark 5/6 software.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Running Mark 5/6 software.  (Read 3951 times)
t4799
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« on: May 24, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »

I have a few questions about running mark 5/6 software, and software in general:
Is it possible to run Aussie software in US machines with an extended IO board? I assume the plugs for the Driver and Comms boards are in a slightly different place on the US back plane.
If the back-plane is replaced is there some way of getting the machine to play without a Comms board?
Regarding US Show programs, is it possible to force a feature without accessing the Combination test or waiting for one to appear?
With Aussie software is there a way to make an ordinary game into a show program, perhaps by using US set chips?
lovepokies33

Total Karma Storms: 7

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »

Hello there,

"Is it possible to run Aussie software in US machines with an extended IO board? I assume the plugs for the Driver and Comms boards are in a slightly different place on the US back plane."

The short answer for mark5 is NO, don't bother.
However With mark6, yes you can get USA games to work on AU hardware easy enough, I have not tried the other way around but a friend has, the only issues are with the bill acceptor and coin mechs might be a bit fiddley, plus a few other odds and ends that can be resolved quite easily. All that aside, the buttons are oppsite and USA games require touch screens.

But back to Mark5, Mark5 has too many 'things' to make it hard to interchange around from AU & USA platform. One of the main problems is the actual motherboards have various differences that simply stop the games from either booting up or failing at post (if you run AU game on USA board or vise versa). This is purley the motherboards. With the backplanes, AU and USA are just layed out differently and the plugs/pinouts are arranged differently too, so this can be bad so don't just assume a loom will work if it 'fits'. The USA (as you know) have an all in one 'DRIVER/COMMS' these in theory while different 'should' still work but I suspect the AU games would have some sort of error, particullay the termination of P1, P2, P3, etc. Although there might be dips on the USA boards to sort this.

"If the back-plane is replaced is there some way of getting the machine to play without a Comms board?"

AU mark5 games NEED a comms board (I assume you mean driver also as this is critical, funny enough the game will bootup but have heaps of lockup errors) otherwise it will have an error on bootup and keep rebooting, if you went to all the effort to change the backplane AND THE MAINBOARD to an aussie version "then" you may as well get a comms board, they retail for less than $100 these days. - The alternative is to run NZ (New Zealand) mark5 games, these are actually the same as AU however, they don't require a Comms boad installed so they will work. Funny enough if you do install one, they have a big fit with flickering error text on the screen and it just reboots constantly. The problem with NZ games is they are crappy and crippled due to their laws, so the max bet is generally $2 and the max win is $500 CAP with terrible low pay tables.

"Regarding US Show programs, is it possible to force a feature without accessing the Combination test or waiting for one to appear?"

Most show programs have a little trick to trigger the feature, someone else might know this, it's usually the RESET/JACKPOT KEY and the AUDIT KEY turned (or pressed if you modded the keys) at once, I have not tried this, but the next spin triggers this, also I think there is a way of inserting 'credit' this way also, again someone else might know!

"With Aussie software is there a way to make an ordinary game into a show program, perhaps by using US set chips?"

NO. - The game is either a show program designed to demo the machine in the sales floor or trade show OR it's a normal release.

Aussie/NZ games DO NOT require 'set chips' this is purley a USA/Export thing because of all the different states and laws with max wins, max bets, note acceptors etc etc. Generally Aussie games that are playable are NSW/ACT only because they run as a standalone.

Have fun!

laneman
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 55

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:23 PM »

Thanks for explaining it all.

As soon as I get a fix for either the coin mech or bill validator I think the Aussie software will run in a USA machine.
t4799

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:52:33 AM »

Thanks for the information. I have got two US programs to work on my machine, that being Wicked Winnings II and Penguin Pays. The reason why I was asking is because I was thinking of changing the screen to a LCD screen which would be much clearer than the current one. I have found one which works with Aristocrat machines, however to get it working I will need to change the back plane.

I have tested Penguin Pays as a US Show program. Coins can be added by either flicking the audit key ($100) or pressing the service key ($10). I think the take win key also gives credits. The feature can only be triggered by one of three ways, either in the combination test, waiting for the feature, or by flicking the jackpot key whilst pressing Gamble. Unfortunately I haven't been able to work out how I can get it to work on anything other than 20 credits which is maximum lines, but minimum bet.

Wicked Winnings II won't work as a show program as there is no gamble in my particular game version. Therefore the static ram can't be reset.
lovepokies33

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:29:41 AM »

Hmm ok so do you have a AU or USA machine?

What do you want to run more, Mark5 or Mark6?

I would not bother with mark5 personally, stick to running what every platfrom you have ie, USA.

An LCD Screen 'can' look clearer but often a new or high quality CRT looks better as the graphics is only 640x480 for Mark6 or 640x400 Mark5 (mind you mark5 looks very grainy on LCD as it's also only 256 colours).

Hmm, you don't need to change the backplane for any screen, the current plugs are only VGA so you can quite easily make the cable to suit, you only need R,G,B,Hsync,Vsync,1 ground. If you are talking about getting a touch screen to run, all backplanes (even old Mark5 series1 from 1994) actually have the serial ports for the touch screen some where, I can find this for you, but if you look in the manual you can easily find it, it only uses 3 pins, 2+/- 1gnd.

Hmm, I don't quite understand what you mean with the "...there is no gamble in my particular game version. Therefore the static ram can't be reset." If you can't reset the static ram then you don't have a playable game fullstop.. when you say there is no reserve, the buttons can be 'mapped' differently, but at the end of the day there is either 14 or 16 buttons on the hardware, so one of them WILL work as a reserve I promise. Often $1 games move things around but if you just go through each button you'll find what the 'reserve' is. Otherwise rip off the loom and find a nice big paper clip Smiley

Cya!

t4799

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »

Yes it is an Aussie machine with an old Ceronix touch screen which sometimes gets very blurry. The back plane would need to be changed for a LCD touch screen because the current back plane does not have the correct port for the new monitor.

I have a two American games, both work, but Wicked Winnings II cannot be run as a show program.
lovepokies33

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »

It's up to you, I personally would keep it as Aussie as I know they run USA MK6 games fine. Also AU games are simple to setup, no set chips and mucking around, can take a few seconds to get it running.

Chaning the backplane for a touch screen controller is nonsense, backplanes 'might' have a few spare 5.5v rails, but the power for the 3M Touch controllor is only 5.5V OR 12V. Most 3M controllors have dual inputs but what ever you do NEVER put 12v on the little input that's intergrated with the serial plug end as that only supports 5.5v. The 12v free wires usually connect to the monitors internal 12v. It also depends on if the machine is a hacked upgrade or factory. Either way there are lot's of ways of getting 5.5v to your touch controller.

Actually, if you are talking about upgrading to an LCD screen, then get a proper Ceronix LCD with touch. - Although expensive, these are designed for these machines and the screen is factory installed with the touch glass imbedded as part of the design, all you need is the serial wires and a standard 240v (or 110v if you are in the USA) plug. Cinch! -  Otherwise if you get a seperate LCD then put the touch glass panel ontop it's normally a bit clunky and not recommeneded.

Also another point is the plastic bezel's that make the door flush with the screen won't don't line up as it's designed for the bottle ceronix, so you''ll also have to get a conversion (if you want anyway).

Just wondering with your last question, "...Wicked Winnings II cannot be run as a show program." ?

Cya!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.