Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 08:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  IGT S+ Slant Top Needs Some Fix'n
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT S+ Slant Top Needs Some Fix'n  (Read 32855 times)
GSD Dan
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« on: June 03, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »

Hello All,
As mentioned in the Welcome Wagon, I'm new. I bought a 1996 slant top from a neighbor that has some issues, burned MPU board, broken award display glass, broken buttons, and dirty. The board was burned through in an attempt to change a chip. I would like to convert it to a new game anyway. Currently a triple triple diamond. Below are my unit's specifics:

Model: GC36CFI
MFG: 3/96
MPU Board: 75505704 Rev B 1096 GTC 10mhz

Will a different MPU board work in this unit or are they model specific? Is there somewhere to send it out for examination and repair? I can't seem to locate one on the web. Also, do conversion kits come with new MPU boards and game chip? I've always wanted my own game and now I got one. Hopefully I'll be able to play it some time soon.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:36:02 PM by GSD Dan » Logged
Ohio Chad

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:52:21 PM »

Your boards for S+ machines are some what universal.  The dilemma you will face is your game prom and/or reel prom chips.  These S+ CPU's are pretty durable, your main issues on a slant top are going to be your door optics, I have handled some sit down units with 4 door optics and they can be deceiving.  What game is it that you would like for it to be?  I would be happy to test your board for you.
Good Luck,
Chad
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »

Will a different MPU board work in this unit or are they model specific? Is there somewhere to send it out for examination and repair? I can't seem to locate one on the web. Also, do conversion kits come with new MPU boards and game chip?

Pictures of what you have always helps for identification.

Typically all you need for a game change are the reel and game chip (maybe not a game chip if it's the same type)
Reel strips and glass.
SET chip to enable BV

Oddly there is only one S+ MPU on eBay right now. Usually there are several. You should be able to find one for <$30 shipped.
GSD Dan

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »

Quick update:

I foung a new mpu board and new buttons from one of the fine vendors listed on this site. I'll stick with this game for the time being. Just have to find the glass. I guessing there isn't too many available.
poppo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »

Just have to find the glass. I guessing there isn't too many available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRIPLE-DIAMOND-3-COIN-IGT-SLANT-TOP-SLOT-GLASS-/370391147479
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »

If you kept it a Triple Triple Diamond I have that Award Glass as well as the Regular Triple Diamond, hell almost all Slant Top Award Glass (for Slants with Factory BV in Top Box)

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
GSD Dan

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »

Holy crap! Hook me up. I'd love to keep it triplle triple.
This is the last part I need. If you're willing to let it go, how would you like to handle the details?
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »

Holy crap! Hook me up. I'd love to keep it triplle triple.
This is the last part I need. If you're willing to let it go, how would you like to handle the details?

Is it a 2 or 3 Coin Trip. Trip Dia? PM sent

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
GSD Dan

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »

2 coin trip trip diamond.
poppo

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:20:07 PM »

Oops, I didn't see that it was a triple triple.  Duh!
GSD Dan

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »

I've never been in such a helpful forum. Thanks everyone.
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 17

An Addiction:)

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 12:13:45 AM »

I've never been in such a helpful forum. Thanks everyone.

Its a Great Forum full of GREAT members!  Unlike other national forums I belong to, that will remain unnamed.... Did I mention I collect pinball and arcade games..hint hint...
GSD Dan

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 12:22:32 AM »

Alright folks,

My machine is strickly home use
I got my MPU board in for my 1996 IGT S+ slant top (2 quarter triple triple diamond) and swapped out all 6 chips form the old board to the new board. Both boards are 10mhz boards and looked identical. the dip switches are set as they were on the old board.
Old Board P/N: 75505704 Rev B 1096 GTC
New Board P/N: 75505704 Rev B 2496 GTC
The dip switches are set as follows:
1-off, 2- on, 3-on, 4 thru 8 are off.

Its time to fire it off. I plugged it in and immediately got the 61 error code. From there I'm stuck as what to do next. I tried to follow the typical home settings for the SP1271 family of S+ game chips but I have no idea whether or not this procedure even applies. I can't get rid of the 61 code unless i start pushing buttons and turning the key. Please note that I do have a bill validator and I can hear it firing off when I power up. Thats good I'm assuming.

Anyways, if there is a procedure a rookie can follow to get this beast up and running, I would greatly appreciate the help. Please comment on the position of the dip switches as well. I'm sure the position of those are AFU too.

poppo

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

I can't get rid of the 61 code unless i start pushing buttons and turning the key.

Please comment on the position of the dip switches as well. I'm sure the position of those are AFU too.

For the error, see this

http://www.newlifegames.net/igterrors/

The SP1271 does not use the dip switches, so it doesn't matter what position they are in.

* SP1271.doc (95 KB - downloaded 180 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »

61 is a very common error.  Use the chart that poppo linked to and you should be good to go -- let us know if you can't get past the 61 error.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
GSD Dan

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 01:08:53 AM »

No joy guys, depressing test for two to three seconds didn't do anything to clear the 61 error. It just comes back. Is there anything else I can try before my clear and set chip comes in the mail?
poppo

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 01:12:23 AM »

Do you have a different game chip (totally different SP)? Sometimes changing the game chip temporarily will get you out of the 61 loop.

And are you sure your door optics are ok?
GSD Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 01:15:36 AM »

Just the one that can with the game. Since I'm just starting out, I don't have anything yet. 
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »

How are your soldering skills?
GSD Dan

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:23 AM »

I've removed a chip from a tv set and soldered in a new one without any issues. I bet I could take on a challenging task. What's up your sleeve?
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 02:44:21 AM »

You could unsolder (one leg) the battery, then resolder it.  I'd honestly just wait for your clear chip as you may well wind up needing it anyway to get out of the 61 loop, but if you're bored...

To be clear, before you break out the soldering iron, is the 61 vanishing from the display after you press the button, then re-appearing a second or two later?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:50:15 AM by knagl » Logged

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
poppo

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »

You could unsolder (one leg) the battery, then resolder it. 

How would that help any more than just pulling the CMOS (static RAM) chip? Scratch Head
GSD Dan

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »

Please - no offense intended, but wouldn't Poppo's comment be doing the same thing as pulling the battery?

To answer your question: Yes, when depressing the test button the 61 error code goes away but returns shortly after release or if help longer, it comes back.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »

I trust Poppo's opinion and do think he may be right.
I wanted you to unsolder the battery like knagl said, but there's a little trick that sometimes works.

Pull out the CMOS chip and rub all the legs on something metal like a butter knife - trying to ground out the legs.
That sometimes screws up the data in the CMOS just enough
so that when you re-installed it - the machine is forced to re-write the CMOS data.
GSD Dan

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »

Now that's something I can handle. I'll try that as soon as I get home from work. Thx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.