Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 05:00:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  No Disp but the display works......
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Disp but the display works......  (Read 7288 times)
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 14

I like Tacos

« on: June 16, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »

I've had this problem for a while but finally got around to getting parts.  I've had the machine for a couple of years now.  When I first got the machine, it did fine.  It would sit for a while without being used and I would turn it on every once in a while to make sure all was well.  One day I turned it on, and nothing happened on the display (VF).  The machine on the LED display said NO DISP.  Obvious what it means.  So I turn the machine off for a couple of seconds and turn it back on, display works.  Fine for a while.  It does this a few times over the course of a few months steadily getting worse and worse.  I'll make this quick.  I ended up finding a SMD capacitor that went bad and popped the board because of the heat and it scewed up the display.  While all this was happening, the machine said NO DISP on the leds but the VFD kind of worked.  I stuck a fork in it for a while.  Well today, I got a new display board and VFD that came from a working machine.  Both boards had the 07eprom in it so I didn't change anything, but now the display is fine and the machine says "Displays NETPLEX link is down" and stays there while the machine loads up and says NO DISP.  I swapped main boards and the problem sticks with the machine.  Any ideas before I rip this thing apart?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:15:36 AM »

I'd start by pulling the reels out and checking to make sure the power supply behind them hasn't wiggled loose.
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »

Swapped power supply with another machine I have.  This machine has the better sound and back lit reels if it means anything.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »

S2000s use 1 of 2 power rated supplies, but it shouldn't matter in your case. The supplies have a habit of wiggling loose if the set screw isn't tightened and the supply doesn't get a good plug connection. Did swapping them make a differance? What MPU board does your machine use? 502, 504, 1270?
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:53:35 AM »

Swapping did not make a difference.  Swapped mpus between my moolah and this machine  and the problem stays with the machine.  The MPU in it currently is a 504B1 Rev B Hencho en Mexico.  I guess thats right
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:29:53 AM »

Sounds like you've tried most of the common stuff. Might be time to start unplugging and replugging everything to make sure those connections are good. Does the bill validator cycle again each time the display goes out and comes back?
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:03:31 AM »

Display doesnt go out.  IT just stays at the NETPLEX down message.  Bill unit cycles once as it should.  I've unplugged the reels, hopper, bill unit, printer and coin mech individually and at the same time.
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 03:04:52 AM »

If this was an S+ machine, I would look at replacing that 8 pin dip IC on the backplane board but I am a bit rusty on these S2000's.  I've been out of the slot repair business for a few years now......
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 05:57:50 AM »

Make sure that no plugs are disconnected at the motherboard.
The display is netplex as you can tell.
they are at the bottom of the motherboard as it is mounted in the machine.
The BV one has 12 pins and most likely has 2 complete sets of wires going to it.
What they call the printer netplex port is just above the power connection at the motherboard.
it may have more than one set of wires or larger wires coming from it.
I just got done ripping mine apart to find a shorted wire at the BV (its door wires)

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »

Does anyone know where the wires come from that go to the display board?  A schematic or something.

I already checked to make sure everything was pluged in back there.  It all appears good.
Slotmaster
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »

Does anyone know where the wires come from that go to the display board?  A schematic or something.

I already checked to make sure everything was pluged in back there.  It all appears good.
It will say netplex down if either the main board does not boot or it's not connected to the backplane (netplex) and can not communicate. 

Possible the display board is bad too, if I am reading correct you did not swap the VFD board?

Does the CPU have all the proper lights lit and does the game play, just no display?
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »

Look at the door IO board, it will cause a"No Display" error.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 03:46:43 PM »

Which board is the door I/O board?  The one attatched in the middle of the door on the right with the 12 or 14 pin connector?

And I have swapped everything as in the power supply, cpu board, display, display board, ribbon cables, reels, bill unit, etc.  I have a working machine right beside it that I am using as a "parts machine".  It has got to be related to the backplane board or the wiring harness or something else that stays with the machine.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »

I just made a mistake it's not the IO that causes this error it's THE VFD board.( or what ever the hell it's called ) It is located on the outside of the inner door panel , you should see the ribbon cable going from the VFD to it.

On your good machine unplug one of the connections going to this board and see if you get the same error, ( I did ) and it did !!!!

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »

When I swap that board with the good one from the other machine, I get the same error.  When I put the "bad" one in the good machine, it works fine.
brianfink
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 20

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »

you might want to try removeing the clip that holds the red and black wires on your vfd board some times by doing this you can get a better connection and it's easy to just pull it off and put it back if it doesnt help if that don't do it your probly gonna have to un plug everything from your back plane and clean your connects or swap the back plane sounds like you've tryed all the easy stuff if u havent already done this try disconecting your tower light and all the other lights and swap you i/o boards
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:17:28 PM by brianfink » Logged
whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 12:37:55 AM »

Got a little farther.  I think it is the backplane board.......

I was digging around in there getting ready to start pulling wiring harnesses to get this narrowed down when I saw a connector that had the same color wires as the display board.  It was labeled NETPLEX.  Hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.  I look under that connector and there is another one that is labeled NETPLEX but has different wires and more power wires.  I scratched my head and thought "I'll bet that all these NETPLEX ports are the same.  The top half is the serial bus and the bottom half of the connector is the power.  So I swapped them and the display issue is fixed!  But now the candle doesn't work.  So I guess that the line for it is dead and died in the backplane board.  Don't really want to spend too much money on that thing, but I will.

Is that board called the "motherboard"  or is it the interconnect board or the backplane board?  Anything specific to get?
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:41 AM »

The candle is not part of the netplex
Candle actually connected to the Cabinet I/O board

whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 01:15:48 AM »

Well since I swapped those 2, my candle doesn't light up and the bill unit does not communicate.  Where can I get another backplane board?
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 01:27:27 AM »

Check www.rudysdeals.com or ebay
You need the correct version
if 501, 502, 504 mpu then you need the i960 motherboard.
If i is an Enhanced MPU then the matching motherboard which is easy to spot it has two 15 Amp fuses near the power connector.
www.rudysdeals.com has the enhanced motherboard available

I have seen both on eBay for about $25.00 each the last time I looked.

The netplex ports are all near the bottom of the motherboard (none are near the top) those up there are SENET
this is with the motherboard mounted in a upright machine.
The only netplex harness that has more than a 10 pin connector is the BV (on mine there is 2 complete sets of netplex wires that come from it as well as the 2 for the switch on the BV door.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:45:24 AM by Foster » Logged

whitehooptie
Contributing NLG Member

I like Tacos

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 02:18:48 AM »

I think I'll be alright.  Went over the pins with my iron and all seems well.  I'll leave it on all night to make sure it gets toasty and works ok.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.